Found out I'm running lean on my NA Gen II

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
running a VEC II (came with car). The dyno pulls I got over the weekend show A/F of 13.0 - 13.2 through the pull. I plan on sending what is written to the VEC II along with the runs to Sean Roe to get a better tune.

But until then how do I dump or clear out the VEC II tune?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry about dumping the tune you have, just over ride it with the adjustments Sean sends out. Don't do any WOT pulls with the current tune and you'll fine.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed but if I wanted to ...

Sean said if I had the time or inclination I could remove a spark plug to check for detonations. I always thought it might be running a little lean and on a road trip last year to Phoenix from Albuquerque, the car seemed to run a lot better at the lower elevation of Phoenix. Albuquerque is over 5,000 ft. in elevation.

Due to a crazy work schedule I have had very little seat time since I've owned this Viper and have avoided WOT because I thought 'something wasn't right' with the tune. Plus I didn't want to grenade the engine as remote as that might seem. That's why I want to dump the current tune but I may not be able to do that without disconnecting the VEC.

FYI, my numbers were 441/475 (hp/tq) with Belangers, Corsa and Random Tech Cats.

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should disconnect the vec and run an SCT on your car, which we can program for you with your specific mods.

Todd

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the smart thing to do - I only wish there was someone near me that I trust AND has the capabilities to remove from the car - without ruining or chopping up the wiring harness.

I will call you later to discuss ...

Mike

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to have to eat my words as I recommended (on another post) to keep my Vec II. Well I'm going to remove it and go from there. Todd at AC Performance spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone going over what my numbers mean (they were not as bad as I originally thought), and alternatives given my current configuration. Great guy and he certainly was under no obligation to spend any time with me. Definitely one of the good guys! Anyway, given this configuration:

Power adders:

B&B Long tube Headers (1 ¾ ), Random Tech hi-flow catalytic convertors, New Corsa Cat-Back exhaust, Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller Rockers, Correct length Harland Sharp push rods, guides, lifters, Roe Racing Valve Springs, increased spring tension for roller rockers, Smooth Tubes, Roe Racing VEC2 Engine control module – Fuel and Timing only, MS Recalibrated Dodge Factory ECU – Turn off all OBD II functions that effect tuning. Not detectable by SMOG station this is a new factory ECU from dodge for “off road use”. No idea what this is. Is it a Mopar Performance Computer available for Gen IV's?
MSD 8.5 mm Plug wires and Bosch Platinum Plugs

Braking/drivability/usability:

3.55 differential gear (stock 3.08) with new factory LSD and speedo calibration module
Big Brembo / Gran Turismo brakes front 14” and rear 13”. Floating Brembo Rotors with aluminum hats
Brand new Michelin Pilot Sport tires: 295/35/18 Front and 345/40/18 Rears
Dynamic Suspension Coil Over’s (Factory Race Shock) for GT-2 car, rebuilt at about 14,800 mile by Lambo shop in Phoenix c/o Eddie Martin (car has 16,000 currently). Put them away and Eddie installed GTS shocks - I don't track the car.
Centerforce Dual friction clutch with centrifugal assist weights, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, Fluidyne Aluminum 3 Core Radiator, Roe Racing Front Bumper Fascia Cooling Ducts for radiator, Roe Racing Adjustable Radiator fan control module and 170 Degree Thermostat
Le Mans GT-2 rear wing - Meh. I would never have done this but it's okay and way too expensive to try and go back.

Everything except the new tires, GTS shocks, and Corsa exhaust were done by the previous owner. How easy is it to get to 545-575? I don't need the most expensive heads and cam but what can I expect to pay for this plus install?I think I want to keep it NA. My car currently is at ~445/475.