First Time Viper Owner-'98 RT/10

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, great site!

I've had my Viper all of about a week and a half and am quickly accumulating lots of questions...I'll get to them over time.

One question I hvae right now, is (sorry for it sounding a bit lame) what are "smooth tubes." Being a motor head from way back, that could be lots of things but my guess is it has something to do with the two tubes for air intake at the front of the engine.

Can someone please enlighten me and also explain what the benefits are of changing?

Thanks so much.

Peter:dunno:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct. The stock tubes are corrugated and there are claims the smooth tubes add some hp. Welcome to insanity.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been proven to add 10HP. Might be the cheapest bang for the buck...but they're like 2 siren's calling out to a lonely sailor! LOL

Welcome to the world of modification.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Peter, welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on your '98 RT/10...may I ask what COLOR??? LOL...and mods already?
I'm VERY glad you spoke to our EXPERT, Mr. Chuck Tator his-self!!! PICS???? ENJOY!! ~juli

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, and let me say that I am thrilled to own a Viper and already see what a great community this is.

Speaking with Chuck was great and I have my first appointment to have him work on my car! Can't wait to get the assessment of my car from the resident expert.

By the way, it is a 1998 RT/10, Viper Red (of course), black interior, totally stock...still has original Pilots...yes, will be changing for PS2's.

Pictures already posted in my album, but the great thing about this car is (and I've already mentioned it a few times in other posts)...IT IS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT FROM MY (WAY COOL) WIFE! Here is a picture of the car...yes, the bow was my wife's idea!

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks to all and I certainly will be posting questions to the site. And, yes, I am also going to join this great club!

Peter

:drive:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I forgot to add my support (with a little edit)....

WE SAVED AND CONTINUE TO SUPPORT TATORS DODGE

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for the picture and description...and you will NOT regret having Chuck Tator (thanx for helping us help him save his business...!) involved in this beauty! Gorgeous!!! ~juli

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli...

Looking forward to working with Chuck. We've already mapped out a plan for how we will get things done on the car. He is going to help with the tires, already mentioned Parts Rack as the supplier for the tires.

Thanks on the compliment on the car...my obsessive nature has already had me in the garage every night this week, rubbing out the paint with Meguiars Liquid Cleaner and then a good coat of wax...each nite a different body part. I'm done with the exception of a few small pieces. My wife is fine with this obsession, as long as I do it after the kids go to sleep (3 1/2 and 2).

Thanks again.

Need to go for a ride:drive:....but its raining:(

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Peter, yep, it's an OBSESSION for sure!! One that's a VIPER FEVER with NO CURE~~~! LOL...just enjoy~~~totally! VERY glad you're bringing your car to Chuck's, you will be VERY happy! I think it's so nice that you and your wife have that mutual RESPECT...SO important~~GOOD for the both of you! ~juli
(BTW: 50 and raining here as well...drat...NO Viper driving...double-DRAT!!! Where are ya located?? Which VCA Region will you be joining? And, CONGRATS for doing that as well~~~! )

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thanks Juli, appreciate it. Not to get to personal, but we have a super relationship. Maybe it works so well because I am a "toy person" and she is not. She likes me to be happy and supports all my "craziness"...also have a 15 piece drum kit :headbang: that takes up 1/4 of our family room...not to mention I am an officer in our Fire Department. Makes for a might full week and no spare time, but always have to put family first!!!!

Okay, sorry for the soap box!

Anyway, did want to say that the first piece of advise from a post regarding closing my hood worked perfectly. Was told how to close the hood, where to put my hands and also that WD-40 worked very well on latches (but not on hinges). So, I sprayed them last night and hood closed immediately and fairly easily....
:2tu:

So, have a great weekend and thanks for all the great posts!

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know everyone is very proud of their car, as I am....so here is a better picture of the car from this past Wednesday!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, hi again Juli....just saw your additional post.

I live in Southern CT up in the hills. I assume I will be joining the New England Region of the VCA....but I am sure this will include lots (and lots) of Red Sox fans......being a born and bred Yankee fan!!!

But I see you're in NY, so is that the New York area region or is that part of New England...can't imagine New York would ever be part of New England!!! :)

So, then, do I assume that you take your car to Chuck as well????

Thanks.

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, yes, very very nice picture Peter!!! Hey, it's not that we get 'personal', it's just that we get to know someone a bit better!!! I could TELL that you and your wife have a GREAT relationship, just as Mike & I do~~~we both consider ourselves lucky to have found each other--shared passions and all! Thanx for sharing a little bit more about yourself! It's WONderful to find someone that you TRULY can enjoy life with...it's rare...and life being so short...ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!!!! ~juli
Ah, just caught your other post: We are 2 hours away from Chuck, and having had to have the car tuned, he referred us to a dyno-tuner//as Chuck doesn't have a dyno...and Mike does his own maintenance work, so no, we haven't been to Chuck for service, but have been there for his Tech Day~~plus have met up with him at numerous events. Yes, we are the NY/CT region, and if you're the NE region, you have GREAT people there as well...Jeff Torrey/Jerry Colpitts to just name a couple!
They usually come up here for TatorToga, do you think you'll be able to attend that event? For more info, http://forums.viperclub.org/new-yor...toga-sunday-may-18-a.html?highlight=tatortoga
I know that blackmamba1 is coming up from CT the day before, have you connected with him? Not sure how far he is from you in CT? LOTS of NE events mixed with NY/CT~~! Maybe we can meet you and your wife at one!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli....good stuff!!!:2tu:

Can I ask you, since you belong to NY/CT Region (I was looking at regions), what is the difference between New England and NY/CT? Is New England generally further North and NY/CT covers Southern CT area? :dunno:

Just curious before I join...want to make sure I join the correct Region.

Thanks again.

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, read all the posts I think....

Not sure which region, sounds like both are very good.

On TatorToga, Chuck did mention it yesterday, but we are going to be in Florida visiting with my in-laws that weekend. But, we will definitely come to some of the events with the kids, as would like to expose them to all the cool Vipers that show up. We do most things as a family, so this would be no different.

But, I'm sure you will be seeing us soon at one event or another.

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, that I do NOT know...I don't know which specifies which region you belong to...if you want, you can PM (private message) citysnake (our prez of the NY/CT region)...and Jerry Colpitts (prez of NE region)? I DO know that blackmamba1 is in CT, and belongs to the NY/CT region. Can't hurt to ask before you sign up! ~juli
**Bummer about TatorToga, but of course, there will be MANY events!!**

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

You are part of the NY/CT Region! NE Region is from Mass and North. The NE Region has a great bunch of people, so keep an eye on the NE events also! But the NY/CT Region rules [The Red Sox ****!!:lmao:] !!:2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, first, I'm a Yankee fan all the way....tough for me to be part of a region that is primarily Red Sox fans!!!:omg:

As I mentioned on the phone, this morning, I filled out the application for NY/CT region....sent snail mail, but wasn't sure there was another route...oh well, at least its done. I really do look forward to becoming more involved with this great club!:2tu:

Now, onto to getting my car ready for real drivin' :drive:

Thanks again.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Peter, nope, you are in GOOD company...Yankees rule!!! Glad to have you onboard the NY/CT region! We hope to meet you at one of the many events this summer/Fall. ~juli
**THANK you for being a firefighter**

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Juli, cool....GO YANKEES!!!

Having been pretty involved in clubs in the past (Corvette/Jag), I certainly see the value of being a member. Aside from the community itself, made up of (what I'm finding to be) a great group of owners, is the amount of knowledge, advice and tech support you get. I know, for myself, I will definitely be taking advantage of the knowledge found on here.

Appreciate the thanks on the fire thing. There's nothing like giving back to the community.

Look forward to meeting you and other members at one of the upcoming events! May watch :eater: as opposed to participating, as I will probably come as a family (SUV) for now.

Just ordered a set of PS2's...can't wait to see what a difference that will make.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, watching is fine too~~! Tho, we WILL have to see your Viper at SOME point in time~~LOL! I DO believe firefighters deserve HUGE thanks...not many realize what you all go thru each day...kudos!
Can't wait to see how you like the PS2's (no doubts there!)......and also for you to meet Chuck! ~juli

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the books at Tators, scheduled to drop off on the 24th (he's busy taking care of all those "emerging" for spring). And, yes, we will bring the Viper at some point, but I think my 3 1/2 year old boy will love seeing all those Vipers (and yes, he knows not to touch anyone elses car).:headbang:

An expression I hear often at fire meetings, is that when everyone is running away from a fire, firefighters are running to the fire!:crazy2:

Anyway, can't wait to try out those tires :drive: Spoke to JonB this morning and he was explaining that the tires are an asymetrical tread design and actually have different compounds on different parts of the tread.

So, you'll be hearing much more from me as I get things done on the car....right now focusing on trying to "spruce up" the engine a little...."trying to make shine what no longer shines":dunno:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red