Fastest N/A Quarter Mile Times

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just curious! What are the fastest times put out by a normally aspirated viper motor with pilots and with slicks(ET's)!! The fastest time I have seen is put out by a Venom 700 @10.47. I would also like to know what is the most HP & Torque people are getting out of N/A motors. If it is stroked please indicate.
Thanks!!

I am also curious how much elevation plays into the 1/4 mile times. I was running a 12.49 @ 115mph in my 97 GTS w/limited mods(elevation 4500ft). A couple of web sites I went to converted my time to ~11.6 quarter mile at sea level. It seems really hard for me to believe that I would run that fast.

The reason why I ask these questions is because I haven't gone to the drag strip with my new car and I don't know what to expect. I don't want to be in the 12's with this car but I don't know how much elevation will effect my time. I know my car is faster in vegas than it is here.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
recently a 540 LPE car supposidely ran 10.3 at 135.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Supposedly? It's all over the board. Is there a reason to doubt it? I was there. I saw it. The Lingenfelter stroked V10 ran a 10.3

9secRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys crack me up.... That 10.3 on motor was one hell of an impressive run. There is no way that a 10.7 on motor by the Nases even comes CLOSE to such an incredible pass. Dont get me wrong, a 10.7 used to be fast for motor but not anymore. If Nicks cars are so impressive why dont we see many around??? Come on guys, admit it.... There are tuners and then there are backyard mechanics.... I think we know which is which!!!!!

Mark H.
(out of the racing business)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad, you’re always putting down everybody else’s rides. If you’ve got a great package then fantastic, tell us all about it. We’re all interested in what’s out there and your experience is as valuable as anybody’s. But you could benefit from emulating the class that some of the other tuners on this board have. Levin, Roe, Welch (I apologize for leaving some of you out). You mentioned before about the many $$$ you spent experimenting with different setups, great. I look forward to reading about it. But can’t you do it without putting down other packages?

I’m sorry my example of getting to the finish line first went over your head. I’m sure most on the board understood the point I was making.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad, both my Vipers are stock motors. No juice, no blowers and the heads have never been off. We’re on the same page somewhat, I fully agree that there is a lot of price gauwging in the Viper market. I also admit that 40K is too much FOR ME to spend on a motor, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the Lingenfelter N/A stroker V10 is fast.

Let’s go back to the original questions by UtahViper…

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by utahviper:
What are the fastest times put out by a normally aspirated viper motor with pilots and with slicks(ET's)!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this one...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I would also like to know what is the most HP & Torque people are getting out of N/A motors. If it is stroked please indicate.
Thanks!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW does anybody know how to spell "gauging"

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad, you're starting to sound like the imports that brag about having X hp per X ci. All I care about is hitting the traps before the other guy. If it takes a stroked V10 then so be it. As I've said before "They can remind me of the ci difference when they catch up to me. I'll wait for them at the finish line."

