Fatal accident on NJ TPK Viper Owner

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi NY/CT,

This morning on my way up the NJ Turnpike I saw a terrible accident involving a tractor trailer and a red SRT10 convertible. My heart stopped when I saw it was a Viper, the car had NY plates. Has anyone heard if this person was a VCA member? Please let me know.

Thanks

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen that this morning at 6am.... Are you kidding me??? What???It was a Viper??That car was cut in half!!!!!

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speechless!!

large_accidL.jpg

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AND, the driver LIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NJ VCA president saw this himself this a.m......sad day for sure....young kids with a Viper---should not have happened.....they were just inexperienced and young...very sad. ~juli~

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wait wait...it wasnt there fault..from what I heard the 18 wheeler fell on top of the Viper...

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow and those kids were Greek... I'm hoping it's not who I think it is....I seen a red with blk top a few weeks ago with a young kid driving it....

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From The Star Ledger.

State Police have identified the teenager killed when the car he was riding in slammed into a tractor trailer in the southbound lanes of the New Jersey Turnpike early this morning as 17-year-old Thomas Demetro of Orlando, Fla.
Demetro, a passenger in a red 2004 Dodge Viper, was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:03 a.m. after being ejected from the car, police said. The driver, Mark J. Leo, 21, of Edison, was also ejected from the vehicle and was taken to University Hospital in Newark. Leo was listed in critical condition, hospital spokesman Rogers Ramsey said.

Neither Demetro or Leo were wearing seatbelts when the car, which was driving in the left lane near exit 14 in Elizabeth, veered into the tractor trailer in the center right lane and then slammed into the guardrail, State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones said.
The tractor trailer then skidded to the left and struck the Dodge Viper again, police said.
Jones said blood was drawn from Leo to assist in the investigation of the cause of the crash. The accident caused delays of more than 90 minutes as all traffic was diverted to the car lanes. Exit 14 of the Turnpike was reopened at 6:40 a.m., but the outer roadway, where the accident occurred, was not reopened until 10:18 a.m.
The driver of the tractor trailer, Taif Allah, 33, of Elizabeth, suffered minor injuries but was able to assist police in their investigation.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound fcked up, But does anyone mention the families? i think there more responsible for what happened then the kid behind the wheel...My dad got me my first Vett when I was 20...Man I can tell you I lied my ass off when I said I won't ever race..i mean I was pretty good but I got into a few insane racing situatiosn where I pushed it to the edge..So as much as I do feel sorry for the kid that died, the parents of the driver should have this hanging over there heads for life..

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree, well said.

i dont have kids but id NEVER give a viper to an 18 year old...EVER ! i dont care how much he lies and begs. it would never happen.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree, well said.
i dont have kids but id NEVER give a viper to an 18 year old...EVER ! i dont care how much he lies and begs. it would never happen.

Well, as a parent who taught my own kids to drive, and how to correct their mistakes by actually HAVING them DO the wrong things (at a parking lot, on ice, in snow, etc.)....I do not blame the parents here...HOWEVER----as you point out, a 'kid' those ages should NOT have such a powerful vehicle, as they are wayyyy too inexperienced (with the exception of vipergirl here!) to handle it. I do not blame the parents, I blame the driver.....juli

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound fcked up, But does anyone mention the families? i think there more responsible for what happened then the kid behind the wheel...My dad got me my first Vett when I was 20...Man I can tell you I lied my ass off when I said I won't ever race..i mean I was pretty good but I got into a few insane racing situatiosn where I pushed it to the edge..So as much as I do feel sorry for the kid that died, the parents of the driver should have this hanging over there heads for life..

And, they will...

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli

The majority of kids that own Vipers come from parenst that have money. I'm not saying all but many of those families are in a different realm of thinking.Meaning they love money, spoil there kids to death, and they don't have a realistic view of society in todays world.When you have mothers like FOR EXAMPLE Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan.Kids follow that trend. Look at these two idiots that have more money for being ******.One has a Bentley and crashes it weekly and the other has a Benz and smacks it around like crap.In todays world I get first hand view.I have many families that I know which have BIG money and I see how they take care of there kids.It's like the parents want there kids to own these cars so they can say hey look at my kid he/she has a Ferrari for the sake of it.Not thinking the consequences of a machine so powerful that adults get scared of when they drive it for first time. So gettign back to the point, many in this forum understand where I'm coming from.I would bet anyone in here put a poll up and see how many would buy there 20 yr old, no matter how smart or good of a kid he/she is.See what they say.I'll make you a bet the over 90 percent won't buy there kids a Viper or anything else as sporty as that. Lets agree to disagree....

My 2 cents...........

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, but YoTony, I'm NOT disagreeing!!! I AGREE~~I'd NEVER buy ANY of my kids an 'expensive toy', which is what you're inferring with the 'rich' people who buy their kids these cars....not ensuring they know how to DRIVE them. I DO AGREE....I'm a parent who taught my OWN son how to do donuts, how to correct, drive on black ice, etc.etc.etc., so know that I'm on the side of DEFENSIVE DRIVING~~that's what I was taught....there is no dispute here at all. Sorry if I made you think otherwise...~juli~

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no way to prepare a child for the situations they could encounter on the road.

My sons gonna be driving a Honda for while.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff your right.. But what they encountered were speeds of 140pmh..Thats not the norm for anyone to be doing...Plus big difference between Honda and Viper....

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, as a parent who taught my own kids to drive, and how to correct their mistakes by actually HAVING them DO the wrong things (at a parking lot, on ice, in snow, etc.)....I do not blame the parents here...HOWEVER----as you point out, a 'kid' those ages should NOT have such a powerful vehicle, as they are wayyyy too inexperienced (with the exception of vipergirl here!) to handle it. I do not blame the parents, I blame the driver.....juli

I will agree that many kids at the age of 18 should not have a powerful car but I would not say that about all kids. What if the kid learned how to drive at 12 years old or was raised in a racing enviroment with his/her father who taught them everything about driving? Like I said, I agree that most children should not have powerful cars but not all. Heck, look at all the 400HP+ Civics out there. If we say that they should not have a Viper, then they should have have a Civic as well.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tiger if thats the case or what ever the case may be, he was a fcken idiot..Look at the speed he hit the truck!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we can all just safely agree that this was a tragedy that just should not have happened...and hope that the people who read these forums understand what they're getting into with a Viper (or even as Keith pointed out, a 400hp ANYthing) and take it slow, easy, SOBER and SEAT BELTS ON. We all agree I think on these points.
~juli~

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this case (and in my opinion), the car represents the extraordinary manifestation of a parents lack of discipline. It doesn't relate to the horsepower or the driving capability of a particular adolescent. It all relates to parents who lack the confidence in their relationship with their children to say "no".

Far more damage is done to an adolescents as a result of obtaining material wealth without any sense of their value (a sense of value that would come from earning the required funds) than from a parent giving little but their own time to that child.

A "gift Viper" to a teenager is psychotic parental over indulgence. It speaks to the parents problems far more than to the teenager who'll spend hours daily rationalizing his "earned" opulence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4