Gen 3 buying question

QPE51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am getting ready to buy my first Viper and decided I wanted a Gen 3. I was wondering what are some of the things I need to look for, when purchasing a Gen 3. I've done a lot of research, but I wanted to hear from real Viper owners. I've admired these cars for years and believe nothing can hold a candle to it! I appreciate any help with making the right decision and I know I've come to the right forum. Thank You :D

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the VCA. You dont have your location listed but usually if you have any questions on a particular car, a VCA member in the area usually has no problem going to check it out for ya. Very nice and knowledgable people on here. Car fax is good but can be false due to the person not claiming an accident on there insurance and just paying out of pocket to have it fixed. One thing I lookd for when we bought ours was overspray with paint ANYWHERE on the car. All body panels on vipers are sprayed separetly and off of the chassis. Im sure more people will chime in with somore insight for ya. I hope that helped a lil.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great resource is the Viper Buyer's Guide. It will fill you in on the differences of all the Vipers through 2004. It is very helpful.

Do this as a search for the info that you are looking for...

Open a GOOGLE search window...enter this...

site:forums.viperclub.org Viper Buyers Guide

A bunch of VCA threads about purchasing vipers will show up...you'll have to peruse them to see which are applicable for GEN IIIs. Most of them contain valuable information about purchasing any vipers.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although not easy to do, the best thing is to have the car inspected BEFORE you buy it. It is sort of a pain to coordinate, but you need to get the car on a lift and look for accident damage and over spray, as was mentioned. It is best to drive it, but usually a test drive around the block won't tell you everything. Trying to find a competent person to inspect it is rare as well.

All you can do is do the most that you can. Autocheck, Carfax, see the car, drive the car, have the car inspected... all this costs money and could end in nothing.

I tried to have my car inspected at the best place, but it was too far for the owner, so I went to a local Dodge dealer who may or may not have known what they were doing. At least I saw the car myself on the lift and did the best I could.

No matter what you do, you never really feel 100% until time passes. I eventually took the car that I already purchased to Tator's Garage, the wizard, and once he gave the car his blessing - THEN I felt 100%. If something was wrong, too late.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4