fine swirl scratches

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the right lite I can see fine swirl scatches. I have used carnubba the first three waxes. I since striped with dish washing liquid and put this liquid wa that seems to give an unbeilavble shine. It is called Vitreo. It comes with a in between spray shine. I have heard of this clay bar but am reluctant to use because I don't want to make it worse.

Any suggestions on how to use the cay bar and the results?

Thank You

Scott
06 red vert srt:dunno:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clay bars work well but need to make sure they are clean. Keep in mind clay bars will not remove swirls. they are used to lift contaminates from the paint surface.

OP
OP
S

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can be used to remove or hide the fine swirls?

Tahnk you

Scott

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to wash, I recommend real car was shampoo's (detergents like Dawn, Joy or ? have a higher acid content) buff entire car with 3M products or ,Meguiar’s this will eliminate your swirls. then wax using favorite wax, Zaino, 3M, Pinnacle, Meguiar’s, whatever...it's a user preferance at this point. I prefer these and Pinnacle. Zaino is too many steps for me, but others will swear by it. :D
You need good micro-fiber towels for drying and wiping down, that is where your swirls are probably coming from.
Example:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are some helpful sites;
//http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What can be used to remove or hide the fine swirls?

Tahnk you

Scott

Meguiar's NXT on the right hiding swirls.

4162ZainoCorvette7RAW1.jpg

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the baggie test to determine if you even need to clay.

Baggie Test
Place hand in sandwich bag and lightly rub across clean surface of paint. Baggie will amplify the grit allowing you to feel it. If surface feels rough you need to clay. I use any QD or soap (z7) and water as a lube and flatten clay into pancake, lightly rub across surface kneading and using new clean surface frequently. If you drop clay get a NEW piece.

Any good SSR like Zaino ZPC, 3m 39009 or Menzerna will remove light spiderwebbing and minor scratches and swirls. I follow that up with a good sealant like Zaino. Zaino Z5p is also designed to help hide any swirls that you are unable to remove. Zaino is also one of the most durable sealants out there so the swirls won't be reappearing in a few washes like with some products.

Vipers9500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently had some maintenance work done my RT/10 with instructions to leave the exterior surface untouched. Here is the deck lid after the tech lightly wiped down the surface with a shop towel to remove the light dust after sitting their for the week.

For their removal, I started with the least aggressive method and increased as necessary. After using a Porter Cable buffer and orange"cutting/polishing" foam buffing pad, I got minimal results with this combo. For these types of scratches, I stepped up to a yellow "cutting" foam pad and 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound. The 3M produced a very fine compound swirling(holograms) as it leveled the clearcoat to remove the scratches.

Once I was satisfied with the 3M, I then switched back to the oarnge pad and used the micro-abrasive swirl removal product to remove the swirling inflicted by the 3M.

After cleaning up the surface to remove all residues, this is right before applying the last step protection product:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found the new Zaino AIO to work very well at minor cob-webbing as well.

Most glazes/waxes that hide cob-webbing do so by hiding with an oil, not really removing them. Fusion and Z-AIO will remove them and leave your finish ready for your last step sealant or wax.

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Menzerna intensive polish, I've had great luck removing fine swirl marks and light scratches from all my car.

SLICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should become a site supporter if you are trying to push your products.

I've Sent PM's and Emails . I received one email reply . I replied to it and was waiting on a reply to it .

I PM'ed Y2K5SRT on 10-03-2007. I have yet to receive a response .

Last edited:

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a black 95 rt and it has all kinds of swirls in the paint. i bought all the griots stuff and others, i just dont have the guts to do it because i hear good things and bad things about every product. anyone in the RI area that has experience with this stuff? i would love to attempt this with someone who has experience.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a black 95 rt and it has all kinds of swirls in the paint. i bought all the griots stuff and others, i just dont have the guts to do it because i hear good things and bad things about every product. anyone in the RI area that has experience with this stuff? i would love to attempt this with someone who has experience.

Not sure which Griot's stuff you have...but I have all their stuff, literally. The key is to start with clean paint via washing and using the clay bar on the entire car. I had someone show me how to do this my first time and got the hang of it after 10 minutes...its not difficult at all especially with the Griot's stuff.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my father tried it on his white bmw. he did the clay, #2 and #3 buffing compound with the griots obital and then wax and speed shine. i was not impressed at all. he actually scratched the paint. no, i have no idea how he did that. your close to me, want to have a car care day? ill host! just tell me what kind of beer you like:2tu: .

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
using clay is very technique sensitive. must use lots and lots of soapy water to avoid scratching. clay must glide over paint. it almost falls into the category, "do not try this at home..."
ed

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BLACK--that's what we get...:( ...price one pays for having BLACK once again~LOL~and yeah, we keep ours cleaned up, but swirl marks? They are there...tried everything to get them out, they are THERE!! The way it goes for having BLACK...only WE notice tho, most car people do not. ~juli

Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dawn is alkaline, not acidic. The stuff from Slick's Performance looks exactly like Chemical Guys.

If you want to properly remove swirls and imperfections then you need a good polish. Menzerna continues to beat out all others. For Dodge clear, Id go with SIP then finish off with 106FF. After that you're ready for wax or sealant- there are endless decisions here. If you dont have the equipment or time to remove the imperfections, then you can go with a "polish" that has fillers in it. There are several of these out there and they might not specifically state that they contain fillers. But if you do an ISO wipe down after, then youll see what was removed, and what was hiding behind the fillers.

But the first step is buying quality chemicals that work. You also have to be knowledgeable about what you're using and know how to get the best performance out of them.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the new Internet business is selling rebadged Chemical Guys products as your own like Adam's and others do?

Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adams pretty much= CG. Ive used the CG diamond cut before and didnt like it at all. Dusts a lot and didnt finish nice. Doesnt compare to Menzerna at all.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the detailer spray very much, but found the leather cleaner, butter wax and a few other things to be below average at best. I use Menzerna or Pinnacle exclusively.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first post about using carnuba...has anyone addressed the problems what carnuba really is ?? It is a very hard product that has to be softened by some agent usually of a petroleum base ( kerosene or whatever) to make the carnuba pliable for wax use....putting a petroleum base on a cars finish especially when a car like the Viper usually appears on the road when it is sunny ! Think about the sun cooking this kerosene between the wax and the clear coat....this sometimes will yellow or worst even cause cracking....I saw it once on a Rolls Royce where carnuba had been applied...just my $.02

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BLACK--that's what we get...:( ...price one pays for having BLACK once again~LOL~and yeah, we keep ours cleaned up, but swirl marks? They are there...tried everything to get them out, they are THERE!! The way it goes for having BLACK...only WE notice tho, most car people do not. ~juli

Not true Juli. :nono: My cars are pretty much perfect, not a swirl mark to be found. Pick yourself up a Porter Cable Random Orbital buffer and a white foam polishing pad and go over your paint with either Zaino ZPC or Menzerna PO106FF polish with the PC speed set at 5.5. Buff until the polish flashes (it will turn clear) and then remove residue with a good micro fiber towel. Keep repeating this process until paint is flawless. Pending on how bad it is it may pay you to have a professional get it perfect with a rotary first and then you can maintain it with the orbital. I have taken many swirled black cars and made them perfect. :cool: If you wanted to bring it down in the spring I would be glad to show you how its done.

Claying

As far as claying, it too is easy. I would first do the baggie test to make sure it is even required.

Baggie Test
Place hand in baggie and lightly rub across the clean surface of your paint. The baggie will amplify any embedded grit allowing you to feel it. If it feels like sand paper go ahead and clay.

Claying Tips
I would use a good QD as my clay lube. I find that QD lubricates better than soap and water and prevents scratching better. Flatten your clay (I have had good luck with Zaino or Mothers clay) into a pancake and lightly rub across the finish. Then dry with a MF. Make sure you knead clay often and reflatten so you are always using a clean surface. If you drop the clay throw it away and get a new piece.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't really need to clay, don't do it.
MANY have added scratches to the paint incorrectly claying.