Direct from SRT: Revised 2010+ Transmission Prototypes!

Reaction score
By special arrangement with our friends at Mopar and SRT, Viper Parts of America is very pleased to offer a VERY limited number of prototype Tremec TR6060 six-speed transmissions. These 2010 transmissions not only have the revised and improved 5th gear ratio (0.80 vs. 0.74), but a very special upgrade to the sixth gear ratio as well: 0.63 vs. 0.50.

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...d-transmission-new-factory-gearing-68083527aa

A direct swap for 2008 - 2010 Vipers, these transmissions are coming out of the latest test vehicles and we have the first ones ready to ship. Have a 2003 - 2006 Viper and want the latest, greatest, and rarest factory Viper transmission? We have a special kit that should allow you to swap them with minimal effort:

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...-dodge-viper-2010-transmission-conversion-kit

With the 2010 transmissions already on back order from Mopar as of this writing, this is your chance to get a factory-tested transmission with superior gear ratios - great for those high speed runs on closed courses and long straights!

As always, thanks for helping us support the Viper Club of America - additional discounts are available to VCA and Venom members too!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. I have had a Gen IV transmission with those gear ratios since last Fall and it makes a world of difference. Fifth gear can be used as low as 40 MPH and sixth gear provides enough acceleration, if needed, on the highway to be useable. For those of you with a supercharged Gen III, the large drop off out of the sweet spot when you shift out of fourth at about 165 MPH ( assuming stock diff gearing) is cured. It is a great mod.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested. The only thing that concerns me is that these were out of a group of test vehicles. I know some test engineers, they are brutal on the hardware for durability testing reasons. Would these transmissions have had a much harder "1000 miles" than most in that case? Are any of the internals beefed up too?

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
We provide a warranty with these against any defects or issues at the time of install. The SRT engineers were pretty adamant about the quality of these when we got them as they personally made sure they were up to the full standards of the Viper - past, present, and future. As they were being tested as recently as this past week, suffice it to say they are built to the latest standards by the experts at Tremec and SRT. These are Viper-specific units with the Viper logo cast into the main case. We still have a few left!

Thanks for your interest and helping us support the Viper Club of America.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just purchased one of these TR6060 close ratio 6 speed prototypes for a client. I spoke with Chris (VPA) in depth about the quality of these gear boxes and believe it's a good score! We have faith in the SRT Engineering Group. In my opinion it's a great foundation for a Mile Car, so we're going to micro polished all gear sets, install a set of Kevlar lined syncro rings, CNC milled shift pads and plumb it for the oil pump..:D

Thanks for the trick gear box VPA!!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression (told this by two transmission shops) that the T6060 already has micro polished gear sets.

David,

Production Viper gear boxes do not come with micro-polished gear sets. Your transmission shop may be reffering to a ground or shaved style process? Micro-polished gears sets are typically used in race and high performance street applications.

Our client purchased this TR6060 because it had all the right stuff (close ratio 5th & 6th gears manufacture installed) and would be a solid install as is, but this guy wants the best so we're going to deliver the goods..:D

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info gents. I've ordered one. I'll be installing it in my '06 coupe, also being built for standing mile events.

Tony

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission arrived yesterday, nicely packed in a wooden crate. I can't wait to install it, but I'll be doing it in a month or two.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking for a replacement transmission for my 1996 GTS? I would like to eliminate the neutral gear rattle and lurching common in early Gen II transmissions. What are my options?

James Taylor

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Donato of Donato Engineering is a retired SRT tranny engineer. He can do whatever you need done to the tranny. Mine was disassembled; shot ball peened; upgraded second gear synchro installed; and .8 and .63 fifth and sixth gears installed. NGR was significantly reduced. The performance benfits are discussed in my post above.

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have purchased these - we have already heard some GREAT things about those that have already installed them. We just received the last few that SRT would part with this past week, freshly crated in Detroit. These are Viper-specific transmissions built especially for the Dodge Viper - Viper logo stamped right into the case itself.

With more stock on the way (engines, etc.) we need to find these some new homes soon. In order to help that process along, we will include free shipping anywhere in the continental US or Canada for the next few buyers. So not only will you get the latest and greatest Viper transmissions, but it won't cost you anything extra to get them shipped right to your door. And don't forget that you could save as much as 20% on the transmission itself if you are a VCA Venom member. This is one heck of an upgrade for any Gen III or Gen IV Viper!

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...d-transmission-new-factory-gearing-68083527aa

Thanks for helping us support the Viper Club of America.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to the transmission design, neutral gear rattle is often caused by engine impulses sent back through the driveline.

In later model Viper engines, that pulse has been significantly reduced, so just by changing out the transmission, neutral gear rattle may still be present.

As a side note it is amazing how Dodge has made these prototype transmissions available to the VCA membership. Often times these will be destroyed, sent back to the manufacturer, or used in further development work. Tip of the hat for Dodge making this offer. Pretty special to have such a close working relationship with the factory.

For those into high speed tracks, open road racing, ring attacks or longer than 1/4 mile drags this new ratio will be very welcome. The fact that this is the latest and greatest Viper transmission with the strengthen gear train to handle the latest 600 hp Vipers, is a huge plus for those looking for the best available tranny.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it is a Gen V tranny with a .63 sixth gear, I think it is a good bet that it is stronger than the Gen IV tranny since the Gen V will probably have at least more HP than the ZR1 and probably at or close to 700 HP. It would appear to be a great tranny for Gen III supercharged applications, built motors and/or some lower HP turbo appliactions. I would guess it has one or more upgraded synchros and that some or all of its parts were shot ball peened for greater strength. Perhaps Dodge will tell VPA and VPA can post here whther any of my guesses are correct. Of course any good tranny person can probably tell by examining the tranny.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info gents. I've ordered one. I'll be installing it in my '06 coupe, also being built for standing mile events.

Tony

Tony, you do realize that you will be limiting the top speed of your car to 205 MPH down from 221 MPH with the stock .74 5th gear?;) If you are close to stock power levels, it should not affect the top speed anyway. having the RPM's drop to only 5000 with the .8 will help a lot as compared to the 4600 RPM drop with the .74!

Even with a turbo car making 700-800 RWHP, this will be a lot better as well;)

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it is a Gen V tranny with a .63 sixth gear, I think it is a good bet that it is stronger than the Gen IV tranny since the Gen V will probably have at least more HP than the ZR1 and probably at or close to 700 HP. It would appear to be a great tranny for Gen III supercharged applications, built motors and/or some lower HP turbo appliactions. I would guess it has one or more upgraded synchros and that some or all of its parts were shot ball peened for greater strength. Perhaps Dodge will tell VPA and VPA can post here whther any of my guesses are correct. Of course any good tranny person can probably tell by examining the tranny.

I did a 6060 conversion on a Gen 2 turbo car I built and that was the first time I felt a 6060 transmission. It sure is silky smooth! From what I have seen with some of my customers with 1000+ RWHP turbo Vipers, I think the 6060 will do fine with whatever power level the Gen V will be able to muster!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, you do realize that you will be limiting the top speed of your car to 205 MPH down from 221 MPH with the stock .74 5th gear?;) If you are close to stock power levels, it should not affect the top speed anyway. having the RPM's drop to only 5000 with the .8 will help a lot as compared to the 4600 RPM drop with the .74!

Even with a turbo car making 700-800 RWHP, this will be a lot better as well;)

I'm currently between 650-674 rwhp via Paxton on stock engine. The car ran 180.1 mph at the standing mile, yet traps 132-135 in the quarter mile. There were two stock 2010 Vipers at the mile event that weekend, both ran faster than my car, with less rwhp. Simply due to my 5th gear dropping out of boost because the rpm drop is so bad. I also run a taller tire at the mile. 4th gen transmission is horrible for a supercharged mile run, not so bad for a turbo car that builds boost at lower rpm.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently between 650-674 rwhp via Paxton on stock engine. The car ran 180.1 mph at the standing mile, yet traps 132-135 in the quarter mile. There were two stock 2010 Vipers at the mile event that weekend, both ran faster than my car, with less rwhp. Simply due to my 5th gear dropping out of boost because the rpm drop is so bad. I also run a taller tire at the mile. 4th gen transmission is horrible for a supercharged mile run, not so bad for a turbo car that builds boost at lower rpm.

Tony, one other main reason for your car trapping 180 MPH is because the Paxton intercooler setup gets heat soaked by the time you are in it for a mile. You are still making a decent amount of torque with your Paxton by 4600 RPM with the stock .74 5th gear, yes? From what I remember from the Paxton dyno graphs, they are making almost their peak torque by 4500 RPM. That's the great thing about turbos is that when you hit the 5th gear, the load from the drag and gearing will make that the turbos pull as hard as they will/can by 150-160 MPH and INSTANTLY I might add....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem. As mentioned above, I changed out fifth and sixth gears to .8 and .63 respectively. The shift out of fourth problem is cured. The .74 fifth gear is an overdrive gear and, at least for the two of us, is useless for standing mile events and velocity testing in Mexico.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... There were two stock 2010 Vipers at the mile event that weekend, both ran faster than my car, with less rwhp. Simply due to my 5th gear dropping out of boost because the rpm drop is so bad.

Viperless's standing mile runs during that Texas Mile event were done on a 2009 Gen IV. I don't think Keith has changed his gearing.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperless's standing mile runs during that Texas Mile event were done on a 2009 Gen IV. I don't think Keith has changed his gearing.
That's correct. I had the stock .74 5th gear when I ran the mile. Would love to have been able to see what a .80 5th gear would have done.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
That's correct. I had the stock .74 5th gear when I ran the mile. Would love to have been able to see what a .80 5th gear would have done.

Didn't you run 18's or something?. I seem to remember watching a vid of your runs and the speed in gears was different than stock. Redlining at 148 mph in 4th or something like that.

Anyways, if I had the extra coin I would grab one of the last tranny's left. Looks like a pretty good deal.

OP
OP
V
Reaction score
The link posted above to see the product for sale doesnt work?

Yeah, we had a couple guys ask us to put one aside for them but have not received payment on them yet. We ahead and put them back on the site, so give it another shot. Thanks for your interest and support!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you run 18's or something?. I seem to remember watching a vid of your runs and the speed in gears was different than stock. Redlining at 148 mph in 4th or something like that.

Anyways, if I had the extra coin I would grab one of the last tranny's left. Looks like a pretty good deal.

Yes, 18's with a drag radial that was 1" shorter than stock tire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave