Foam Tape to seal K&N Intake/Airbox?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I might find some foam tape to seal my K&N Intake/Airbox? As those of you who installed them know, the K&N does leaves a small gap at the top/center and large gap at the bottom/center. I actually got some thin black foam tape (sticky on one side) at the Advance Auto Parts but I had to cut it into small pieces and build it up towards the centers. I thought I did a good job until after I checked on it after a drive - most of the pieces blew out. I'm thinking that if I used thicker foam tape and tapered it on the sides it might work.

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used 3/4 inch weather striping from Home Depot. $ 3.95 for a 20 foot roll. It has been on for 800 miles of spirited driving and has not moved. Makes a nice tight seal.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used the thick foam tape and it worked great. The problem was that I was constantly removing the fugly K&N to install the stainless RSI snorkel for car shows and meets. I got tired of re-doing the foam tape everytime. K&N and foam tape are now in the St. Mary's county landfill.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Same as above, Home Depot, heavy duty 3/4 inch black rubber weather stripping, sticky on one side. Easy install, no issues. I stuck it onto the OE housing, added a smaller piece in the center and no problems.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all...I was going to stop by Home Depot 1st but the wife talked me into Advance Auto Parts - I have to stop listening to her.