From Wash to Wax with Adam's

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the Viper away for the winter and have slowly started to clean it up. The holidays are so busy, I've been doing it step by step over the weeks, so expect updates.

I intentionally didn't clean the car since the clinic in order to get it really dirty. I wanted to clean it once, right. Look at the dust buildup on this thing!

You must be registered for see images

I had a lot of bird droppings on the paint, so even before washing the car, I spray down the droppings with Adam's Waterless Wash to soak and loosen them up.

Next, I rinsed the car off and then broke out the Adam's Foam gun to lift all that dust off the paint. I use Adam's Car Shampoo mixed with water. Make sure to put the water in first, shampoo second!

Take notice of the quick connect fitting with the shut-off valve. They are made by Gilmour and you can get them at Lowes or Sears. Super cheap, great pieces. They have them in brass as well, which will not crack, but I like the plastic around my paint.

Foam started settling by the time I got the pics:

You should let the foam loosen up the dirt for about 8 minutes. While I let the foam do it's magic, I cleaned the wheels with the Turbo Stick. I am so obsessed with this thing, it kicks butt!

It's real good for getting around the brake calipers and even good for the wheels wells. My car has Motons and is pretty low, so the wells are tough to get a hand and pad in.

After the Foam had settled, I rinsed it all off and foamed it again.

I forgot pictures of the two bucket system and wash pads, but the next step was to setup two buckets with Grit Guards and wash the paint. I started from the top of the car and did one panel at a time. After each panel was cleaned, I dipped the pad in the rinse bucket and scrubbed it on the Grit Guard.

I use three pads; Jumbo Adam's Wash Pad for the top half of the car and the Adam's Wash Pad for the lower half. I use a Walmart microfiber pad for the wheels.

Once the car is washed, I rinse the entire car with purified water. I use the CR Spotless purification system and it makes a huge difference in my paint. With the valve on the quick connect almost closed, I use a final puddling rinse to remove most of the water.

Next, I dried the car with my green leaf blower. Watch AJ's videos on how to do this.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those bird droppings wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds on my paint from when they landed, that is paint etching acid!

OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few days later, I began to clay the car. My was this car dirty! I used Adam's Clay Bar along with Adam's Detail Spray as lubricant. The dirtiest part of the car was the side of the doors and the rear bumper. I think the side exhaust really soots the car.

Look at the soot from the door:

Once the car was clayed, I wiped all the old DS with a clean microfiber towel. Next step was to remove all those scratches that suddenly appear!

Justin Ege from the Adam's Forum (Jeep38) stopped by and wanted to try the Flex with the New Adam's Severe Swirl Remover, so he went at it for a bit.

There were not too many really bad scratches so I did the rest of the car with the Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover.

I went over the car twice and it looked pretty good. I think I'm going to go over the car once again before spring time, but I'm impatient!
I followed up the SHR with Adam's Fine Machine Polish. The FMP really cleans the paint up and gives it the shine!

I taped off the decklid and polished the right side(PS) first, but it's kinda hard to see the difference in my pics. I need to get a real camera!

My attempt at a Junkman shot. You can see the swirls in the light on the left. The paint on the right of the tape has no swirls.

The car after polish:

OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stay tuned for more updates:

Glaze and Wax

Wheel and Brake Polishing

Interior Cleaning

Engine Bay and Trim Detailing

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming along great! Cant wait to see the final results. Black is best when its all cleaned up!!!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed your car doesn't have and badges. Can you post a side picture of your car? I also have a black vert and was thinking about taking mine off. My right side "E" in Viper, the silver is peeling off and on driver side the "S" in SRT is doing the same. I purchased new emblems, just haven't put them on yet.

OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge hasn't paid me to advertise and I like cars without stickers, if possible. One day this winter I'm going to make a belt with the front emblem.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am envious of your capability to wash the car in the winter. I'll definitely have to pick up one of those turbo sticks though.

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am envious of your capability to wash the car in the winter. I'll definitely have to pick up one of those turbo sticks though.

I'm sure if we ask nicely Eric will let us swing by one day and hang in his heated garage to wash ours... as long as we get it up there!

Diane

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, for those that can't learn from watching a video or pictures.....don't we have a live demo coming up April 16th:2tu:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, for those that can't learn from watching a video or pictures.....don't we have a live demo coming up April 16th:2tu:

That would be correct sir! I will be back in the spring for some more training for those who want to see how this is done up close and in person.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Didn't know it was going to be April 16. I'll mark my calendar now!

My car needs some attention as well. Yes, I have had it out (not since Christmas Eve though). Don't believe in letting cars sit. I am going to TRY to give her a little drive on Sunday, as long as the roads have cleared up from this snow today.

Scott

OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'll be at the shop tonight and some time this weekend. You're welcome to stop by and wash the car. I know they were salting around me @ 6am, so I'm going to wait til it rains before driving again.

OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is listed on Adam's site as the Power Stick. The newest model is the Turbo Stick:

It will hook up to any drill, I recommend cordless around water. The Turbo Stick is designed to clean your wheels without damaging them. It is really good for tight wheels, like Viper wheels. I simply spray the wheel with Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner and dip the Turbo Stick in my bucket of Adam's Car Wash Shampoo solution.

It really saves your knuckles from getting beat up when cleaning your wheels. I highly recommend!

I'll throw in a FREE 16oz bottle of Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner with every Turbo Stick.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a Daily Special on Adam's Forum recently for the Stick. I'll still honor the Daily Special Anyday!

FREE Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner and FREE 4oz Adam's Metal Polish with the purchase of a Turbo Stick.

Been workin on my truck all week. Will get back on the Viper next week.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked on the site as I was going to order and take advantage of the special, but I can't find it on the Adams site.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked on the site as I was going to order and take advantage of the special, but I can't find it on the Adams site.

Click on the Thompson Racing Link in his offer, he is the Adams Vendor and site supporter, he will hook you up.

OP
OP
T

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Daily Specials are in the Specials section of Adam's Polishes. The Turbo Stick special was a few days ago, so it won't be up now as Dylan updates daily. If there's ever a special you've missed, hit me up. I might even be able to throw more FREE stuff in.

Remember, you can always use the Junkman 10% discount on the Adam's site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth