Dr. Colorchip

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is wow. Just fixed a couple of nicks on my 2006 FE, perfect match and easy as heck. Also got the stone white for the stripes. Funny though, their website has the stone white as a 2007 Viper color (yea I know there is no such thing). I tried taking pics before and after but my camera didn't show the nics well enough.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick at Unique Car Care was telling me about this stuff and that he uses it too... He's actually located over in Wakefield, MA. I went over there this week, great guy. I'll be having my car somewhat restored with him sometime this summer or next spring. :2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...
I have seen the commercials for the kit.
I was wondering if it worked better than my "sharpie"...:)

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the same product and had a poor experience. I followed all of the instructions and found that it did not work as advertised.

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the same product and had a poor experience. I followed all of the instructions and found that it did not work as advertised.

I had the same experience :( but there's a lot of products that fall into that category;)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a Google search on the product. You will find a very detailed presentation by a Porsche owner in the U.K. with photos of the before and after. It has some benefit but apparently not as much as represented in the ads.

93rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used this stuff several times with great luck. Makes scratches and small front end road wear disappear. Doesn't work for big nicks, but I was impressed enough to take the time to write this.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak to its effectiveness on bigger nicks. My car only had some small stuff. It worked great on those. Completely invisible repair. The longer you let it dry before wiping the secret sauce over it the better. No longer than 2 hours though.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my personal experience, I have found that both Dr. Colorchip and Langka products both work as advertised, but only if you follow the instructions to the letter. Any deviation whatsoever and the results that you will get are going to be sub par.

In reality, that's true with anything. If Tiger Woods gave you his clubs, you will still only shoot as well as your lousy game. :D

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but wanted to resurrect it b/c I just finally got around to using Dr. Colorchip kit. I had the same experience as 2 of the guys in this thread, being that it didn't act as advertised, but this is only b/c the "blending solution" didn't do anything unless I rubbed like a MQ$%@ Fu$^@$^er. I mean 30# of pressure or something, I know this can't be right. The videos and testimonials say to not rub at all hardly and it comes off in like a few seconds. I had to rub sooooo hard and for like a minute (I was tired by the time it was over) for it to come off. Is it possible that I got an old solution or something? I'm planning to call Monday and see if they can help, but I thought a few of you on here who love it can help me as well???? :dunno: The paint was great, and eventually after doing each chip for like 10 times (b/c I had to rub so hard it would come out) I got "ok" marginal results b/c I still have to rub so hard I can't get it to lay perfect, i'm gonna just toss it out I guess. I let the paint dry as long as they recommend and followed the instructions to the letter and watched several vids on it, then experimented with 2X longer, then 3X, 4X and then doing it instantly to see if anything changed and still got the same results, it seems like it was instant bond and the solution did jack crap to get it off, I know this can't be right, any ideas :dunno:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call them and see what they say. They will be able to give you much better advice than anyone here. They are very helpful on the phone.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer you let the paint dry, the harder it will be to get off. The more I pay attention to the detail, the better I do ... I'm just not that much of a perfectionist or patient enough to do a seamless repair.

It also sounds like you may have had an issue with your solvent. Definitely give them a call

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will do, yeah I know this can't be right, the solvent did nada unless I rubbed so hard it hurt and even then it took forever to get it off :dunno:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well just an update, I called Dr. Colorchip like you all requested, and they are great! Finally a company that seems to give a crap. Guy was very nice (one of the owners) and said that the paint should not act like that, it should come off easily and that it could have been mixed at the bottom of a supply so they are sending me a whole new kit which I think is top notch. Hopefully it will act the way it is suppose to, I'm excited to see the results if the solution acts as it is should. Just wanted to post how great the service was at this company. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had that problem with my kit. Left the color on for an hour or more and the solvent took the residual right off with minimal pressure. Again I've had great results but I've only used it for those really tiny nicks as I've fortunately not had any big ones. Don't know if it would adequately fill a larger nick and I hope I don't have to find out. By the way I would use some alcohol or something first to make sure there is no wax on the repair site.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did use alcohol, I think the paint was just tainted i some way, hopefully the new kit will work like you said, I'll post back.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well just an update, I called Dr. Colorchip like you all requested, and they are great! Finally a company that seems to give a crap. Guy was very nice (one of the owners) and said that the paint should not act like that, it should come off easily and that it could have been mixed at the bottom of a supply so they are sending me a whole new kit which I think is top notch. Hopefully it will act the way it is suppose to, I'm excited to see the results if the solution acts as it is should. Just wanted to post how great the service was at this company. :2tu:

Thanks for the update, I think I'll call Dr. Colorchip to see if they will make good on my kit as well. I'll post the results.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Results are in on the new kit. The paint seems to be better then the first kit, still not as advertised IMO, as if I didn't apply some amount of pressure I don't think it would eve come off, but I did have about as good a touch up job as I think you can get without taking it to a body shop and repainting. I used it on a long scratch (about 2") from the previous owner who did an absolute HORRIBLE touch up job. The paint was just brushed on the side of the car as well as the scratch. I know Dr. Colorchip is not for these but I thought, what the heck it couldn't look any worse. The scary part was that I actually had to "scratch" the crappy paint out of the scratch with a sharp tool to get it down to the bare panel again. I took me a couple of hours being VERY carefull refilling the scratch with the Dr. Colorchip paint and slowly using a straight edge with their"solution" to knock it down level. The results were great. My thoughts on this kit is that it is a very nice touch up kit, but don't expect for everything to disappear if you are as anal as I am. Seems to be worth the 40 bucks though, definitely to me because of how you can "remove" the paint which with normal stuff I don't think you can do, at least not as easy with a solution like Dr. Colorchip offers. No reason to get the bigger kit though, the basic kit will do hundreds of chips, I don't know why they say it is only for 12 or something :dunno: I took pictures of the process, I'll post them if they came out ok.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for the update. I told you that they were very cool to deal with.

One thing that anyone reading this thread has to take into consideration. The expectation levels and the abilities of each individual using this product varies. Not everyone using this stuff is going to follow the instructions to the letter and thus, their results will vary. Also, what one person considers excellent results may be considered sub par to someone else. Thus, you really need to come to your own conclusion by evaluating the product yourself. This goes for any product where you see a mired of mixed results like what you're seeing in this thread.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again for the update. I told you that they were very cool to deal with.

One thing that anyone reading this thread has to take into consideration. The expectation levels and the abilities of each individual using this product varies. Not everyone using this stuff is going to follow the instructions to the letter and thus, their results will vary. Also, what one person considers excellent results may be considered sub par to someone else. Thus, you really need to come to your own conclusion by evaluating the product yourself. This goes for any product where you see a mired of mixed results like what you're seeing in this thread.

Very true statement indeed :2tu: