First time down the track

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '06 with Belenger exhaust and motons. Everything else stock including the runcraps. My first pass:

60' 1.921
330' 5.200
1/8 7.857
mph 92.94
1000' 10.121
1/4 12.093
mph 114.94

OK, so I missed 4th gear and coasted across the finish. :brick:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '06 with Belenger exhaust and motons. Everything else stock including the runcraps. My first pass:

60' 1.921
330' 5.200
1/8 7.857
mph 92.94
1000' 10.121
1/4 12.093
mph 114.94

OK, so I missed 4th gear and coasted across the finish. :brick:

Try leaving it in 3rd gear and going through the traps.

With your exhaust, you may need to shift into 4th, but I ran my best time in my '06 Coupe by staying in 3rd and bouncing off the rev limiter as I went through the traps.
11.90/122 stock w/ a 1.93 60'

OP
OP
K

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After 2 road course track weekends, an Autocross, and a few more trips down the strip I finally broke into the 11's.

The run craps are killing me though. I had to slip the clutch pretty bad on the launch to keep from breaking loose. I kept the car in 3rd gear but the rev limiter shut the engine off way before the 1/4 and I was actually decelerating across the finish.

60' 2.028
330' 5.238
1/8 7.854s 94.26 mph
1/4 11.944 120.61 mph

Is it normal for the rev limiter to just shut the engine off? Once I finally lifted it re-fired. I guess I expected it to rapidly cut the ignition on and off to limit the RPM. :dunno:

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always had to shift into 4th gear. The more you improve your launch- the more you will need 4th. With a decently prepared track you should be able to run a 1.75- 1.8 with the stock runflats. Just takes a little practice. But that's the fun of it.

Try watching this video. It applies to Vipers as well.
Launch_Tips

Best of luck.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's addicting...... I ran 11.88 with a 1.48 60' time. I had 3.73 gears with a stock diff. Motor is pretty stock just some botl on Corsa, K&N X-Metal TB and a DC mail in tune. I just installed and OS Giken diff with 3>55 gears so as soon as I do the break in I will go and try it out it should help since 4th gear was redllined at the end of the track. My MT drag radials are a big help and I run them at 12lbs.

OP
OP
K

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I only went to the strip once this summer for the Mopar Nats in Columbus (been running HPDE's instead). I just couldn't get the car to hook and spun the tires on every launch. DragonRider was there also and he won low ET for the V10 nats. I made it to the final round but got schooled at the line in the final against a nice GTS. DragonRider got paid for low ET and I got paid for runner up so I can't complain!

gtsjim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
speaking of down the track Plum you bringing that SILVER BULLET of yours to Island dragway on the 29th. Jim

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn you guys take your Vipers to Island?

Was there once. Never again. Slip-slidin' all the way, and that was in my SRT Ram.

Nothing like racing in the middle of a field though!:dunno:

krambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old topic however I couldn't resist the Island Dragway comment. LOL!

I have about 200 slips from there and you guys hit it on the head with the slip and slide comment. Only reason I frequent there is because it is only 30 minutes from my home.

To the OP, nice time for your first stab!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old topic however I couldn't resist the Island Dragway comment. LOL!

I have about 200 slips from there and you guys hit it on the head with the slip and slide comment. Only reason I frequent there is because it is only 30 minutes from my home.

To the OP, nice time for your first stab!

He's also VERY fast on a roadcourse, I have ridden with him believe me:lmao:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live about 15 miles from Island Dragway... Last time I was there was 1978 with my 70 GTO...

krambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's also VERY fast on a roadcourse, I have ridden with him believe me:lmao:

Trying not to hijack however I travel out rt 80 every day for work and see dozens of vipers (many on trailers) in the summer months. Is there a road course in NNJ?

I live about 15 miles from Island Dragway... Last time I was there was 1978 with my 70 GTO...

LOL! I grew up in Warren county (white township), my first "on the books" job was at Island Dragway.

NTD929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to revive a dead thread but......I was reading this and had to laugh.

As poor as the track prep WAS at Island, at least it was a close alternative to E-Town.
Im 26 and live on Long Island, the year I got my license West Hampton raceway closed
and it was E-Town or Island. E-Town is a world class track, but its usually crowded, you have to wait in the staging line for a while and
the time between rounds is long. Hometown tracks like West Hampton and Island were great, and now they are gone.

"They" wonder why illegal street racing is so prevalent.......

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. It's true. My nearest track is 2 hours away. 4 hours round trip NOT including the time at the track. :(

Btw, welcome to the club! :yay: :)