Electrical Grounding

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They aren't used but those locations are easy to ground and are opposite side of the car.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The O2's are not active during WOT, in addition, the rear O2 never has an impact on performance (except to set a code for a bad cat) it is just monitoring the the cats.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses:

Just some thoughts - You are right about the signal probably not getting into the computer due to signal strength and the low frequency nature of the subject signal. On the other hand an externally generated electronic noise can very easily be coupled or carried into the dc circuit without any rectification. This is the number one cause of system upset in the industrial PLC environment. In this case it also should not be a problem due to the low frequency nature of the signal being discussed. I would also think that the PCM has a notch filter inserted in the front end (of the PCM) that is tuned to filter out this low frequency component.

To backup Joe's comments, a steel frame is going to have an extremely low resistance and also a low impedance (for different reasons)at multiple frequencies, in affect it is the best path or plane for the return of both DC and ac currents. However, it probably doesn't matter, since most issues that deal with noise or interference come at much high frequencies then are experienced in a car. I have had a scope on the general dc bus and there is some noise carried in the 12V system and it does seem relatively high, however, as stated previously there has to be a notch filter removing this at the PCM level.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, we have guys coming in here saying that they grounded the O2 sensor and "got dramatical improvements" on the dyno.
The O2 sensor isn't in the loop during a dyno run, but that's ok.
Grounding did the job, right?

Guy's, think about this before you waste your time and money on special grounding.

I hate to keep bringing up the audio industry but the claims made by the ground kit sellers are the same kind of bs that they use when they try to tell people that special wire is needed to hook up speakers.

It's very easy to be taken in by these folks. They make a living selling special cables to people who don't know any better.
They use terms that sound technical but can't quite be pinned down for comparison.
What does the term "brilliance" mean? What are the units?
How about "presence"? Yeah, bring your "presence" meter.

They use these non standard terms so their product cant be compared in standard technical terms.

They take a real thing like skin effect and corrupt the real science by claiming that skin effect plays a part at audio frequencies. They claim that stranded wire must have different size strands.

Claims of "noise" in powerlines drive these people to buy filters and conditioners. The need for these devices is bogus. Yet, they sell them at inflated prices to people who think they know what they are talking about.

They have their interconnect cables cryo treated. Sure, cryo is good for firearms, car parts, trombones, fishing line, why heck, I'll bet it's good for coaxial cables too.

I'm warning you, if you are not a technical person, you are not going to be able to tell the bs from reality in this and just like the guy who solved his dyno problem by grounding the O2 sensor, you too will be fooled.