Engine swap ideas

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I might have a shot at a Viper engine and trans with harness and computer for a good price and now I'm trying to think of what I might do with one. I would love to put it in my 67 Dart, but with my current Hemi swap I don't know that I can make myself undo all that work. I think the big problem with these engines are the massive flat oil pan that eats up so much space under them, so putting it on top of old school K frames in classic Mopars can get a little trickier due to the vintage steering systems. I know you can get updated K frames with rack and pinion, but they still tend to reside under the pan I think, so not sure the engine would sit low enough.

Anyone seen or done a good Viper swap? I know I saw that Rolls one a while back that is awesome, but not really in my wheelhouse. I think I'm probably leaning toward classic muscle, but have only seen a few and don't know many details about what all is involved. I'd love to build up a Superbee/Roadrunner for my dad as he used to have them in the past and would probably like another, but haven't found any build threads yet to detail the process. There is one A body swap in process that I've read about and it involves a significant amount of modification that I don't really have the capabilities for. Would like something a little more "bolt in" in the sense that I wouldn't have to cut out lots of body parts to make it fit. Making up brackets and stuff isn't too big a deal, but completely reshaping frame rails and firewalls isn't my specialty by any means.

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out VTCOA.

A couple swaps going on now with Viper engines.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
72 Dodge Van with a Viper engine, now that would be a fun hidden surprise. Without combing through all of the threads, do you have a short list of the vehicles? I've seen several on the internet including:

S2000
Saab 94
Jeeps
240Z
Rolls Royce (old one, on the forums here)
Mustang
Challengers/Cudas (old and new)
300C
Charger (old for sure, maybe a new one as well)

Did see one Superbee and GTX as well.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
saw a Jensen Interceptor with a Viper plant

Now that would be cool. I've always like the look of those since I saw them on Top Gear. Think they're pretty hard to come by though. Remember seeing a rough one for sale some time ago, but I think it was still over $15k.

Seems interesting that there are so many V10 swaps that appear to be European in nature. Doesn't feel like there are as many local, or I'm just not finding many.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hmm, that would be interesting. We have a Jeep Commander in the driveway...

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
You'd have to convert it to a "Wide Body" with a bit of a stretch.....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

And working on a '69 Charger Gen-3/Gen-4/Gen-5 combo V-10 Twin Turbo Resto-Mod as well...

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, that is bad ass!

But I would not want to be in that car taking a fast corner...

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That harness is simplicity at its finest. I remember seeing that thread you started a while back and thought it was a cool and different project. Don't think I'll be getting my hands on one of those any time soon though, lol. Is that a factory computer or full aftermarket? Love the valve covers as well, that silver is a neat touch and keeps it a little understated since the script is the same color as well.

Curious where you end up on your Charger swap too. I read one guy that said he was moving the firewall back 6" and the core support forward 3" and that just seemed off to me. I looked at my 67 Dart the other day and I think if I just moved the fans from the back of the radiator to the front I might be able to get close. The 5.7 Hemi in it has about 2-3" of clearance between the accessory drive and the back of the electric fans. Would probably gain another 3" at least by moving the fans. Weight balance might be a little funny, but physically it doesn't seem like the fit would be that far off. Would imagine a larger B body would have a little more real estate to work with.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That harness is simplicity at its finest. I remember seeing that thread you started a while back and thought it was a cool and different project. Don't think I'll be getting my hands on one of those any time soon though, lol. Is that a factory computer or full aftermarket? Love the valve covers as well, that silver is a neat touch and keeps it a little understated since the script is the same color as well.

Curious where you end up on your Charger swap too. I read one guy that said he was moving the firewall back 6" and the core support forward 3" and that just seemed off to me. I looked at my 67 Dart the other day and I think if I just moved the fans from the back of the radiator to the front I might be able to get close. The 5.7 Hemi in it has about 2-3" of clearance between the accessory drive and the back of the electric fans. Would probably gain another 3" at least by moving the fans. Weight balance might be a little funny, but physically it doesn't seem like the fit would be that far off. Would imagine a larger B body would have a little more real estate to work with.

Any of the resto-mods short of bone-stock Gen-2 based are better suited to a full aftermarket computer. The Rolls above is using a Pectel Standalone configuration, and it contains quite a bit of capability that it technically isn't utilizing, ha. For something Gen-2 basic, there is an off the shelf crate-engine ECU & harness that we stock, but its generally Gen-2 specific without a lot of modification, and its really for stock engines only.

If user "Cop Magnet" posts, he can tell you about the Charger project in detail. He is out in Chicago and is having a local shop(s) handle the chassis, body, paint, interior, etc. We were contracted to build the engine, design the engine management system, programming, tuning, supply the Forced Induction components, etc.

Note: Engines below are mock-up only.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ah, I gotcha. Looks like that engine is pretty far set back (no firewall at all, lol), so I'm guessing he's after the G-Machine look. Guessing whatever I do would be much more "cruiser" than corner carver. Friend at work suggested an old E type Jag, which definitely got my motor humming. That would be a sweet car to tuck a V10 under.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Get yourself like a 65 Belvedere or a 65 Cuda, talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Get yourself like a 65 Belvedere or a 65 Cuda, talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing

I thought an old Caddy could be fun too. If there's not enough room under the hood there's probably enough room in the backseat, lol.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Jaime's belvedere, com-on, you can fit two more cylinders in there, I know you can

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, that's a clean car. I'm digging the pop can wiper motor cover. I'd like to do a B body for my Dad, but not sure how picky he would be about actual models. He used to have Road Runners and Superbees, but a Coronet/Belvedere/Satellite would be pretty similar as well. I think he might want his classic big block back though. I think what's he wants most is his old 69 Bronze Road Runner with a 383, 4 speed, and bench seat. I saw a really nice one just like it at a car show a few years back.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Well, there's and idea, a classic 69 Road Runner for Dad and a 69 Road Runner for Son with all modern drive train/brakes etc. Wouldn't that be a sight at the local show

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave