Finding lost threads...

Discussion in 'Board and Site Questions/Suggestions' started by Steve-Indy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Venom Member - Great Lakes

2. V10SpeedLuvr

V10SpeedLuvr Enthusiast

This isn't a technical answer at all, but what I did was:

1. clicked on the link you provided
    2. when the webpage opened, I looked at the web address in my URL bar
    3. replaced "grail-trail" with "threads" in the URL bar and reloaded the page

I figured this out by manually finding the thread you inquired about and copying that current URL and then comparing to the URL you posted and finding the difference.

We lost a lot of threads like this when the website was upgraded last time due to a change in the forum software. Nothing that could be avoided unfortunately. Not sure if it is a fix or not, but if it one, Don can get it straight.

3. ViperTony

ViperTony Enthusiast

That's what I do as well chad. The correct URL will look like this: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/629200. I just noticed today that all of the links in the "DIY Quick Links" are broken too. Not sure what our programmer extraordinaire can do to fix these URLs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Steve-Indy

Thanks, Guys!! My major worry is all of the technical data lost to most folks with the combination of search problems previously outlined and the dead hot links. To me, that undermines one of the main advantages of this site...collective wisdom/insights/experiences, and mis-adventures...all of which is/are (was/were) useful info.

5. Steve-Indy

Administrators and Webmaster: I would sincerely appreciate hearing a solution to the issues that I raised above.

Many thanks in advance !!

6. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Site programmer

Welp, I suppose I can add an addition to the htaccess file for the site which will redirect urls (such as your example in the first post) to the new format. I'll have to try to discover all the old formats.....

7. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Site programmer

btw, nothing is lost... it's all searchable.