Engine Rebuild in Chicago

mxz900

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just blew my motor this weekend and need to find someone local that knows the Gen3 motor, but won't cost me a ton. Any suggestions appreciated.

Not sure what happened, but assume a couple cylinders spun a bearing (only because I had this exact same thing happen a couple years ago with this motor and it sounds exactly the same). Arrow Performance did the first rebuild 2 years ago, but they are all the way in Detroit and the cost was crazy.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say you "blew" your motor, what were you doing? Just curious because you say it happened 2 years ago and that does seem coincidental.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Give Flossmoor motors a call and talk to Bill Sampognaro - 708.798.0806.

OP
OP
M

mxz900

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the track. No missed shift or anything that should have caused this. Was actually in a fairly low speed corner when it broke (probably 4500 rpm) so it is a hard one for me to swallow. I have since been informed that it could have been due to the fact that the oil pickup is fixed as opposed to swinging which becomes a problem under heavy G's. Obviously just a guess until the motor is opened up.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most popular shop in that area is probably www.speedinc.com - they have been around a long time and get mostly positive press. Have them pull the engine and ship it to your re-builder of choice.

Or, buy some tools and an engine hoist, pull it yourself.

OP
OP
M

mxz900

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nine Ball - You are the 2nd person who recommended SpeedInc. I guy I know who drag races a Camaro has his engine work done there. Are you familiar with their shop? Rather than have them do all the work are you suggesting sending it to a Viper specific builder?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I co-founded LS1Tech, the biggest GM performance site on the net. Speed Inc has been around since day 1 of that site, over 10 yrs now. They have an excellent reputation. While I'm sure some customers have had some issues with them, just like any shop, the test of time has proven their worth. Give them a call and chat with them, go for a visit. They work on all types of stuff. I even purchased my Viper Paxton kit through them.

Tony

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give Flossmoor motors a call and talk to Bill Sampognaro - 708.798.0806.

My car is there as I type this, great guy, also knows everything there is to know about vipers, DO NOT Take your car to any dealership
Except Roanoke .
I had warranty work done at schaumberg Zielgler dodge, make long story short tried to deney everything that was covered, , that didn't
Had different stories everyday , when i got it back there were thing that warent done correct, and new issues.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just blew my motor this weekend and need to find someone local that knows the Gen3 motor, but won't cost me a ton. Any suggestions appreciated.

Not sure what happened, but assume a couple cylinders spun a bearing (only because I had this exact same thing happen a couple years ago with this motor and it sounds exactly the same). Arrow Performance did the first rebuild 2 years ago, but they are all the way in Detroit and the cost was crazy.

I would call Ron Adee @Valley Tool and molds in Gilberts, Il. He has built a bunch of Viper motors and most likely has all the machines to do it himself. Sampognaro has repair shops and is a good wrench...But you need someone who has built a few to make sure they know what they are doing.... No offense to Bill who is a great guy but I would choose Ron Adee if I were in the Chicago area in Illinois.... My .02.

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed inc will likely farm the work out to Rich Groh. He built a couple of my 1000hp ford engines in the past. He has built some viper engines as well. He is one of the top builders in the mustang/ ford arena. Many of the top guys in NMRA and FUN ford run his engines.
If you can pull you engine yourself, which is quite easy, take it to him yourself and save a lot of money. Pretty sure he is in Lake in the Hills, IL

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed inc will likely farm the work out to Rich Groh. He built a couple of my 1000hp ford engines in the past. He has built some viper engines as well. He is one of the top builders in the mustang/ ford arena. Many of the top guys in NMRA and FUN ford run his engines. His number is 847-458-0953 If you can pull you engine yourself, which is quite easy, take it to him yourself and save a lot of money. Pretty sure he is in Lake in the Hills, IL

Rich Grohl built a motor for me that had too much oil going to the top end of the motor that ended up spinning a rod bearing on low boost on the dyno. When I saw the oil pressure was low before we ran any boost, I called Rich and told him the status of the oil pressure. He assured me that was the way he built the motor and it was fine to run it.......

It was not fine and he did not stand behind his work. He has no personality and does not communicate very well and calls you back pretty much whenever he wants.

I would not recommend Rich Grohl to anybody.

Last edited:

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rich grohl tuned my spf gt40. he is friends with the guy i had build the motor. he did a good job with the tune. cant comment first hand on his builds.
give larry at LRS performance a call. he is very good.
847-838-0393

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rich Grohl built a motor for me that had too much oil going to the top end of the motor that ended up spinning a rod bearing on low boost on the dyno. When I saw the oil pressure was low before we ran any boost, I called Rich and told him the status of the oil pressure. He assured me that was the way he built the motor and it was fine to run it.......

It was not fine and he did not stand behind his work. He has no personality and does not communicate very well and calls you back pretty much whenever he wants.

I would not recommend Rich Grohl to anybody.

are you sure rich built the motor and not bret harmon?

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Westech in silver Lake WI.

They probably did most of the R&D on these motors to begin with anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave