Do the Gen4 Vipers have a black box?

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read about the electronic data recorders (EDR's) on the Nissan GT-R. The most intrusive being the vehicle status data recorder (VSDR) that records your every action for almost a week!:omg:

Corvettes have an EDR also and GM claims that they will be able to shut down the vehicle through the OnStar System to assist law enforcement in the near future.

Do the 08 and 09 Vipers have electronic data recorders on board?
If so, what data is stored?

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should install an in cockpit recording device like on planes on acounta how many 08's are crashing. You could listen to the last 2 min before the 08 Viper crash like they do with planes. It would probabaly go like this "wanna see how fast i can go on this cold damp morning on this one lane coutry road? 40...50...60...oh crap ive lost it its sideways aahhhhh!" *end of in cockpit tape

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it would be funny if they installed a vacuum gauge on the driver & passenger seats (pucker factor:lmao:). You see where this is going...:devgrin:

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know the 08's record certain parameters when an engine code is triggered.
OBD2 cars have been doing that for a while. Its generally done so that techs can diagnose intermittent problems they can't reproduce. Its generally not useful for logging "abuse" because the vast majority of CEL codes have nothing to do with anything that can harm the engine (thats pretty much limited to over-revving, excessive knock and excessive overheating).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62