Regardless, any 10 second motor is impressive. Lingenfelter, Caldwell, BTR, Nase, Levin.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superchargers are awesome. Hearing the whine of a v10 sounds awesome. On the other hand there is a lot of "plumming" that goes with it. On an N/A motor its just motor which makes for simpler maintenance and probably cooler temps. That Lingenfelter motor looked as easy to work on as a stock motor. It's a tough decision for me. Thankfully I'm broke and wont need to choose for a while.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No flame intended for anyone but isn't Dons car a race car? Did the LPE car have a passenger seat, air conditioning, converters, mufflers, radio, heater box, all things that Dons car does not have? I'm not taking credit away from anyone although I know this question will make some people ********** at me. If the LPE car ran that et in full street trim it makes it all that much more impressive. Also, does the LPE car run on race fuel or pump gas? I know Dons car runs on race fuel. These are all major differences that shouldn't be overlooked. Just my .02. Like I said, I'm just asking, don't get mad at me.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Heffner:
No flame intended for anyone but isn't Dons car a race car? Did the LPE car have a passenger seat, air conditioning, converters, mufflers, radio, heater box, all things that Dons car does not have? I'm not taking credit away from anyone although I know this question will make some people ********** at me. If the LPE car ran that et in full street trim it makes it all that much more impressive. Also, does the LPE car run on race fuel or pump gas? I know Dons car runs on race fuel. These are all major differences that shouldn't be overlooked. Just my .02. Like I said, I'm just asking, don't get mad at me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the LPE car had passenger seat, radio, heater, not sure about A/C and it probably didn't have cats. I didn't see a fuel cell but that doesn't mean racing fuel wasn't in it. Actually unless you knew what to look for it just looked like a real nice Viper, nothing special except for the ET streets. It may have had a roll bar.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well!? Norwalk is right between NJ and Decatur In. Viper Nationals Sept 14-15. If we could just get some of these guys to race their cars instead of their dyno sheets this would all be settled! Spare some mileage on the keyboard and come out an race. We'll even pay you.
I talked to John Lingenfelter last year and the LPE car is with it's owner. I don't know if another one has even been built?

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viper Nation. I am the owner of the LPE 542 that you speak of. I did run 10.33 @ 134.85 in FL. on Feb 10. LPE built my car
a year and a half ago...it is the one that Car & Driver tested in the Jan. 2001 issue. I have just not taken time to go run it at the track...I drive it, alot. It idles with 18" of vacume, and it sounds stock to me. LPE did a great job with some trick cam timing to get it to peak so high up...5800!! And idle so smooth! All of the hopped up N/A Vipers that I have driven or ridden in have too rough an idle and bucked and ****** too much for me. My car looks and sounds stock...AC, cats, full exhaust, complete interior...etc. It is a stock ACR except engine mods!
My best ET was with DOT treaded ET streets, front skinnies, 3.07
gear, stock clutch, MGW knobs. 1.52 60' 6.68 1/8th @ 107..10.33.
In FL I broke the left axle shaft
frown.gif
It didn't hurt anything else, but I wanted to race some more. I am putting a 3.33 rear "sprocket" in now. Cant wait to try again!
Thanks and stay in touch, George Bryce

Reaction score
Hey Don Sr.

Thank for the Texan props. It's not very often that us Texans get any kind of props at all. Most think we are a bunch of psycho weirdo's. ( which we are ) We have a few new club members here in town that are doing some packages, and they say their going to lay some smack down. We'll see, but for now everything is the same... just a bunch of smack talking, no number laying down cars.

PS: George, That must be one incredible ride you have. Are you going to put gas on it?

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't talk smack....I let the score board do the talking. I ran my 10.33 at the Vette Viper Shootout in Bradenton FL on Feb. 10th. 61 cars entered. I won low et for no nos, no turbo, no supercharger, just motor. It was only a 7 hour drive to the race, and we would like to go to more of them, it was fun.
George

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up GB3? Tell 'em what it's like. All I gotta do is throw out a 10 second car to get in this mix?? All you Texans and Jersey folk need to settle this crap in Columbus at the Mopar Nats. How ya' doin v-mad?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Albert,

It's kinda hard for me to lay down any smack when my car is still in a million pieces.
smile.gif

Expect a call from me today to get everything to get her on the gas.

Anthony

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Columbus?? Mopar Nats. At this point the Mopar Nationals Promoter will not have a Viper Class!!! Didn't last year. Ohio VCA has offered to help fund a purse.

WE NEED TO CREATE SOME PRESSURE SINCE THIS EVENT IS LICENSED BY MOPAR. ANYONE WITH INFLUENCE IN THE HALLOOED HALLS, GET MARKETING INVOLVED.

Norwalk in Sept is a done deal. Ohio VCA to match the promoter's purse. Hey, I'm tired of taking the money. Someone out there has to be faster? I'm getting a big head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang