Exhaust Leak Found - Crack in Exhaust Manifold / Header (pics)

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by ROCKET62, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ROCKET62

ROCKET62 Has Left the Room!

Thanks to Doug Levin, gbatejan, and 1fastviper - you guys nailed it! Fairly substantial crack/opening in my drivers side header that was most noticeable when cold starting, but really quieted down after warm up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sleekride

Sleekride Viper Owner

Had same issue and same side on my '06.

3. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Viper Owner

ahhh, what does doug know...lol

glad ya figured it out

4. 1HOTV10

1HOTV10 Viper Owner

Our 04 manifold also went out a few weeks ago. We all have our opinion as to what is the best header depending on application for the situation. Ours is a daily driver and this finishes all possible mods to our car before going internally in to the engine. Dan at D.C. Performance on the West Coast installed American Racing for our car. Clean and simple.

5. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

6. ROCKET62

I like your thought process and beleive me, I am very tempted to go that route ..... But, in order to do that with my Street Serpent, I would have to do some substantial work on my exhaust (has the mopar race exhaust minus one cat, all welded together) and remove the side sills, which is a bit of a pain with my body kit. I am therefore going to stay stock with this Street Serpent as I am thinking very hard about another Viper project. Biggest issue with doing the other project is a non-understanding wife ...... but that's another story.

7. SilveRT8

SilveRT8 Viper Owner

I just installed Roe racing H/F cats with the stock mufflers on my 08.
    The car is also much louder when cold starting and quiets down after warm-up. Could I have cracked a header when installing or is this normal ?

8. ROCKET62

Hard to say without hearing it, but my exhaust leak was fairly obvious to the ear as the noise was definitely coming from the engine compartment. It was not so obvious to see or find as the crack was on the engine side and covered up with some heat shielding.

9. viperfuntime

viperfuntime Enthusiast

I have Randomn Tech Hi Flow Cats on my 2009 with stock manifolds and mufflers and it does the same thing on mine. Loud for about a minute then settles down. This is not a result of a crack in the manifold, instead it is the motor causing a different tone during cold start and the fact the cats aren't heated up yet. I have a BMW M6 and it does the same thing. Quiets down after about 1 minute.

10. SilveRT8

SilveRT8 Viper Owner

Thanks for the confirmation, this is exactly what it does.
    I was surprised as my SRT8 Jeep with Headers,H/F cats and catback sounds the same hot or cold.

11. The_Greg

The_Greg Viper Owner

Sorry to dig this up from the grave of 2009 but what do you guys do to remedy this situation? Have a welder fix it with a big fat weld or does everyone just upgrade headers? Also, do aftermarket headers crack much (possibly some more than others?)

12. tcsracing1

tcsracing1 Viper Owner

i have a 2005 that probably suffers from the same.

if the manifold is beyond repair im going straight to headers as the manifolds are just not quality pieces.