Gateway Club- Cruise this weekend!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gateway member Jeff Rose has put together a nice cruise this weekend. Let's meet this Saturday, 10:15am at the Barn at Lucerne at Clayton and Holloway. We will finish at The Bluffs in Fenton at 30 & 141. If there is any interest, we can grab some lunch afterwards in the area. There is no need to RSVP to me for this event, but PM me if you have any questions.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you guys have that magical device called a HEATER!

But it's supposed to rain Sat and that IS a dealbreaker.......

Yep, I have that "magical device called a HEATER".... it's in my garage where my car will be...;):rolaugh:

....when the snow starts Saturday. ( predicting 1-3 in. now...) We could go for a snowmobile cruise instead.

50's next Saturday though... :dunno:

REDSNAKE... Did you get your new clutch in yet?

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In all seriousness, you need to run the heater now and then to flush the coolant in the heater core. Otherwise, it can get pretty gunky. And don't forget to run the A/C, for a few minutes, whenever you drive the car in the winter. I assume the Viper is like almost every other modern car. If you run the defroster, the A/C automatically turns on. And put the windows up and down a couple of times......

Starting it and running it for a few minutes, in the garage, is not that great an idea either--but better than letting it sit all winter, I guess. It needs to be driven until the oil and water temps reach their maximum. Otherwise, you're getting differential expansion of all the metal parts. I try to do this at least every two weeks.

The diff especially needs the car to be driven, otherwise the gears sticking up above the oil level will get no lubrication and can even begin to rust. Transmission too.

And I've noticed that the tires on my 2008 are really susceptible to flat spotting. On a cold day they really 'thump' until they warm up. Best to drive the car and have it sit on another part of the tire when you get back. When we left the Viper Christmas Party it was the coldest my car has ever been in. For a minute or so, I thought there was something seriously wrong with the suspension or a tire, until I realized what the cold temps had done to the tires.

I keep my garage heated in the 40's, at all times in the winter. It's much better for the car. By the way, I was interested to read in the manual that you are NEVER supposed to start the car if it's below zero. Never saw that before in any owners manual!

You think it's hard keeping a special car healthy thoughout the winter.....you could own a classic motorcycle!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness, you need to run the heater now and then to flush the coolant in the heater core. Otherwise, it can get pretty gunky. And don't forget to run the A/C, for a few minutes, whenever you drive the car in the winter. I assume the Viper is like almost every other modern car. If you run the defroster, the A/C automatically turns on. And put the windows up and down a couple of times......

Starting it and running it for a few minutes, in the garage, is not that great an idea either--but better than letting it sit all winter, I guess. It needs to be driven until the oil and water temps reach their maximum. Otherwise, you're getting differential expansion of all the metal parts. I try to do this at least every two weeks.

The diff especially needs the car to be driven, otherwise the gears sticking up above the oil level will get no lubrication and can even begin to rust. Transmission too.

And I've noticed that the tires on my 2008 are really susceptible to flat spotting. On a cold day they really 'thump' until they warm up. Best to drive the car and have it sit on another part of the tire when you get back. When we left the Viper Christmas Party it was the coldest my car has ever been in. For a minute or so, I thought there was something seriously wrong with the suspension or a tire, until I realized what the cold temps had done to the tires.

I keep my garage heated in the 40's, at all times in the winter. It's much better for the car. By the way, I was interested to read in the manual that you are NEVER supposed to start the car if it's below zero. Never saw that before in any owners manual!

You think it's hard keeping a special car healthy thoughout the winter.....you could own a classic motorcycle!

Whew.....
Glad I never need to worry about all that...

Seems like if the car sits for more than two weeks, I take it somewhere for more "mods"...:rolaugh:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI - Not trying to sidetrack this thread, but, a "trick" which does wonders to prevent flat spots is to park in the garage with several layers of old carpet under the tires.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey BLUSRT...( I see you on here) I know a guy selling some black HREs. he wants to trade for some stock wheels too...
FWIW

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI - Not trying to sidetrack this thread, but, a "trick" which does wonders to prevent flat spots is to park in the garage with several layers of old carpet under the tires.

I have heard that too.

I just can't bring myself to put old carpet under my tires...:dunno:
And look at that crap under my car everyday...

( no offense directed at you, OKLONERANGER)

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Still scratching my head over the carpet thing. But I think I've heard this before. Just how is this supposed to help? Keep the tires a bit warmer? Change the shape? I'm willing to give it a try. Now let's see, should we use indoor outdoor, berber, or maybe SHAG!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey BLUSRT...( I see you on here) I know a guy selling some black HREs. he wants to trade for some stock wheels too...
FWIW

thanks tree snake,but i want black chrooooooome! oh ya 5 spokes!ya the srt 5 spokes!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
upper 60's this weekend and the rain is supposed to hold off until the evening: the cruise is a GO~!

hey rx,can u video tape the complete cruise for me,i cant make it,then send it to me,maybe throw in a viper shirt or something too!thanks buddy.:lmao:

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could make it, but can't be out there by 10:15. Do you have details on where the cruise is going? Maybe I can meet up in the middle? Or more likely maybe I'll just meet at Gravois Bluffs at the end to hang out for a bit, any idea when you'll be in that area?

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt- all I can tell you the cruise is about an hour by what Jeff has said. My daughter has a 9:30 ortho appt. so I will prob have to catch up to them as well..

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey rx,can u video tape the complete cruise for me,i cant make it,then send it to me,maybe throw in a viper shirt or something too!thanks buddy.:lmao:

That actually would fall under our club videographer's title, but since we don't have one it sounds like you just volunteered. :slap: Screw that family reunion, the club IS your family now beeotch! :+:

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took a few pics from today's cruise:

Here is Steve's awesome ACR:

You must be registered for see images attach

some of our club members; notice the shorts, it was 82 degrees!

Ok not the best centering job on this photo, but I took it over my shoulder. We had a nice cruise on some great roads! BTW folks ,that is NOT salt on the roads.

Jeff in his VOI-10 coupe leads the way. Sweet car Jeff!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62