Extended warranty question

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently looking at a number of Viper GTS'. I have a question, I understand that none of the aftermarket warranty companies will cover the Viper so I'm left with a DC warranty. My question is, can a Viper whose warranty has expired be covered under the extended waranty? My understanding of the DC extended warranty is that it has to be purchased BEFORE the original warranty has expired. Is this true?

Thanks!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you are correct. Worth a call to Chuck Tator. You'll get the straigh and narrow in about 30 seconds. 914 763.3136

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not correct, DC does offer what they call used car extended warranties, but the snag is that you have to buy the car and contract from a dealership. If you buy the car from a private party, in that case you cannot buy a contract from DC.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Citty, Tommy, thanks for the responses.

Tommy, would I have to buy the car from a Chrysler dealer? Or can it be any dealer?

Thanks!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not correct, DC does offer what they call used car extended warranties, but the snag is that you have to buy the car and contract from a dealership. If you buy the car from a private party, in that case you cannot buy a contract from DC.

I purchased a used '98 GTS that was traded in to a Chevy dealer. I had some work done at a Dodge dealer on it and they did offer me an extended DC warranty on it. I believe any Dodge dealer can provide that. The car was not purchased by me from a Dodge dealer. It (the warranty) was NOT cheap.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as my F&I guy tells me it has to be a DC dealer that the car is purchased from.

Tommy

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I purchased a used '98 GTS that was traded in to a Chevy dealer. I had some work done at a Dodge dealer on it and they did offer me an extended DC warranty on it. I believe any Dodge dealer can provide that. The car was not purchased by me from a Dodge dealer. It (the warranty) was NOT cheap.

Depending on how long ago this was, that is true. DC changed their policy on contracts within the last 8-12 mos. They were getting buried by guys buying cars that were beat into the ground and basically rebuilding them with DCs' money.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy, City, ViperJon, thanks for taking the time and replying to my post!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Supra said" My question is, can a Viper whose warranty has expired be covered under the extended waranty? My understanding of the DC extended warranty is that it has to be purchased BEFORE the original warranty has expired. Is this true?"

Supra, do you mean that the Viper's standard 3yr./36,000 mi warranty has run out ?? Or that a D-C extended warranty such as a MaxCare 7yr./70,000 mi.has run out ????

The reason that I ask is that when reaserching this about a month ago for several of our members, a Gen.Mgr. here checked with his Zone Mgr. and reported to me that one could STILL purchase a D-C extended warranty between the 3rd and 4th year of ownership ( "date in service") as long as the car did not "disqualify itself"...such as a race car, salvage title, etc.

In the past, I was personally was told that this was NOT the case when I purchased extended warranties for our Vipers...NO SUCH "grace period" of 12 months existed at that time according to the D-C extended warranty seller (Dodge dealer).

As tommygun noted, if you mean that it's a D-C extended warranty that has expired, you will by out of luck ...UNLESS you purchase the used car warranty AND the Viper at the SAME TIME from an authorized Dodge dealer.

Tommygun may want to comment upon or correct my impression about this recently discovered "grace period", as I have not tried same AND this is HIS area day-to-day.

Sorry this is so wordy...just trying to help.

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, first of all THANKS for your post! Here's the scenario. I am looking at a 2001 Viper GTS that was 1st registered on Feb or 2001. The car only has 21K miles and doesn't have a salvage title and is 100% stock. The warranty (3/36)has unfortunately expired.

Being that the car is in it's "4th year" of service (02/01 started the 1st, 02/02 the 2nd, 02/03 the 3rd and 02/04 the 4th) would I be able to purchase the extended warranty for it? The car is not being sold by a DC dealer.

Thanks!

Supra said" My question is, can a Viper whose warranty has expired be covered under the extended waranty? My understanding of the DC extended warranty is that it has to be purchased BEFORE the original warranty has expired. Is this true?"

Supra, do you mean that the Viper's standard 3yr./36,000 mi warranty has run out ?? Or that a D-C extended warranty such as a MaxCare 7yr./70,000 mi.has run out ????

The reason that I ask is that when reaserching this about a month ago for several of our members, a Gen.Mgr. here checked with his Zone Mgr. and reported to me that one could STILL purchase a D-C extended warranty between the 3rd and 4th year of ownership ( "date in service") as long as the car did not "disqualify itself"...such as a race car, salvage title, etc.

In the past, I was personally was told that this was NOT the case when I purchased extended warranties for our Vipers...NO SUCH "grace period" of 12 months existed at that time according to the D-C extended warranty seller (Dodge dealer).

As tommygun noted, if you mean that it's a D-C extended warranty that has expired, you will by out of luck ...UNLESS you purchase the used car warranty AND the Viper at the SAME TIME from an authorized Dodge dealer.

Tommygun may want to comment upon or correct my impression about this recently discovered "grace period", as I have not tried same AND this is HIS area day-to-day.

Sorry this is so wordy...just trying to help.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might as well chime in on this. The "in sevice date" is the magic#. You have 4yrs or 48000 to qualify for the extended war. My car had passed that window (Mar.2000 ISD)but due to the low mi.(1800) my dealer felt there was a good chance the ext.war. would be granted. Will know in another week....AT

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Supra, judging from my recently discovered info (and that just provided from steel snake)...I would GUESS "yes"...BUT, would call Chuck Tator ASAP WITH THE VIN and ask the Wizard for help and a price.

Chuck's number is 1-914-763-3136.

Good luck...and, PLEASE let us know outcome.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC will sell new vehicle contract on that vehicle within 12 mos of warranty expiration date. So yes, grace period does apply. The only penalty is a $150 additional surcharge for having passed the warranty expiration date. DC does not specify that contract can only be sold to 1st owner so there should be no issue.

Tommy