Exhaust

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

The size of the pipes is important but not as important as the design and flow characteristics of the header and exhaust system as a team. A good combination will include headers that were designed specifically for the VIPER V-10 Engine, not just a 4 tube V-8 style header that had an extra tube added and a larger collector. Exhaust pulses flow through the tubes in a timed manner with the firing order of the engine and if you could see them they would look like hot dogs running through the header tubes then merging together at the bottom(collector) where they procede back through the rest of the system and out to atmosphere. If the "hot Dogs"(pulses) do not reach the collector at the right time then turbulance will occur, which robbs power, a correctly designed system will have the pulses meet at the collector in time to actually scavenge(cause a suction) that will pull and accelerate the exhaust from the engine which INCREASES POWER. Best all around tube diameter is 1.875". The TRY-Y design header offers what i have stated above and then some. Tubes inside of the collectors actually help guide the pulses, while creating a venturi effect that reduces turbulance, increases velocity, and makes MORE POWER.

A good Cat-back system will be constructed of 3" pipe with low restriction mufflers(bullet style)and must incorporate a BALANCE TUBE, which helps with resonation, while smoothing out those pulses as they travel the 14+ feet to the back of your snake.

To see an example of what Im talking about check out my website at btrviper.com

This system works so good that it is guaranteed to perform or your money back! Period.

I hope the above helps, it is only a brief overview of how a good exhaust system should be constructed, lots more things to consider like fit, finish, modifications to your frame to fit 5 into 1 collectors without annoying vibrating on the frame, cutting and lengthening 02 wires, etc.

tom