Fixed my A/C for $4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hemihead said:
Do I need another package of O rings or can I find the ones I need in what's left in the AutoZone package
That autozone package is what I used as well. There were enough o-rings to do all four.
The condenser has the same ones on inlet and outlet.

tito#14srt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good is the a/c on the gts 96-2002 compared to a gen3 or gen4 a/c system? I have heard different opinions on how gts has less a/c vents and so fourth and that the A/C will never be cool enough to where you will turn the knob down because it got too cold in a state like texas or florida where it stays hot year round I would like to have a/c.. thanks

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm making popsicles too! First time in four years I ever had to turn the AC blower down! Thanks folks, I appreciate all the info in this string.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up the O-ring set yesterday. Looking at the lines going in to the compressor, all looks clean. Would a leak sniffer be able to determine if anything is leaking from that area? I think I will do that since it looks pretty good before i replace.
Also, what is the low pressure supposed to be at when not running? I checked mine and it was in the 80 range. I also noticed a bit of "bubbling" at the valve when I took the cap off. I tightened it a bit, but thinking I may try replacing the Shraeder valve first. Anyone have a pic or part # for this valve core? (low pressure side)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the o-rings. checked areas with electric sniffer. no leaky in mentioned o-ring area. area was clean too. sniffer "hit" mostly at high and low shrader valve ports. replaced both of those, no much leaky now-if any. oily areas at plumbing going into evaporator box, and sniffer "hit" on that too, just not that bad.
we pulled vacuum, changed shraders, and filled with roughly 26 oz of new 134a. ('98 calls for 1.81 lb, 29-30 oz). coils were reading about 45deg. the car was sitting still/idling the whole time (20 mins), but air was not as cold as I was expecting. it was cool, just not COLD, COLD. Based upon gauges, all seems to be where it needs to be.

Gonna drive it tonight and see if :
1) it blows any colder or should that even make a difference?
2) SHould I try and put another 3-4oz's in? would 3-4 oz's make THAT much difference?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put about 450 miles on it this weekend. AC blew really cold as long as we were moving. Sitting/moving slow with this humidity, it blew "cool", just not cold. I didn't realize
movement (air passing thru the condensor) made that much difference.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I abitually always had the AC on the recirculating setting; i.e. recycling the cabin air back through the AC. My logic was that it would not stress the condensor as much leading to cooler & drier air blah blah blah. The other day I was experimenting a bit and tried the AC on the normal outside air setting. What I found was that the air was actually cooler than recirculating the cabin air. Hummm..well it felt that way anyways. I really need to take actual temp readings, but what the hey... Oh one other benefit of using outside air vs inside air was that the air was a lot cleaner smelling since I was not injesting my catless exhaust fumes and by using outside air, it sort of pressurizes the cabin and allows the rear vents to move air from the front to the back and on out.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my logic as well. Get it going cool inside then hit the recirc cycle. Hi flows make our trips more enjoyable now. One of the best things I did (for my brain cells AND clothes in the trunk :D )