Engine section?

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am surprised to not see a section dedicated to people with engine mods. Where is the crowd talking about cams, rockers, performance pistons etc? Could someone point me in the right direction.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised to not see a section dedicated to people with engine mods. Where is the crowd talking about cams, rockers, performance pistons etc? Could someone point me in the right direction.

For your gen 3 right??

what are you thinking of doing and what is your budget?

OP
OP
R

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have a budget in mind because I do the work myself and majority of the parts I can get through my suppliers. I do however like to see what everyone else is doing. Seeing what works and what doesn't. I came from owning (2) SRT-4s that I heavily modified in the past and the srtforums was just a tornado of activity with categories dedicated to even major drive line component. I guess the crowd is different here.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a budget in mind because I do the work myself and majority of the parts I can get through my suppliers. I do however like to see what everyone else is doing. Seeing what works and what doesn't. I came from owning (2) SRT-4s that I heavily modified in the past and the srtforums was just a tornado of activity with categories dedicated to even major drive line component. I guess the crowd is different here.

Denpends on what you want to do. these cars really dont need much to go quick. A lot of differnt vendors on here sell cams, head services and tunes to support the mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYLyUfhT9-I

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^ I would have edited out the part with the windshield wipers turned on. And where the hell did the heater controls go?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

This is a low production market, and nothing like you are probably used to. Basic information is available if you search for it, but in general, the tuners and builders in this market had to do [and pay for] all of their R&D themselves, and as a result, hold the more specific information close. The uninformed scream Viper Tax, while those in the know understand how the system must work to pay overhead and R&D/production costs. The vendors in this market do not have the luxury of spreading R&D over hundreds of cars and sales in most cases, nor are huge operations that can produce products on a whim.

This market has already taken a huge hit in the aftermarket. As the economy slid and value of cars dropped, new buyers unfamiliar and unwilling to understand what they had purchased refused to pay typical Viper part prices, thus causing development to slow. Further affecting this is the "information shopper" mentality that has become quite commonplace where it never was before. Customers simply use knowledgeable vendors by stringing them along, and then internet shop all of the components or take that information to their local builders instead. This resulted in a further ratcheting down of information and general vendor interaction. The fact is, as Vendors, our costs have increased, not decreased- and our market has shrunk. Nobody can expect the price of parts to follow the trends of the car itself. Some simple jigged parts which have been duplicated by volume aside, part prices are generally stable with inflation, regardless of what the car itself is doing.

The fact is, these cars are simple on the surface, but very specific in terms of what works, and what doesn't, and we have VERY little OE support in terms of engineering details. Everything must be reverse engineered on our own dime. The fact that it is a V-10, and especially in the case of the newer cars due to some of the technology used, makes it a very specific application with regard to engine control. In many ways, the newer cars have more in common with Lamborghini and Ferrari aftermarket parts than they do earlier Vipers. However, all Viper owners need to understand that they are buying parts for a 100K+ car [when adjusted for inflation]

I know this post kind of bounced all over, but its just a general response on the market as a whole.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rukcus,
I understand that it does take some time to get oriented & familiarized when moving from one forum to another. There are hundreds of threads on specific performance components on these forums. Most of them reside in the specific generation forum section.(RT/10 and GTS Discussion, or SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe)
This "Performance Modifications" section should be deleted IMO since it is rarely used.

Using the Advanced Search feature on this forum you can click the left top tab "Search Single Content Type" then click on the specific section: SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe in your case then search for key words like headers, exhaust, tune, ported, heads, ect... Im pretty sure the search has to be over 3 characters so its frustrating not being able to search for something like CAM, or N/A...

"Greg Good" is a good search as he is the expert on porting stock viper heads of all generations

Also, there are numerous threads on specific owners full out builds which are very informative,
Here is A few you that you might be interested in :

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/654067-Greg-Good-heads-amp-cam-build-gained-189-rwhp

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...-Cam-with-A-amp-C-Tune?highlight=heads+ported

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...7-gen4-heads-for-the-gen3?highlight=greg+good

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
from

NEON

to

VIPER

You must be registered for see images attach

Ha yeah I did deserve that. What I meant was that the forum here is obviously tailored to the crowd but thanks for the awesome threads you posted. Imagine these threads x500 so the learning experience its just mind-boggling.

OP
OP
R

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saying search would be obvious, my initial post is wondering why there isn't a dedicated engine section (this forum is dedicated to a road legal race car ;) ). I posted this in the performance section but if you look at the other posts in this section, they don't have anything to do with actual "performance"

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find that a lot of us here do enjoy turning our own wrenches. As succinctly stated by Dan (Viper Specialty), a low volume vehicle with slightly more complex engine and engine management system do present unique challenges for DIY's. Most jobs beyond headers/catbacks end up being one-offs. This forum is replete with folks who are very knowledgeable and willing to provide some solid advise.

Some examples of folks sharing their builds:

Heads/Cam Thread:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/642032-Project-Heads-amp-Cam-Gen-III-Underway!?

Supercharger Thread:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/612472-My-Supercharger-Heads-Project-Begins

Another heads/cam thread (mine):
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/652307-643whp-606wtq-Greg-Good-Heads-Cam-with-A-amp-C-Tune