E85, Boost, Stock engine

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 03 vert with a Paxton on it. From my understanding the stock engine likes to "go boom" about 750ish whp (on premium pump gas)

So, from my experience with other engines and e85 along with proper tuning. I was thinking heck, maybe the stock gen 3 engine can survive a little more power on E-85. From the failures I've seen, it looks like the ring lands let go and the piston is the weak link. I ASSUME the rods can handle a little more power.

So, has anyone done E85 on a Paxton car with a stock motor?

I think stock injector size is about 45 lb/hr I see common injector upgrades being 65/69 pound injectors. Then injector dynamics are even available also. Anyone do a dual or triple walbro pump setup for the stock fuel tank? Or what other fuel systems would be available? Maybe I should look up TT setups to see what size injectors and pump setups they are using and factor in needing about 30%ish more fuel if the system is close to max capacity.

I'm thinking I can switch to e-85, change the fuel system and add about another 150-200 whp without hurting the engine?

Sorry. I'm just starting to do some brainstorming and honestly haven't started much research.

E85 would also help with keeping the engine run cooler. I know other setups that switch from gas to e-85 lower engine temps. Also a much broader tuning window to survive mishaps.

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to find the safety level you want for your stock engine by running E85. We see engines that simply cannot handle the added cylinder pressure. You would be better served by spending the extra money on a rod and piston upgrade rather than trying to run an E85 setup. With that being said, if you are still wanting to convert the car to E85 then give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss the options we offer. 940-626-9949 - cell

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hm, that ***** Maybe time to scrap the idea and leave it as is until I build the motor.

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^is there a tuning solution for e85 on gen 3's? is it flexfuel capable?

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^is there a tuning solution for e85 on gen 3's? is it flexfuel capable?

It would be the same as tuning a gas engine. E85 just requires more fuel than gas and usually allows more timing.

Sct and aem should be able to do it.

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our Pectel based systems and AEM Infinity systems allow for Flex Fuel on the Viper.

OP
OP
D

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will, I did send you a text but I don't want to call you on your personal phone on your day off. I'll do a little more research and get a hold of you..

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Build the engine. The Paxton is barely awake until you reach at least 10+ psi. They seem to be happiest at 12-13 psi. Feels like a completely different car at that power level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave