first timer, looking for a wrecked Viper

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">I'm a newbie to the Viper driving world, so I need advice on where i can get a cheap wrecked Viper. preferably a 98 GTS, but an older rt/10 will do. i dont care what color, i'm going to repaint it anyway. contact me @ [email protected] </FONT c>

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Try going to the driving schools!

First time I ever went to one, I got out my car, and closed the door.

Then I saw a big dust cloud, and when it settled, a Viper had just hit the wall. Ended up with the typical average $25,000 repair.

I know this reply sounds cynical, sorry. But it has effect, no?

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">I never planned on racing my Viper, but I was planning on attending a driving school incase i changed my mind. After what you just said, i think i REALLY should.</FONT c>

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Foster1:
I'm a newbie to the Viper driving world, so I need advice on where i can get a cheap wrecked Viper. preferably a 98 GTS, but an older rt/10 will do. i dont care what color, i'm going to repaint it anyway<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foster, don't dispair as I'm sure many people on the baord were waiting for me to open my big mouth. So here we go...

First off - there is no such thing as a "cheap" viper (unless you count those corvette based replicas). Wrecks are common and there are many of us searching (like myself) but what you need to understand is that it will <u>always</u> be cheaper and better to buy new.

Heres why - when you find a wreck the first thing a wholesaler will not tell you is that the hood alone COSTS $15-20,000!!! I'm not joking. If you're lucky and patient you'll find deals out there but thats the norm for today. The front and rear facias - add another $5k. The paint (if you find a bodyshop willing to even touch a viper) will run another $3k. Scared yet? No? Well, add into the formula that if there is frame damage count on replacing that part of the enitre frame because its very tough to alighn them correctly.

Doubt me? Thats cool, most do, but ask Dansauto. His "cheap" wreck project costed him close the price of a whole car and he is a professional rebuilder. Call Joe117 too, his "cheap" $25k Viper is still adding on to a $40k plus bill and that car wasn't even wrecked.

We're always hoping for new members to the viper nation and I wish you the best in you endeavors, but don't look for a holy grail with these cars, you're more likly to hit the lotto. Also myself and quite a few other search the internet and local newpapers daily for new adds so rest assured you have much competition.

ps - the cheapest viper I have seen recently is a wrecked 93 for $26k. Its not likely to ever see the road again.

Peace...

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Bonkers, just write an FAQ
smile.gif

Write up a nice one, and I'll post it here on the VCA servers someplace...

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Thanks for your input Bonkers, i expected it to be expensive, but not THAT expensive!! I expected around 30-35K for the car and another 15-20K for repairs. The majority of the body work and the paint job i planned on doing myself(half the fun!!), since I love to restore cars. I've found a couple affordable ones on e-bay, but i don't trust e-bay. Well, thanks again for your advice and warnings.

PS, this pic should give you an idea of what it will look like when i'm done...</FONT c>
You must be registered for see images

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foster1, Your final price of 45,000-55,000 is way to much to have in a rebuild. Look around and you can buy a car that needs nothing for those dollars.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know that there is anyone who "made out" on a wrecked Viper.

My car went in the low $30k range, and I know from being on here and seeing parts prices that there was at LEAST $30k in PARTS ALONE for my car, if not more. That was for a 98GTS with 25k miles - maybe with low-mid 50's on the open market if in pristine condition with low miles.

The problem with Vipers is they are worth so much in parts. If you get a GTS that was hit from the rear, you're looking at $5k+ for each of the panels... close to $1k per wheel, $300 per tire, similar prices on glass, exhaust, etc. A hard rear hit could mean $20k in damages easy... on a 1998 car that devalues it to $30k before you take into account the loss of resale value. BUt that $30k car with a hard rear hit has a hood that will sell for $10k, an engine that will go for close to $10k, $2000 for a bumper $1,500 for each sidesill, $500+ for the hood glass, $1000 for the seats, $750 per wheel, and the list goes on. The parts value of a wrecked Viper is going to be $30k minimum regardless of age because the older cars have a lot of parts discontinued which makes parts almost as valuable or moreso than newer cars. Combined with a low number of cars made and the high cost of factory parts, there is a high demand for used parts.

I would say unless your goal is to have a lower up front investment and pay the car off in pieces, then you're better off just getting a clean car from the get-go, or else you will undoubtedly pay more in the long run for the car.

Remember there are a ton of folks who want a Viper and are willing to pay the coin to get one, even if wrecked. I don't think alot of these folks check into the price of repairs on these cars before they buy, which also inflates their wrecked values. Remember the Viper is the highest cost to repair vehicle in the USA according to insurance companies - more expensive than Ferraris and the like.

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Thanks for your advice, Mike. I found a dealer not too far from where I live that has two Vipers. One is a 97 blue w/ white and the other is a 99 Sliver GTS. The 97 is 41K and the 99 is just over 50K. Both have in the mid 30's for miles. Which one looks like a better deal?</FONT c>

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Foster1:
<FONT COLOR="Black">Thanks for your advice, Mike. I found a dealer not too far from where I live that has two Vipers. One is a 97 blue w/ white and the other is a 99 Sliver GTS. The 97 is 41K and the 99 is just over 50K. Both have in the mid 30's for miles. Which one looks like a better deal?</FONT c>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My personal favorite year Viper is 1999, because it is the last year of the forged pistons, and the first year of the 18" wheels. It has the airbag switch, alarm switch, remote trunk lock, power mirrors, etc. It is the most refined Viper while still being the old forged engine (which I prefer).

But that 97 for $41k is a GOOD deal, IMO! If you could get the 97 for $40k I'd be real happy if I were you. On the other hand, if you could get the 99 for below $50k I would also be happy. I'd shoot for the 99 at a target price of maybe $48k. If you get the 99 for anywhere in the 40's you did very well. The 97 for 40 flat or anywhere in the 30's is likewise a great deal.

Whichever one you buy, check them both out and report back here because those prices are good and I'm sure alot of folks would be interested in picking up the one you don't buy - just don't say where it is until you look at 'em or someone will buy them out from under ya!
smile.gif

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">I think I'll go with the 99, but i have one question......The 99 has 18" rims and I want to put on the 17's from the first Vipers, will this effect how the car's speedometer reads or the car's handling dramatically?</FONT c>

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep looking for a wrecked Viper and don't worry about the parts costing that much. You can find hoods and front or rear ends for around $500 all day long on e-bay. Used parts are easy to find also, it's just a car that needs to be fixed. If the frame is not too bad just pull it on a good rack and replace or repair the bad parts and paint it.I have a gen.I front facia I will sell for $500(perfect) and can send you a list of places to buy used. (Mine is worth almost twice what I have in it and is much better than new, runs and looks perfect and the frame is closer to factory specs. with better gaps)

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">that's what i originally intended. I'm a car guy and I like fixing things. So, this was kinda my dream. To not only own a Viper, but be able to say that I built it w/ my own 2 hands.</FONT c>

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">Just got back from driving those 2 Vipers from the dealer. The 99 sure was nice!!!!! The 97 seemed to shift easier though.</FONT c>

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">that's what i originally intended. I'm a car guy and I like fixing things. So, this was kinda my dream. To not only own a Viper, but be able to say that I built it w/ my own 2 hands.</FONT c><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100% which is why I'm after a wreck myself. I figure there is no better way to learn about your car than to build it yourself, right? Anyway good luck. Remember You'll find what you're looking for (wrecked, raced, or showroom) if you're just a little patinent.

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">I just want to thank everyone for thier advice and support. Hope to join the Viper driving world soon.</FONT c>

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. cycleryan, If you have a 95 RT that is worth about double what you have in it, then you have done an amazing job. I would figure a good 95 RT would be worth about $40k. Of course, I don't know how much you paid for your wreck and I don't know how much it had wrong with it. Without any prices involved you have done a great job bringing it back. Your car looks very nice in the picture.
As Bonkers said in a post on this thread, I'm one who has had experience fixing up a very much used 94. My car wasn't wrecked or even bumped, it just needed lots of fixing to bring it up to "nice car" standards. I would think my car is now worth low $30k. I paid $25k last Feb and now have about $37k in the car.
I frequent ebay and keep an eye out for Viper parts prices, even though I don't need any. I have seen many Viper hoods. I can't remember seeing one for near $500. I would think you might pay near that just to ship one. I haven't seen any deals on any Viper body parts that were bargains. I've never seen a paint job for sale on ebay.
What I'm getting to here is this, I don't think rebuilding a Viper wreck would be as cheap and easy as you are leading the questioner to believe. You may have gotten a great low price deal on an easy to fix wreck. I don't see any more of those out there, how about you Bonkers? You may have found a $500 hood but will anyone else find one?
The "can I rebuild a wreck?" post comes up all the time. Many people visit this site with this same question. You did it. Tell us in some detail what you did, what it cost and what you think your car is worth.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll tell you.. .I am a dealer, searched for about a year for a "light hit gen one. Watched many sell. I paid $25k for my 94 with 12000 miles. Looked like a light hit, hood, cover, headlamps, rad, cond, fan. Right front tire was pushed back in to the inner splash shield, frame had a slight buckle. I rebuild about 20 cars a year so I kind of know what I am doing. I am certifed as a master tech by ASE and paint certified by PPG. (not bragging-just giving my creditals) Slightly damaged hoods can still be found for between $1000-$3000. That was the single biggest ticket item. But the real problem with these cars is the frame. Thier is no place to anchor the car to pull. I acually welded brackets to the frame to try and pull the damage. I have a 4 post Guy Chart frame machine and was unable to get out the buckle. I had to jig the car up, jack the engine and section the frame. I bought a frame pc at www.viperwrecks.com for about $1000. and spent about 30 hrs doing the job right. When you look under my car you can not tell it was replaced. Recapping my cost (without labor) $25000 for car, $1000 frame pc, $1500 damaged hood, $500 front cover (used) $500 pair of head lamps, $200 pair of fog lamps, $200 raditor, $150 condensor, $200 powersteering pump, $200 front right rim. I had almost $30K in the car WITHOUT LABOR!! I bought some aftermarket stuff (hardtop, wing, K&N intake, headders, new exhaust, stereo, chrome rims, new tires) I don't want to know what I have in this car. I did pay a little more for the car that I had seen them going for wrecked, but it was nearby, low miles and clean. I also helped a friend redo a 97 GTS he also has as much in his car as he could have bought one straignt for. I won't do another one, these cars are worth too much in parts to be able to buy one cheap enought to save $ by fixing yourself. Add to that the difficulty and tools required to do this. (I don't think many people have drive on frame racks in thier garage) Facts are you can't get into a viper for less than $30K. Simply put, find a nice high milage car for between $30-$35K and drive it. Or buy a C6 vette for less than $30K and look like every one else.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. cycleryan,
There is a hood for a 95 Viper on ebay right now. The bid is $4k but the reserve is not met. Look's like you could make a fortune buying them for $500 and selling them for more than $4k.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dansauto tells it like it is. If you want a daily driver or "icon" listen to his advice - it's worth taking. If you want to prepare a car for the track then it might make more sense. Sell some parts, make some conversions and go racing. It's cheaper and better than trashing a viable street machine. Like everyone said though, you'll still have lots of competition finding the right car at the right time.

OP
OP
F

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Sunny 00 GTS ACR:
Dansauto tells it like it is. If you want a daily driver or "icon" listen to his advice - it's worth taking. If you want to prepare a car for the track then it might make more sense. Sell some parts, make some conversions and go racing. It's cheaper and better than trashing a viable street machine. Like everyone said though, you'll still have lots of competition finding the right car at the right time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<FONT COLOR="Black">Maybe you hadn't read my second post, but I AM NOT racing my Viper. After rebuilding it and adding my own customizations, it will be worth too much to me to risk wrecking in a race.</FONT c>

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The $4000 hood on e-bay has no bidders, ($4000 reserve way too high),the $900 hood will sell, DUH!! If you want to do it and not spend a ton of money , you have to be smart. Look before you leap. Yes you can fix it for less as long as you look around before you buy.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. cycleryan, I see the $4k hood on ebay has no bidders, however I didn't see any hood for $900. You said hoods were on ebay all the time for $500.
You said that your rebuilt 95 Viper is worth twice what you have in it. I would like you to give a little rundown of just how you did that. There have been a few people on this thread that seem to think that isn't possible. Why don't you back up your claim and show everyone how it's done?
How much did the wreck cost?
What did you do to fix it?
How much did the parts cost?
What do you think the car is worth now?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow Joe, he really has you bent out of shape doesn't he? But I am with you my friend. After the past few months I too would love to have a &lt;$30K snake sitting in my garage. The cheapest hood I have ever seen was $3500 and that was just an incentive to buy the rest of the car. (read: "Buy my wreck and I'll throw in the hood for $3500")

In all seriousness though I do realize there are deals out there. I once saw a 94 go for $10k at a DEA(type) auction. I have even seen wrecks rebuilt and sold for profit at $35k, but as of this morning that still is not the norm.

Foster - viperwrecks.com, Partsrack.com, Ebay.com, and snakeoylproducts.com are some of your best bets for getting good cheap viper peices...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant