European trip of a lifetime.....

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this is old news or not....I've been waiting to hear more about this trip which we were told about at VOI 9. I called Viper Headquarters for an update around Thanksgiving, and they said the details should be available around the 1st of the year. Just got off the phone with them a few minutes ago. The trip is not going to happen, at least not this year. Too bad, I was really up for it.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of us went on a "mini" trip of a lifetime to Stuttgart last month :)

What was the trip you spoke of all about?

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to change/steal the subject, but if I just bought an 06 coupe-- is the trip to Germany, ETC still available? John

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only if you purchased it BEFORE November 1st, 2006. I purchased mine on November 20th and did not qualify.

That is what I was told.

Rick

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The trip was supposed to be a mini European VOI type event with all the perks of VOI in Europe. Probably cancelled because of the cost. They were guesses of at least $10,000 and more like $15,000 - $25,000 a couple. Wanted to go but I was worried about insurance issues with our cars in Europe, and the cost is to rich for my blood.

OP
OP
S

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We were going to ship our cars to Europe, drive thru the Alps and on the Autobahn. I guess the Mustang commercial makes it seem a lot easier than it is. I think the Swiss club encountered a lot of difficulties and perhaps underestimated the time and vast amount of effort required to make this trip a reality. Better for it not to happen than turn into a bad dream.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap :( Maybe that's why my e-mail volunteering to be of assistance for the part of the trip in my country remained unanswered. I was really looking forward to be involved in the preparations.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were going to ship our cars to Europe, drive thru the Alps and on the Autobahn. I guess the Mustang commercial makes it seem a lot easier than it is. I think the Swiss club encountered a lot of difficulties and perhaps underestimated the time and vast amount of effort required to make this trip a reality. Better for it not to happen than turn into a bad dream.

Actually - it's not that difficult to drive Viper through Alps and autobahns. Here is what it takes based on my experience:

- ship your car to Bremerhaven - one way is ~ $800/$1200 from East/West coast ports. Takes 1/4 weeks from East/West coasts.
- buy an insurance from ADAC (german auto club) @ $130 per month (this and US passport and current registration is required to clear the car through customs as tourists). you can buy the insurance at any ADAC outlet - these are in every city.
- get ready to pay $5 per gallon of gas

If you go outside of the main season you don't have to reserve the accomodation - the best way to go through the Alps is to sleep at B&B/small hotels @ $55-$100 per room and night with breakfast. Most of tourist towns in Alps have central information board with list of local B&Bs/hotels with phone numbers. Of course this can be pre arranged with the group.

The main problem is really logistic - how to get to your car from the airport. You can fly to Frankfurt and rent a car one way for example and do the same on the way back in reverse.

Now - if there is a group then you can further optimize to help the shipping (4 vipers fit one 40ft container for example), lodging, Etc.Etc.Etc.

I did this (shipping, driving through the Alps) and it was (and is) fantastic (driving obviously:). Because shipping car overseas is a major event (time and expense) you may consider to leave the car in Europe for the whole summer and fly in several times for 1-2 weeks trips. If you are looking for a local anchor I want to do some driving in May/June:).

All in all you should budget ~ $4000 + airfare and food for the whole trip per couple with car shipment being a major cost.

... and here is small teaser:)

alps.jpg

Almost forgot - once there you can drive the Nordschleife... :p

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the Stuttgart trip did we meet?

Yep, I was the tallest guy there, next to you that is ;) .

The one who had his luggage lost by the fools at Northwest Airlines, only to be saved by the VCA.