First time to the drag strip on my stock Gen 3

Mdeniz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to get some base runs in before beginning the mods, my car is bone stock in terms of performance, and I ran on the 20" street tires I have on it.

Overall i was pleased, I didn't think i'd get it in the 11s on these tires. And I actually got it to 60ft 1.81 in 1 run but missed 4th :cursin: other wise it would have been an 11.79-11.85

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.
11.9 in a stock genIII with street tires. :omg:

You must have some experience driving the 1/4 mile before this.
When the car was new, the ad spec was 12 flat......3.9 0-60.

Have to really know how to drive the car to get those numbers though.

I drive balls to the wall and am not afraid of much, but I know I would probably not get down to the 12 second mark on a dragstrip in my gen III. :(

I'm a roadcourse guy. :drive:

With drag radials, is 11.5 possible? :dunno:

:eater:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost ashamed to say...but I didn't know there where any gen 3 coupes...i thought they are all gen 4's!

Nice time though

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are probably rare as hell aren't they? Do they have gen3/4 mix ups like there was on the latest gen 1's?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't remember exactly, but if half the 06's were coupes, that would be around 5 or 6 hundred.

3 and 4 gens are totally different cars. No mix up.
Only exterior difference is the hood. The interior is the same, except some gen 4's had touchscreen nav (09-10)
Lots of gen 3 guys swapped to the gen 4 hood for more aggressive styling.

Frame, suspension, brakes, all the same.
Gen 4 upgrades/improvements were engine, transmission, clutch, differential, tires, lighter wheels, and ACR option.
Gen 3 has hydraulic cooling fan, gen 4 is electric dual fan.
Gen 3 was the last car with a throttle cable. The earlier gen 4's had a noticeable lag with the drive by wire throttle.
Gen 3's have a lot of aftermarket support for performance mods, gen 4.....not so much.

:eater:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The magazines got 11.8-9s in the quarter, and 3.9 0-60 on runflats, bone stock, 10 years ago. On modern PS2 or Super Sports, 3.7-8 or lower, and 11.7s in the quarter should be there. Gen 4s, take a half-second of those times.