fuel pump better/bigger than stock

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my stock fuel pump. I am looking for a direct drop in pump that is better than the oem. Is the Walboro 255 bigger/better than stock? Is it a drop in replacement? Ido not want to add multiple pumps or returns lines etc. Is there one available that is better than stock. I may be maxed out with the current stock pump and the MSD boost a pump at 700rwhp with a 10lb Roe blower and water ****. Any info/suggestions would be great. thanks Tim

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no its not bigger or better than the stock pump, The stock pump is good for 600-650 Hp. The 255 is good for about 500 hp.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snkbyt....what is your reasoning for the larger capacity pump? Is your car S/C'd? If so, it would require an upgrade in the fuel system and the 255 would fall short by a mile, and would be unnecessary for a stock or relatively stock car even with upgrades ie: headers, intake smooth tubes and filters, 1.7 RR's, etc.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no its not bigger or better than the stock pump, The stock pump is good for 600-650 Hp. The 255 is good for about 500 hp.

The stock Gen II pump is actually closer to 200 lph, the 255 is an upgrade. I am running a single 255 with BAP at over 850 hp on nitrous. I log fuel pressure and the pumps holds up fairly well.,

OP
OP
S

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure the walboro 255 has LESS output that stock? Do you have any specs on the pump.

I am sure there are people running S/C cars with one pump and making over 700 hp. I was hoping to hear from the people who are running this set-up. Roe says there are most definately S/C cars that are making over 700 rwhp with one fuel pump, a boost a pump and water ****. This is what I like to do. I had previously made over 700 hp with the stock pump, MSD boosta pump and water ****, before i experienced a lean condition over 5000rpm. I was going to replace the stock pump and replace it with one pump that was better than stock.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i imagine there ARE guys doing it but how close to that edge do YOU wanna run ? i think you're right on it at that point. one little hickup and you are in trouble.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure there are people running S/C cars with one pump and making over 700 hp. I was hoping to hear from the people who are running this set-up. Roe says there are most definately S/C cars that are making over 700 rwhp with one fuel pump, a boost a pump and water ****. This is what I like to do. I had previously made over 700 hp with the stock pump, MSD boosta pump and water ****, before i experienced a lean condition over 5000rpm. I was going to replace the stock pump and replace it with one pump that was better than stock.

What you describe above is exactly my system. Stock pump, with a BAP and W/M, but I am on the ragged edge. I am guessing you have a GTS, which is easier to upgrade, but I have a RT/10 and it is a PAIN to get to. If I go in, I am putting in a 2 or 3 in-tank setup. :2tu:

OP
OP
S

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock Gen II pump is actually closer to 200 lph, the 255 is an upgrade. I am running a single 255 with BAP at over 850 hp on nitrous. I log fuel pressure and the pumps holds up fairly well.,

How much rwhp are you making without the nitrous? Just curious how much the walboro 255 with the boost a pump will support.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am guessing you have a GTS, which is easier to upgrade, but I have a RT/10 and it is a PAIN to get to.
Not true, the RT/10 has the access panel in the truck. It is the GTS in which the service manual states you have to "CUT" into the fiberglass and create your own access panel. I have a RT/10 and had to replace my pump. I ran out of gas and after a fill up the pump was junk. The reason i ran out is because the guage indicated i had just under half tank. The reason the guage was wrong was because it was a loner ECU. Mine was off getting a tune so i was able to borrow this one to be able to drive car. Car is an 02 and loner ecu was told was out of a 98. Also as an upgrade after i gound all the pop rivets off i added blind nuts and phillips head screws. This way all i have to do is unscrew a few screws and pull the tank. It will be much easier than having to take the drill and drill out pop rivets.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not true, the RT/10 has the access panel in the truck. It is the GTS in which the service manual states you have to "CUT" into the fiberglass and create your own access panel. I have a RT/10 and had to replace my pump. I ran out of gas and after a fill up the pump was junk. The reason i ran out is because the guage indicated i had just under half tank. The reason the guage was wrong was because it was a loner ECU. Mine was off getting a tune so i was able to borrow this one to be able to drive car. Car is an 02 and loner ecu was told was out of a 98. Also as an upgrade after i gound all the pop rivets off i added blind nuts and phillips head screws. This way all i have to do is unscrew a few screws and pull the tank. It will be much easier than having to take the drill and drill out pop rivets.

Not true. The GTS has a factory access panel directly above the fuel pump module that is a snap to get to. The GTS fuel pump much easier to r&r. The 255 is an upgrade over stock.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

probably correct, I have a gen 1 and from what I have read they Gen 1's flow slightly more than gen2's. I have read alot that the 255's are great pumps but they are not as robust as the oem pumps. Just look at the construction... the oem pumps run alot cooler an and are overengineered. the 255's are perfect for supplemental or in parallel with other 255's From what I have read on turbomustangs forums they are not reliable for over 500-550hp full time applications. Maybe with the BAP it would be ok.

Reaction score
Please note: if you utilize the Walbro 255 lph internal pump, make certain it has the "HP" efficiency. That would mean High Pressure for boosted or BAP applications. Standard 255's drop off efficiency under higher pressure loads.

If you need the 255 lph "HP" internal pumps we have them in stock.

Best of Luck!
Doug

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much rwhp are you making without the nitrous? Just curious how much the walboro 255 with the boost a pump will support.

525 NA - but, that shouldn't matter, the pump is also supplying the the enrichment for the nitrous. SC and TC engines are a little different since they have to overcome the pressure in the chamber, in other words, my set-up would have to be derated for SC cars.

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am out of fuel above 5,000 rpms running the stock fuel pump with a MSD boost a pump with 10 psi of boost. I am looking to upgrade the rocker arms and maybe the throttle bodies, so I need more fuel.

Option 1 is going the quick and easy route replacing the stock pump with a Walboro 255 and using my existing BAP keeping all the stock lines.

or

Option 2 is going with the RSI hanger, dual walboros, new larger fuel lines and regulator.

I guess the question is, is it worth the extra cost and hassle to go with option 2?

How much supercharged RWHP will option 1 support?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oem viper pump is 195 lph pump. The 255 (lph) is an improvement, especially with the booster pump. I am running one i bought for a Mustang from Summit.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option since this thread was last posted is the Bosch044. In the Subaru world (they use lots of fuel) the Walbro255 maxes out around 400awhp, otherwise people run dual walbro255s, or an in-tank Bosch044. It's a loud pump, but has proven itself over 600awhp.

here's a good thread on the walbro255lph in-tank, dual walbro255lph in-tanks, walbro255lph in-tank feeding a slosh tank with an in line aeromotive a1000 (or dual a1000), walbro255lph in-tank feeding a slosh tank with a bosch040 (or dual 040), and single in-tank bosch040.
What Fuel pumps are people using on their 525+whp - NASIOC

Nick

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supra is no better than walbro255.

Nick
Yes it is, slightly... just not enough to negate the cost.
The denso pump is closer to 280lph at the same voltage as the walbro, but it costs 3times as much. I don't know much about the bosch044. Is it an in-tank pump?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to do it over again I'd go with the dual in tank set up from RSI. It's a cleaner install and limited noise although I do like to be able to hear my pump working.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is, slightly... just not enough to negate the cost.
The denso pump is closer to 280lph at the same voltage as the walbro, but it costs 3times as much. I don't know much about the bosch044. Is it an in-tank pump?

Yes, it can be either in-tank or in-line. I'm not sure if there's different variation for in-line/in-tank. But before I sold my STi to pick up the Viper I had a new fuel system lined up, including the in-tank 044 (I didn't want a slosh tank).
There are fuel filter socks available for the 044.

044 in-line
You must be registered for see images

044 in-tank
You must be registered for see images attach

Links to 044 in tank vendor (I in no way associate with this company, but it's who the Subaru guys go through)

in-tank 044
Pegasus - Bosch High Output 72psi Fuel Pump - 200 LPH

fuel sock
Pegasus - Fuel Safe ASA 5700 Sock Filter for High Pressure Fuel Pumps

fuel sock anti-collapse
Pegasus - Fuel Safe Sock Filter Adapter for Bosch 044 Fuel Pump

Nick

Last edited:

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've uses and have seen many Bosch 044 pumps in-tank in my DSM years ago. I made alost the identical set-up pictured above. My car was a 2.0L with 640hp at the wheels with **** injection on pump gas. I used decent sized injectors and was only at 70% injector duty cycle. That being siad, the 044 was pretty loud but so was my DSM so it didn't really matter. The 044 is also a chubby pump. My GTS is stock and I've never thought about removing the pump. I'd like to know if anyone knows if it will fit in-tank. I also understand there are different versions of the 044 like there are of the walbro 255. Look into this as well.

AFTER A CLOSE LOOK, my Bosch 044 was, I believe a 340lph pump. The above mentioned pump is smaller in size and output if my memory serves me right.

Thanks

gabe

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think gsav is right about the size of the 044 - I've heard about 340lph.
But the price is high if you were to do a dual setup. And a dual walbro setup is good for high HP - up to 1000+hp.
It would be interesting to see the max hp a single 044 could do in a Viper though.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id rather go with what has been tested and proven. i blew up at least one engine already, im not gonna risk another....

for the price of 2 walbro's is it really worth it ?

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason so many Subaru's run the 044 over dual walbro255s is there have been many documented failures in the dual pump set ups.
when a single pump fails, your car doesn't run.
when a pump fails in a dual pump, your car still runs, but your injectors are not putting out the same amount of fuel, unless your running a wideband, it will not be noticeable and . . . something is going to have to give in the engine.

FYI, I ran a Walbro340 in my Grand National for 8 years; Walbro255 in my white STi for 45k (hard) miles on 816cc injectors; Walbro255 in my blue STi for (hard) 20k miles on 850cc injectors. The white car was run out of fuel on more than one occasion, the GN once. I never had a pump failure.

Nick

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will second that on the walbro 255. I ran a heavily modified turbo Dodge 2.5 at 28 lbs of boost for over 20,000 miles and not so much as a hic-up on huge injectors. I even had a fifth injector in the intake tract to help at the ragged edge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth