Exhaust: crossover out with stock muflers

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone try to take out the crossover and keep the stock mufflers? If so where would be the exhaust ends available? Sound?

I am trying to loose some heat, weight and to keep the noise at reasonable (for me) level. When I installed Corsa Track a year ago I realized just how much weight and heater do we have in that crossover component :-(. Corsa was not for me (too loud) so I converted back to stock.

I will appreciate any opinion, I am convinced to give this a try and have someone make the ends after I get back to Prague.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Madman, A good muffler shop should be able to do it. It should work out just fine. Being stainless steel, I wonder if the stock pipes would grow as the Corsa pipes do...something to watch for.

Summit racing has tips ... summit racing

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about modifying my exhaust. I was going to buy a Corsa cat back system. I am concerned about the volume.

Was it too loud at idle and low RPM's? Or was it too loud under power?

I would like the car to sound a bit more substantial.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is just loud after 3000 rpm at full throttle. It is not too loud. After all tt is a Viper.

You will be extremely happy with the Corsa track system I am sure of it. Just make sure you have someone that has some experience installing them as it takes time to align the tips.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa was too loud for me at acceleration and cruising. Simply put I was very tired from that noise after 200miles trip. It was then I realized Corsa was not for me. I think I could survive Corsa driving Viper occasionally on short distance. But that's not how do I use it.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROE RACING has a couple affordable options on this page... ROE RACING EXHAUST PAGE

Looks like those kit have REAL mufflers...the Corsa Track is practically a straight pipe. I'd call them and ask their opinion.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is just loud after 3000 rpm at full throttle. It is not too loud. After all tt is a Viper.

You will be extremely happy with the Corsa track system I am sure of it. Just make sure you have someone that has some experience installing them as it takes time to align the tips.

We did a vehicle yesterday and very simple way to align the tips. They stick out a 1/4 inch and look great.

PM for further details.

Patrick

PS: this particular car had the corsa with stock cats. We eliminated the stock and put on high flows............HUGE DIFFERENCE. Very nice sound !

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also thought the Corsa tracks were a bit too loud, and has a bit of drone. I installed Vortex Cones, and that took the edge off. Now really enjoyable, although I also liked the stock sound above 3000 RPM.

Corsa seems 25% louder than stock, and in a good way. The heat is reduced 80%, and I believe you loose about 40 lbs of piping. Pick up some HP too.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found something like Mopar Street Side Exhaust - I will give it a try and see. Would appreciate feedback if anyone has it... Should be 'just little louder' then stock.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys to each his own. Everyone has their own tastes and I certianly can appreciate that.

For me, the corsa track in a great middle road between comfort, drivability, and outright kais. To me the viper is a no frills, tire tearing, demon and the corsa track just put the sound to the look. Even at idle people are like, "What in god's name is that?"

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I found something like Mopar Street Side Exhaust - I will give it a try and see. Would appreciate feedback if anyone has it... Should be 'just little louder' then stock."

They are made by Borla

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
madman, hello I'm a new member, I will intro myself as soon as I have pics ready, but tomorrow I will be installing Mopar cat back, with this kit you can swap out the mufflers only and leave the rest alone so there fore you should be abel to install these tips on the original mufflers and lose the crossover, they are nice tips bytheway, I will find this out hopefully tomorrow and will let you know...

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great! I just ordered mine from jon@partsrack but it will take me trip overseas to put it on. It would be great if you would have a chance to compare it with Corsa Track as far as noise volume. I am looking forward to see your experience!

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
okay, all done with install Mopar cat back, you can leave the original mufflers, loose the crossover and install the tips that come with the kit, I installed the whole thing it sounds better at idle (deeper), but some drone at lower to mid rpms, most of lost 20lbs in weight, over all not to sure if I like it yet my drive was to short because of rain, but I never disliked the sound before. I never heard Corsa Track in person so I can't compare I hope this helps

george

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
okay, all done with install Mopar cat back, you can leave the original mufflers, loose the crossover and install the tips that come with the kit, I installed the whole thing it sounds better at idle (deeper), but some drone at lower to mid rpms, most of lost 20lbs in weight, over all not to sure if I like it yet my drive was to short because of rain, but I never disliked the sound before. I never heard Corsa Track in person so I can't compare I hope this helps
george

PLEASE LET US KNOW of your experience after an hour drive or so, in the DRONE ZONE of RPMs. The price is VERY good (Under $525) for a complete cat back, IF you can survive the dual earwigs of resonance and drone. Young and carefree seem to like it....... mature and crabby don't!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have replaced a lot of customers Corsa Systems as they found they realy did not like the sound. You can see our exhaust systems by clicking on our name at the left and going to our web site.

Robbie

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have replaced a lot of customers Corsa Systems as they found they realy did not like the sound. You can see our exhaust systems by clicking on our name at the left and going to our web site. Robbie

IF THIS IS TRUE, Id like to buy the 'lot of Corsa Systems' you have (allegedly) removed! How many do you have available? Money ready. Im forwarding your comments to CORSA for their interest and possible modifications to the # 1 SELLING SYSTEM in Viperdom.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Corsa system only other one i would consider would be the Mopar/Borla. i am running stock cats. I also would only buy from JonB www.partsrack.com he will give you the best, no B.S. advice and pricing on anything you could need or want for your viper.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it's not loud at all, but just a little to drony for me, specialy crusing at 1500-1700rpm after a while its a bit much, I took another viper owner for a ride and he liked it at first but then possibly changed his mind, sounds close to oe at wot, and better at idle, It's difficult to describe but I guess I'm looking for more of a higher volume crisp than constant bass...maybe I'm just young and crabby. O the seats are definetly cooler after sitting w/out the crossover.

Jon do you carry the new Corsa street cat back w/crossover

George

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved the sound when I had the cats removed and mufflers replaced with Dynomax straight through mufflers, with the crossover retained. Great sound. But I wanted that few extra ponies with a 3" and crossover removed.

So I installed the Mopar 3" race exhaust. Much louder, a little drone and much lower tone. More nasty than the previous but not as nice a tone. I have thought about replacing the Borla mufflers with Dynomax bullets to see if I could get the sweeter sound back but so far I have not found a muffler long enough to be a direct replacement.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just talked to a guy in the muffler business last week who told me Borla uses an inferior packing in their mufflers. He does like the packing Dynomax uses. He named both styles of packing but I can't recall..

I've just added a couple Dynomax's in the back of my Gen2 and they really absorb the sound. No cats and no drone.

The Dynomax bullets wouldn't offer much sound aborbtion would they? Aren't they typically a 4" case?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they are 4". Dynomax also offers a 6" diameter "race" muffler. Both are short though. The previous exhaust I had included 2 on each side welded together making effectively a 30+ inch long muffler. That may still be the way to go to get the higher drone free pitch back. I may go for steel again too to reduce the amount of expansion.

N

Nobody

Uhm....The borla (Mopar Performance) has NO packing just 4 perforated tubes ...the stock mufflers are straight thru NO baffles EXACTLY hmmmm :confused: like the corsa system ...you could probably throw a tennis ball thru them....oh an the stock cats are far better than ANY of the aftermarket crap esp.. RT's .... JMHO FYI

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I had Dynomax stainless in my RT/10 ten years ago. They were 6.75"dia and 30" long as I remember. A nice deep tone. Don't know if you have room for a 6.75" case under there or not. That guy I talked to said Dynomax still makes those ss.

He makes the chambered mufflers in Milford, MI at classicchambered.com, I was buying some Accuseal exhaust clamps from him and we got to talking.

His cores are perforated instead of just holes, so there's stuff hanging into the core's exhaust stream. Amazingly his 3" in and out muffler only has a 3.5" body. Wouldn't seem to be able to offer much sound deadening.

Expansion - if you bolted the exhaust to the side frame near the exit in the body rather than hang it what would happen? Would the expansion snap something forward in the exhaust system if it couldn't expand in one direction?

As I recall my RT/10 Dynomax install, the easiest way for me to mount the rear of the muffler was using the bottom half of a U clamp mounted to the frame. I must have spaced it out somehow because I did use the U as well. I think I used some of the OE holes. Can't remember the details :(

Your options back there may be different than on a Gen1 of course. But I do remember the back of my mufflers were solidly mounted to the frame.

Lo-tech I suppose, but it solved the mounting challenge back there and saved a lot of fabrication.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard, the SRT exhaust hangers are close to the opposite of the Gen I/II. The rear mount provides vertical and side to side motion resistance, but allows fore/aft movement. That is why the tips move so much. Strange given that the crossover pipe in the rear has very little room in all directions. My crossover rattled like heck before I removed it.

Now if someone were to produce new turn outs with the hanger modified I would be first in line to buy a pair.

OrthoD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Corsa Track. Gives the SRT a real exotic sound. As I said before a cross between a big block V-8 and a Ferrari high pitch at full throttle. I don't worry about drone, then again it is not a daily driver. By the way since when do viper drivers worry about drone?

SRT10_SWISS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF THIS IS TRUE, Id like to buy the 'lot of Corsa Systems' you have (allegedly) removed! How many do you have available? Money ready. Im forwarding your comments to CORSA for their interest and possible modifications to the # 1 SELLING SYSTEM in Viperdom.

Hmmmmm, :rolleyes:

John,

it seems that you will never get an answer..... :D

however, it's hard to see all this thousands of 'like new' corsa's sitting in robbies backyard. :smirk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456