Drag tires for an '01 Viper

Reaction score
Drag tires for an \'01 Viper

All,
As I understand it, there are two main routes to getting better dragstrip launches in a Viper:

1. Purner wheels & slicks combo ($2,600)
2. Mount M/T ET Streets on an extra set of stock front wheels and put those on the rear. ($less)

Questions:
1) The '01 Vipers have larger rear brake calipers than previous years. Will 10" front wheels still fit on the rear?
2) What sort of 60' times are people getting with setup 1 and/or setup 2 above? I gather the stock wheels & tires are good for about 2.0s 60' times...

Thanks in advance,
Ben preparing-for-dragstrip-battle-with-his-old-Supra Treynor

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Drag tires for an \'01 Viper

Ben, I can't compare them to your other options because I haven't tried those tires, but Tom Welch recommended the BFGoodrich Drag Radials to me. They're a good mix for a tire with tread for street driving and still good for the strip. I just put them on last week and they are nice and soft and I get good launches practicing. Don't have the 60 ft times yet on them but Tom was getting 1.6 seconds I think, which I would be very happy with because I haven't been able to get under 2 sec with the street tires I was using.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I do NOT know the answer to this, I have never run them, but the Michelin Club Slick, a DOT-legal semi-slick, may be an option? Only $239 each 335-35-17.

Disigned for roadcourse work, but other roadcourse tires I have used got me slightly better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than OE stock.

JonB

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben,

The E.T. Street tire(only drag race slick available for the viper)a dot approved slick is made for a 16" rim and will not fit on your front wheels. The only wheel available other than purners is your spare tire's wheel. I have heard of someone that was going to try a 16" wheel from a dodge durango, but I dont have experience with that. Check the classifieds of this site as they sometimes offer purners wheels at a discount, used.

tom

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter

BFG makes a 315 35R 17" Drag radial, I put on a set on my street rod yesterday and can see a lot of difference. You must set up the pressure in tires do a burn out see how much of tire is contacting ground if middle is not touching add air 2 lbs. at time , if only the middle is touching reverse procedure. Than I do one pound increments to get best foot print. 5 or 6 burnouts usually gets you close. At track tune pressure for best 60' also watch out for tire pressure rising. Do a burn out of at least a 5 count before coming to line. Good Luck Tom any more tips??

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by btreynor:
All,
As I understand it, there are two main routes to getting better dragstrip launches in a Viper:

1. Purner wheels & slicks combo ($2,600)
2. Mount M/T ET Streets on an extra set of stock front wheels and put those on the rear. ($less)

Questions:
1) The '01 Vipers have larger rear brake calipers than previous years. Will 10" front wheels still fit on the rear?
2) What sort of 60' times are people getting with setup 1 and/or setup 2 above? I gather the stock wheels & tires are good for about 2.0s 60' times...

Thanks in advance,
Ben preparing-for-dragstrip-battle-with-his-old-Supra Treynor
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ben -
I understand what you are inquiring about but, you mean BFG's for the front-to-rear wheel swap.... As stated, the M/T's wont fit.

Just try this: See if one front wheels you have now will bolt on the rear the way it is. If it clears the break assembly, you know have the answer
You must be registered for see images

The Purner combo's are a very good choice too.

Good luck,
Doug Levin 305 249-RACE (7223)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery