found a GTS 97 and need some confirmation

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a very nice 97 GTS with 13K miles on it for sale. The paint is perfect, the rims are like new, the front end has no scrapes, no repaint, interior looks brand new with no seat wear or door panel wear. The rear tires are new and the fronts have about 50%. The title is clean and the warranty history shows only one repair with no details back in 6/2000. The car has no modifications.

What would be a good price for this car.

Does anybody know of a good transporter that could take the car from FL to Cincinnati without charging me an arm and a leg?

I am thinking of buying the car sight unseen other than photos and a walk around with the sales manager on a cel. phone.
Seems kinda risky but the dealer has been around for 30+ years and they seem to be clean when a did a background check on them.

What would be a good price for the car? What do you think the value will be this time next year if I keep the miles down?

I will post the offer they gave me after I get some feedback.

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found most 96'-97' GTS's are going for 48k to 57k. I know that's a wide margin but the price obviously depends on vehicle condition, mileage, location etc...etc.... Also try to find one with an existing warranty. If there is no warranty remaining on the vehicle you can purchase a Chrysler extended warranty. I bought my GTS at Buhler Dodge and got the 4/48 Added Care Plus with a $200 deductable for $2050.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's in as good as shape as you say it is, I'd say easily 50K+. The blue/white are unarguably the most desireable GTS' with the lower of the spectrum going to higher mileage more worn cars. I bet they are going to do nothing but increase in price after the GENII production stops. I'd say if you've got the $$ jump on it now.

Craig
Our Viper
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is red with black interior by the way. Do you think the value of these cars will go up in the next few years rather than down? This gts factory Warranty is up and from doing a search an extended warranty is recommended. Why is that? Do these cars break down a lot? It is also a converted car from Canada.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it's in FL, even though the mileage is low, I'd want to be sure it wasn't a rental. If you say where it is in FL, someone on here might be willing to check the car out for you, no guarantees but at least an unbiased look at the car in person. I had this done for me by several FL members on here for me, and I've done it for someone else, so you might want to post the location - don't worry about someone getting in on your deal
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The car is in Pompano Beach
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the dealer name? There are more than a few bad dealers around that area. I'm sure you can find a local to check it out for you, it's too far from me. As for the price $49-52K seem fair being that it's red, and red can be had in any year. Your description almost sounds too good and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Also the rear tires don't wear any faster than the fronts so if they have been replaced its because of some
BURNOUT.gif
not really a big deal, but good to know.

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Toby,
I don,t know what exzactly your looking at paying for the car you are looking at but i know of one for sale, that is i looked at a 97 red/black interior gts in severville,tn the car had 3600 miles, imaculant. 53k firm he,s asking 58k. I ended up buying a new car locally. This is a very nice car.If your interested e-mail me and i,ll give you his #. Jerry

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, as for the actual condition who really knows...I am going by a walk around with the dealer manager with him on a cel. phone and pictures that they posted. I understand the tire wear thing, my father in law has a ZR1 and it got a new set at around 15K miles and the rears were toast and the fronts still had about 20% on them. The car was driven, sometimes with the pedal to the floor but it was still taken care of.

The dealer sells exotics all the time and has been in business for 30 years from what I can remember.

Thank you for the posts and please keep them going..they are helping me decide. The asking price is 46900.00 by the way. Seems like a great price.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to ask, "How much are they askin?"

That's a <u>GREAT</u> price! I'd jump on it for sure, but I'd just be really leary @ buying anything sight unseen! I'd definitely jet over there really quick! I had a 97 years ago & I flew to NC for the morning just to make sure it was OK. The mistake I made Toby was not going for a test ride too! You should go over there and fire that baby up & take her out on the road for a quick spin! Heck, look for some traffic! You're buyin it! Watch that Temp gauge and make SURE the cars OK!
That year was the Best color combo in my opinion! I'm actually really thinkin @ buying the raffle car that's being sold right now just for the color!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TobyT:
The car is in Pompano Beach

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, I'd post a new thread, saying "Looking to buy new viper located in Pompano Beach, anyone available to inspect?" or something to that effect, because those who might be willing to do so may not catch this thread. The price sounds great, hope the car equals what you know so far. Also important to know is whether it is under an extended warranty.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby, don't want to rain on the parade but I am the same boat as you looking for an early GENII, but reside up in Canada.

The speedo must be changed on a Canada spec car going to the US, therefore at some point in time, some one swapped out the speedo, VCA tech, DC dealer, or someone in his garage that found one off a wreck??? Here's the kicker: it's up to the ahem, 'goodwill' of the installer to match the mileage on the new odometer, or a sticker is applied to the dash, or jamb, that indicates the cluster has been modified, guessing the walk around phone call missed the sticker part, in all likely hood because it's not there!!!

Bottom line, call Bill Pemperton, I did, and learned alot. In his opinion, a Cdn spec car (imported to the US)is worth 10K less to him on a trade, and 10K less on a retail sale as well. keep that in mind, call him to verify all of the above, as I am not 100% on the specifics. I am importing from US to Canada, and the speedo is not required to be changed, interestingly enough.

Best of luck, and check the board, and autotrader.com, low to mid 40's is the norm for a 96 GTS, add a few thousand for a 97, and red usually sells for less than blue.(stock or near stock, 80 point car, 12-20K miles, no warranty). I recall a 97 red on the VCA classifieds that was a good value, and of course all numbers are negotiable, it can't hurt. Now is the time to buy........

as far as shipping check intercity, reliable and concourstransport, all skilled at moving a low slung car.
figure a thousand bucks for your trip ballpark, enclosed, liftgate loaded, not ramped, and insured!

take care,
Ryan

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As posted: "I am going by a walk around with the dealer manager with him on a cel. phone and pictures that they posted. I understand the tire wear..."

...guess I would WORRY about having the "fox" describe to me HIS wonderful security system protecting the "hen house"....a difficult task even with the best intentions.

I have been told by TRUSTED Dodge dealers that converted Canadian Vipers generally are at a lower value in the secondary market when compared to an "identical" American Viper...though I have NO data to back that opinion.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heared that the laws on used cars in Florida are weak. Buyer beware. I would not trust a salesman on the phone unless I was talking to Bill Pemberton or Chuck Tator.
Extended warrantee is an insurance policy on your cars drivetrain. If it goes, without a warrantee, so does your bank account.
We are not trying to hassle you. Just looking out for you. Buying a Viper is very exciting, but be carefull. Very easy to loose 10-15 thousand on a car that was miss-represented.

Good luck, we are rooting for you.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what do you guys feel a converted Canada car is worth? The miles thing scares me some as their is too much "gray area". I think the computer should be checked too but that could have been changed too I guess. I am calling Monday to see if the car has the stickers and who did the change of the spedo. I think I will have the local Dodge dealer check the car out too. keep the posts coming! This is a great help.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice would be to find a cheap flight down to Florida and check out the car! At least have a VCA member check it out for you if possible! You can even pay for a tech inspection to give it a full test for you and send you the report(around $100.00).
W/O warranty remaining, you don't want to get stuck with any sort of problem. Also, find out what you can about the speedo conversion etc!
I bought a Prowler a few years back in Texas. I flew out, checked it out, went to lunch with the salesman, then flew back home! Total cost of around $300.00, well worth the trip! It was shipped out the next week!
Don't buy this car without having it checked out properly! Especially in Florida!!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
beware of buying a car off the internet with posted pictures and a walk around with the dealer manager. Last year i purchased a car off the interent. instead of flying to texas to look her over i took the persons word. the car posted for sale was immaculate ready to go. After 7 months trying to get the seller to ship the car (lots of excuses) i decided to go get it. Susprised i was. The car was a mess. The interior was ripped up,
the gauges were all gone, the title that was faxed to me was not the same title. All signs pointed to a stolen car....BEWARE

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
Bottom line, call Bill Pemperton, I did, and learned alot.
Ryan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

....Except how to spell his name....
smile.gif

Is it Pimperton, Pimplebrain, Peppermill???.... I'm sure he doesn't mind what you call him, just buy a car from him and everything is cool!!! (Plus he usually has a fine selection of "slightly experienced" Vipers that have been traded in, and have well documented histories - Will probably have even more when the SRT/10 is released.) ;) OK Bill, This endorsement will cost you a "sody pop" next weekend at RA!!

Seriously, GenX is giving good advice. I might also add that there have been many satisfied buyers that have bought a NEW Viper sight unseen from a trusted dealer on this board. Also I would feel confident purchasing a used Viper from a board regular (dealer or individual) without checking it out in person. But if you can't find someone to look at it who knows what they are looking for (some owners and board surfers don't) I would run to a deal or seller you can have confidence in.
smile.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction Bigs, I should have figured you'd come in on my 5:00am post after a long night of ummmm, cocktails, and do some polishing on my post!!! thanks
Tell Bill some dude up in Canada is called him Pimperton, he'll like that! I talked with Bill for an hour on a car he didn't even have for sale, class act no doubt.......

Toby, call Bill Pimperton, and ask him about CDN imported cars!!!!

Have dealt with Jenkins a few times a blue/white sold their a few weeks back within 2 or 3 days, I was considering flying down to check it out and it was gone, semi-coherent salesmen, so the place may check out all right, but still leaves the speedo swap and true miles up in the air, and absolutely destroys resale value, regardless of it doesn't bother you.

If you see the car, do the obvious pedal wear, seat bolster wear, corresponding with mileage, Viper logo color on calipers for signs of abuse, etc.....

best of luck,
Ryan

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:
I'm telling you, like I tell everyone.

Never buy a used car from a Florida dealer. Florida is THE 'sanctuary' state for car crooks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speculation aside, the paint is pretty shiny, as well as the interior looks new. The transmission tunnel carpet is pretty much perfect and (I would think) would have been trashed if it was a rental. The seats look really good too. No tint as well suggests that it hasn't been messed with and has been looked after.

Just my opinion.

Craig

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Speculation aside, the paint is pretty shiny, as well as the interior looks new. The transmission tunnel carpet is pretty much perfect and (I would think) would have been trashed if it was a rental. The seats look really good too. No tint as well suggests that it hasn't been messed with and has been looked after
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That assumes the car in the pic is the ACTUAL car in question. As others have stated Toby do not buy this car sight unseen, your just asking to be ripped off. This particular dealer always has "cheap" Vipers for sale they are always $5K less than other dealers, makes you wonder. Also I would NOT trust what this dealer told you over the phone.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:

That assumes the car in the pic is the ACTUAL car in question. As others have stated Toby do not buy this car sight unseen, your just asking to be ripped off. This particular dealer always has "cheap" Vipers for sale they are always $5K less than other dealers, makes you wonder. Also I would NOT trust what this dealer told you over the phone.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MES,

Exactly, I meant to include that if this was the exact car in the pic then it was blah blah blah etc... Of course I wasn't reccommending to buy the car sight unseen. I could only ever do that with a BRAND new car.

Craig

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going to keep looking as my gut tells me that where there is "smoke" their is fire. Too many areas of concern with this car... the new rear tires...the Canada conversion, the distance from Cincinnati (not really a big deal) and the lower price is nice but does tell me something is fishy. I do remember the sales manager telling me it was purchased from a Jag. dealer there locally but didnt tell me it was a converted Canada car.(maybe hiding something) Maybe I will call the dealer and offer 43,900, have the Dodge dealer look at it and see what happens. IF everything checks out then I will fly down to FL for the day. Thanks guys. I think I want to find a car with more of a USA history, an extended transferable warranty and from a private one owner. I like the red but really like the blue and white.

Thanks for all the emails too...this has to be the best group of car nuts I have ever had the pleasure.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
hmm... jekins auto... Why does the sign in the picture say Brascars? Different dealership? Different business? Different Car? oh, wait did I just say that out loud?

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby T

My buddy just purchased a 99 RT10 for 41K with I think 14k miles so I would definatly check the Viper market carefully.

-----------------
01 Yellow GTS
01 M3
02 Escalade
01 740i sport

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bonkers:
hmm... jekins auto... Why does the sign in the picture say Brascars? Different dealership? Different business? Different Car? oh, wait did I just say that out loud?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ask the same...its a dealer next door. They are located on a street with lots of dealers. notice the fence.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to pass on the car as it was looked at by a member here. The car is clean....but....the bottom of the car has been repainted and the front tires need replaced soon. The dealer told me over the phone that the car didn't have any paint work. Maybe he couldn't tell as it matches pretty well. strike 3... repaint and not telling me about the Canada conversion...your outa there! Nice car but its not for me right now. If I can't find anything better maybe I will give him an offer.

Thanks to all and I hope this thread teaches others to be careful!.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes is did get the vin.

1b3er69e9vv301097

I have been thinking about the car more and the dealer actually called my today about it. I think he really wants to move the car. He is asking 46,900.00 currently. I might offer him something like 43 or 44 and see if he jumps. The negs on this car is non-polished wheels, Canada conversion, and no warranty.
The very nice guy who went and looked at the car said its very nice for a 5 year old car. My wife who is frowning on the whole Viper deal did show some agreement if the car could be purchased in the low 40's as I am sure I could resell the thing without taking a bath.

Still looking and wondering what comes next. Maybe that blue and white GTS is right around the corner for 40K with 10K miles and the guy has no idea its worth. (dreaming I know)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235