Drilled rotors 1 or 2 piece???

easttnviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am planning a brake rotor upgrade. Just wondering if 2 piece rotors would be worth the extra cost. Also which brands offer the best product for the money? Comments and opinions from owners with experience in this area would be great. Thanks!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upgrade? Do you want to stop faster? My $300 OEM rotors will stop just as fast as $1300 rotors given the same calipers & pads. ....on the street.

It is the upgraded two-piece rotors or 1-piece with direction veins that allow for better cooling to keep them from overheating and cracking during repeated braking sesions that are encountered during trackdays.

-two-piece = upgrade (they help dissipate heat)
-directional viens = upgrade (they help dissipate heat)
-I consider drilled rotors as being a downgrade since they are more likely to crack during performance events. however if you are mostly street use and carshows then go for it if you want the bling factor.
-Slots are also an option. More performance oriented than drilled but you still get the bling.

If you dont track than any rotor will do. I track and am fine with stock rotors since i am on street tires and use street pads. R-comp tires and track pads cause the rotors to run much hotter.
VPA has a good deal on the OEM rotors here:
Gen1/2: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...-dodge-viper-vented-brake-rotor-set-by-brembo
Gen3/4: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...m-vented-brake-rotor-set-5290393aa-05290394aa

JonB @ partsrack has a variety of aftermarket rotors. Give him a ring as sometimes he has more stuff than is listed on his website.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The slots in the rotors allow gases to escape. 2 piece rotors are lighter and don't transfer as much heat to the hub/bearing as well as reduce/prevent warping , can also just replace the rotor, and reuse the hat, some 2 piece rotors are floating which allow the brakes to fully release and the pads not drag - running cooler. The "venting" in the middle plays a huge part - different mfg's use different vein designs, some have better flow and more surface area which result in better/faster cooling.

Pads make a huge difference - rotors will help with fade as the "upgraded" ones will cool faster. Performance pads have higher operating temps and will reduce fade as well.

I recommend the StopTech, I've drank their cool aid and it is good. Also made in the USA.

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upgrade what. Looks or performance? Drilled=looks. Slotted=performance/durability. Two piece=$$$, but supposedly worth it for severe track duty. When still undecided, call Jon B. and go with his recommendation.

OP
OP
E

easttnviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like upgrade was the wrong word to use, haha. My car will never be a ******** track car, its my daily driver. I have always liked the look of other high end cars with red brembos and drilled rotors, so it must be about the bling. Maybe I should leave well enough alone with my stock rotors and save those $ for something else. Good info!

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply changing your pads will increase the effectiveness of your brakes considerable. Cross-drilled rotors will give you the bling but the slotted rotors are better.

Try a more aggressive pad if the "stopping" force or fade is not to your liking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets