Door Window not attached

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My passenger side door window on my 2001 GTS won't go up. I took the door panel apart and discovered that the window is not attached to the part that goes up and down. I have no idea what the part would be called or how it's intended to connect to the window.

Does anyone have an exploded view parts drawing that would show the part I need and possibly how it's connected to the window?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stopped by a dealer today to have them take a look at it and figure out what I need. The little slide/clip that connects to the window is what broke so a replace of the entire window regulator is what Dodge says to do. The regulators are no longer available and the service guy did find the clip by itself on amazon. So I'll be ordering the clips and replacing them myself. Now that that I know what the problem is I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts on here about it and should be able to find someone else's DIY guide.

OP
OP
D

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just an update, never did find a DIY guide despite all the post with the exact same problem. It was a pretty simple job, once I realized I needed to take the entire regulator assembly out, and it comes out quite easily. Don't waste your time trying to replace the clip in the door. :(

If you're lucky and the clip broke like mine so that the cables still had tension, be sure not to operate the motor once you remove tension, not an issue if you take it out of the door in the first place. If your cables came loose in the door and you operated the motor your cables are likely twisted up in the motor. With some care and pulling on the cables you my be able to operate the motor back and fort and work the cables loose, I was lucky.

Replacing the clip was easy. It just snaps on and off the rail. A bit scary as it seems like it should break but it goes on quite easily really.

Had I take the assembly out to start with, the only hard part would have been reattaching the cables to the new clip. There is no slack in the cables so getting them into place was a challenge. I ended up using a combination of vice grip and pliers to compress the springs on the cables and force the ends into the clip.

I did notice in some of the old threads that the clips were pretty expensive, $50 or more. The ones I bought I were from Amazon and were about $13 with shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Viper-Gen-Window-Regulator/dp/B00HYYLKSQ