Drove a Viper to 12.6@115

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FutureGTSowner:
My friends dad has a blue/white striped 96 GTS, I met him and drove his car to a 12.6@115...... Any tips for me on how to get a better launch (got a 2.2 60' time)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tires Matter. Assuming you are on stock, treaded tires -

Dont use the water box.
Lower your rear tire pressure to ~19psi
Raise your fronts to 44
Avoid wheelspin as best you can....launch lower RPMs

Since he drives consistent 12.2s.......ask the very generous (crazy?) owner !

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.k. I'm far from being a pro but I learned a lot since I took my snake to the track for the first time last Friday. My best was a 12.08 @ 113 after 8 runs. Here's some things that I've learned aside from John b's post:

1) Always shift into 4th at the end of the track. I have a slow mph on my run due to hitting the rev limiter trying to make it.
2) Look at the car's dyno sheet and see where the horsepower drops off on it. Mine drops off (peaks) at 5300. This should be your shift point. I was shifting at 6000,6100.
3) Put in some racing gas or octane booster if you have made any mods to the car, it can't hurt.
4) After 4 runs, let the clutch cool down for 30 minutes or so.
5) Reset the computer by disconnecting the remote bbattery cable. This will re-map your fuel delivery system and may give you a tenth.
6) 60' time is critical. I managed a 1.9 my very first time out. I would set the rpm's at 1500-1700 and let the clutch out slowly until I got traction. Then pre-load every gear before you change gears. You won't have to lift your foot from the gas pedal for second but maybe on 3rd & 4th just a little. I missed 3rd a few times but still pulled a 12.3 at the worst.

Have fun.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne,

11.77 huh? That's almost as good as an 11.76!
smile.gif

Sorry, had to get that in there...

Are you sure he left off idle to get an 11.77? I'm not buying it. I left at 3000RPM with a little bit of slip to run an 11.76 in a mostly stock car with a 1.79 short time. I don't think you could get a 1.8 short time leaving at 1200-1500

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so here's a question for all your experts. What does it take to get the MPH higher? FutureGTSowner ran 12.6@115 steveb posted he ran [email protected] my best so far has been a 12.34@115 why are our MPH low? others are getting 118-119. I know power has a lot to do with it, but these were Gen II cars with some bolt on mods. Also why do people with a 119MPH still have an ET about the same as our times?

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES,

MPH at the end of the strip is a direct function of the power the engine is making. E/T is a function of how well the car's suspension and tires are handling that power.

Look at it this way. If my tires are spining, I am wasting time, but I am not wasting distance. So my MPH will not be affected, but my E/T is going to ****.

For a classic example of this just look at the numbers in my sig.
smile.gif

BTW SteveB only ran 114 MPH because he never shifted into fourth gear. He should run 120 MPH and I am sure he will next time.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eng12,

Your stock tire compound is not designed for drag racing, it will not get hot and sticky, nor will the sidewalls wrinkle to aid in traction.

Unfortunately you are unknowingly destroying the racetrack surface for other racers by doing water burnouts with stock tires.

The dragstrip surface is usually concrete covered with a thin layer of rubber. This thin layer is what aids traction. It is easy to warm in the sun or by friction from tires, and when traction compound is applied it works very well with soft compound drag race style tires.

Your "hard" factory or Z rated tire is ripping up that thin rubber layer, which makes what I like to call "dog turds" or rubber rolled up along the starting area that has fallen from a hard compound tire. Also, you are throwing water into your fenderwells and it gets caught in your tread, when you pull to the starting line and are waiting to go gravity is working to put all that water either on your tire from your fenders an/or on the track surface under your tire.

Any increase in traction that you have achieved from a water burnout on stock tires is consequential and has nothing to do with the burnout itself.

I hope that this helps. BTW, get my video on how to drag race your viper. It covers burnout procedures for stock type and race tires.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine