Do "non-driving" spouses pay the full registration fee?

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do \"non-driving\" spouses pay the full registration fee?

I'm looking forward to attending my first VOI in Dallas and I'd like to bring my "non-driving" spouse. I went through most of the online registration to see if there was a less expensive guest fee. It looks like all adults pay $795 to attend. I'd like to hear what others are doing with respect to registering their spouses for VOI8. I assume if you don't register, your spouse may be left standing on the outside of the party! Teaching her how to drive a 6-speed before then is not a realistic option...or maybe that's what Dodge brings their cars for :)

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Do

Always has been this way. Seems strange, but that's how it is! We never asked for a change. Maybe it's time. Fiona... how tough can this be?
PBR

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My guess is that they do a cost estimate and then just divide it by the anticipated head count. Be careful what you ask for! Track participants may be paying $1200 each when the "non-drivers" are no longer subsidizing some of the costs!
Regards!
Sam Goldfarb
Ohio VCA Secretary

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK-
I'll bite again Sam.
So I'll suggest there be a "spouse or significant other" charge.
These folks don't drive the track, much less the autocross or the off road events. They act as navigators on the cruise, and the worst thing they do is eat the food!
I think one "goody bag" per car is enough.
The cost has to be less than the full boat!
Let me know if I'm out in left field here!
My $ .02
PBR

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well, except there are fixed costs of hiring Skip Barber, bringing Neons and Ram and Dakotas, building whatever course for autocrossing / off roading, etc. Then you'll need extra folks at each venue checking to see if the participants have the right credentials. Very complicated for a Viper Owners Invitational where folks are mostly coming for car related activities.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony-
Sold the GTS, truck and Trailer as a package. Friend-net did it, no hastle, got my asking price.
SO---Barb might show up without me!

Janni-
You are exceptional. I understand the idea of fixed costs.
There already are those folks at the different venues checking for the right credentials, so that is not a cost adder.
I'm wondering what would happen ($ wise) if all the Viper owners showed up WITHOUT spouse/significant others and just paid the asking price. Think about that for a minute.

IT WOULD BE A DISASTER!! Think about it. 50% of the meals, no extra rooms at the hotel, BUT, potentially 50% more Vipers for the same headcount!

Let's face it, most spouses don't drive the track, off road, autocross and such. They just EAT THE FOOD!

I think it's time we looked at a different pricing strategy both at VOI's AND and the ZONE events.

Sorry to be different, but I have to push the envelope and ask the questions.

PBR

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I completely disagree - there were tons of spouses (read that to mean women) sat each of hte venues - autocrossing, road course, SKIDPAD. In our group all the women participated - with the lowest concentration being the road course, but I'd say 30% did that.

No one is intimidated by a Neon and folks had a blast. With a little encouragement, geting them on the skidpad was the best thing - they were often better than the guys.

It's part of the experience - don't break it out.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul has a very valid point. For those guests (or spouses or whatever you wish to call them) it is not fair that they pay $795 for food! And only one goody bag?? Paul, was there not 2 prices at our last zone rendezvous? One for those driving and one for those who just came along to eat?!
Can someone set up a poll to see how many guests drove the track events at VOI 7?

OP
OP

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There has to be a better way to accompany spouses who would like to attend but do not participate in the driving activities. It seems like there would be a lot of interest in having non-driving spouses purchase tickets for each of the nightly social events. For example, if a spouse wants to attend every non-driving social event their total cost would be 50% of the total driver's cost. I'm having a hard time justifying the expense. Leaving her at home is not an option as I already have a couple annual trips where it is just the "guys only". Who can implement this accomodating style of pricing for VOI 8?

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Terry-
Forget the pricing structure for VOI8.
I'm sure it's set in stone and there will be no changes.
They had to start somewhere, and they did the best they could, using history as a model.

I appreciate your input, and PLEASE keep the ideas coming.
I'm sure Kim and Fiona are listening for future events.

Craig- the last Zone Event might have had tiered pricing.
I'm so old I forget these things!

Janni-
If only 30% of the spouses (or whoever) participate, then 70% are overpaying from my point of view. I'm sorry I have to be the squeeky wheel here, but since the prices keep going up, I have to say something, or I can't continure to participate in the GREATEST PARTY PUT ON BY A CAR COMPANY EVER!
PBR

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Terry-
Forget the pricing structure for VOI8.
I'm sure it's set in stone and there will be no changes.
They had to start somewhere, and they did the best they could, using history as a model.

I appreciate your input, and PLEASE keep the ideas coming.
I'm sure Kim and Fiona are listening for future events.

..................I have to say something, or I can't continure to participate in the GREATEST PARTY PUT ON BY A CAR COMPANY EVER!
PBR

I had to think hard too.... I always bring my brother along, he just enjoys the food and partying... I'd bet it (sadly) costs the full amount per head with the bottomless bars. If they went to a pay bar situation, bet costs would be a lot different.

Oh, the the fond memories of VOI.1 (at around $200), and Monterey, the only one I missed :( , that included a free hardtop with each registration! My favorite was VOI.1 in Detroit, followed by the Orlando shrimpfest.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yo

Well, from my perspective, going to VOI without a Viper is right up there with self mutilation.

Without my Viper there, the best I might muster is "auditing" whatever I can while staying at Motel 6.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: yo

My wife loves the VOI. She hops right in the vehicle just like i do. I would not change a thing with the VOI's. You do have a choice, you can leave your wives at home.

Take your wives to an empty parking lot & teach them to drive a manual transmission vehicle. Your wife will thank you for it later.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank-
FYI-
The wife's daily driver is a 400 HP 6 Spd Caddy CTS-V.
I don't need to teach her to drive a manual transmission vehicle.

She just doesn't like to drive in the crowds.

I'll still stand by everything I've said above.
Tiered pricing is needed.

I'm not sure why "those that do" would complain about "those that don't". I think of it as a "pay as you play" plan!

PBR

OP
OP

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad to see there are some spouses out there that will be taking advantage of VOI 8. At this point I'm not planning to attend because I just can't justify paying $800 for a non-driving spouse. I have heard nothing but good about past VOI's but I guess I won't be too upset if I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe for the next VOI the pricing will be a little more spouse friendly.

Terry

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul, I'd like to have your wife's daily driver. I'm stuck in a work van all day....

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm glad someone brought this up. I have to completely agree there ought to be separate pricing schemes. Because of the current pricing scheme there will actually be at least 2 less people coming. (me and my brother). My wife is not at all interested in coming, however, my brother was planning on flying out to Austin and joining me for the trip up and just hanging out. He is good friends with one of the club's founders so it would have been extra fun for him. However, due to the cost, he decided not to pay $800 just to sit around and watch me have fun and I've decided not to come as well since I don't want to come without him.

Change the policy and VOI will grow.

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm glad other people are bringing this up because I have try to bring this up before and somebody told me that is what you local club are for.I would like to go but my wife would not be driving either,let the people who wants to drive the track drive and paid for it,that way there would be a lot more viper and members at these VOI.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe-
Fiona--

We have over two years to figure this out for VOI-9.

I'll volunteer to help figure this out, and come se ya'll on my $$ to brainstorm ways to do this.
PBR

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My wife loved VOI 7, but she won't be driving this year. We are signed up, but might have to pull out b/c of the cost. 800 just to go to the banquet is a but out of whack.

She, unfortunately, isn't in any "condition" to be driving this year.

JD

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Keep it coming! Let's document all the suggestions.

Personally (not a Presidential statement), I always thought of VOI as a "Club Med" experience. You pay the same price whether you participate in the "inclusives" (water skiing, scuba, shows, fitness instruction, trapeze... well, you get the idea) .. or not. You can eat TONS of food, drink wine and beer all night ... or not. This seems to be the same concept that has been offered at VOI. ALL the options are available to all the registrants (obviously the track time is limited if you don't have access to your Viper, or your spouse' Viper), but Dodge has frequently provided autocross and track venues where you are offered their vehicles (hill climb with Rams, Neon autocross, Skip Barber skidpad, SRT-10 autocross) which helps those that are "snakeless" at the event. Additionally, the catered food for the entire event, entertainment and of course OPEN BAR, surely makes the fee quite realistic. Now include discounted room rates at a five star hotel, transportation to and from venues, and all the goodies and I think even a non-driver is getting lots of bang for the buck.

I'll keep quiet now...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I always thought of VOI as a "Club Med" experience. You pay the same price whether you participate in the "inclusives" (water skiing, scuba, shows, fitness instruction, trapeze... well, you get the idea) ..

My wife agrees with this concept. Kind of like taking a cruise. This will be our second VOI. We had a great time in Nashville, including the parade(a real adventure when we were tossed back out on the freeway..clueless as to where we were in a massive downpour). As we drive our car where ever we take it, this will be about a 3000 mile ride for us. The trip there and back is part of the experience. We may even stick around for the Viper Days event.

That being said, from a cost standpoint, it is quite expensive. Personally I don't need some of the amenities provided. I would have no problem paying for my own drinks and taking care of breakfast and lunch myself. As for the $15 dollar break on the hotel, I would bet any number of cards ie. AAA,AARP would get you the same deal any time of the year. $15 dollars is not even 10%.

I would ask the question. Does our registration include covering the cost of any DC or VCA guys/spouses coming down to mix and mingle with the rank and file? It shouldn't. They, or at least their spouses, should pay their way just like the rest of us. I also don't think we should bear any cost involved with bringing down the cars/trucks we 'test' out. After all, the whole idea of this is to get us to buy more DC products.

I have been to other 3-4 day car show conventions, with factory representation, where we rented a road course for a full day and a drag strip for a half day and the cost was around $200 for both. This was with about 120 cars. My wife did not have to share in any of this cost. I'm guessing this trip will run around $4000 dollars for us.

Bottom line is........this a great event and this year we will spend the money to go again, but like all things Viper--it ain't cheap!

Steve

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Agree, we can ALWAYS suggest a lower price per participant.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would ask the question. Does our registration include covering the cost of any DC or VCA guys/spouses coming down to mix and mingle with the rank and file? It shouldn't. They, or at least their spouses, should pay their way just like the rest of us. I also don't think we should bear any cost involved with bringing down the cars/trucks we 'test' out. After all, the whole idea of this is to get us to buy more DC products

Joe,

What about these questions I had? Does our registration subsidize any of the above?

Thanks

Steve

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hotel discount is not all that great

There are at least two events held at the exact same venue that are within 60 days of VOI that I have personal knowledge of that are closer to the $100-$110/night range for the hotel rooms as a special "event price". And they don't require you to pre-reserve over 90 days before the event itself. The early departure penalty of $50 is pretty crappy. There's no good reason that there needs to be a required number of nights to stay at a hotel for the event when you're not even required to stay at that same hotel to attend the event. There's certainly room for improvement with this.

The Gaylord Texan does indeed look like a great hotel, but the normal rooms are not lavish. It's a 5 star "resort", but most of the rooms are pretty much run of the mill from a size and amenities standpoint.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hotel discount is not all that great

There is a 15% discount on the VOI fee for regional officers on the registration fee. Regional officers will be required to attend meetings and may be asked to do other administrative stuff. There is no hotel discount.

I would assume National officers get the same event discount.

As far as other DC folks, I am not sure - but I would imagine that it is a corporate expense, NOT a VCA expense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62