Gen 3 throttle body

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello this is Gary from X-Metal Engineering. I just wanted to share with you our new throttle body for the Gen 3. I have worked on the development of this for over 2 years and now we have it perfected. we cnc it from military spec T-6 aluminum and we cnc the blade out of stainless steel, and everything is micro-polished for a mirror shine inside and out. when the machining operations are performed, the throttle body is completely fixtured and bolted down to replicate the way it will be attached to the intake manifold for a precise apeture bore and to maintain the center axis alignment for the throttle shaft.
We also incorporated 4 internal shaft bearings to hold tighter side to side tolerances and allow for a smoother throttle pull than stock.

We will have TB's for Gen2's in the very near future as well as the 2008 model.

I have also attached a dyno run of our TB installed on a bone stock 2004 mamba Viper. With nothing done to the car, it picked up 13hp and 10ftlbs to the rear tires!
Also, we back our throttle body with a MONEY BACK WARRANTY-IF OUR THROTTLE BODY DOENST MAKE MORE POWER FOR YOUR APPLICATION-WE WILL GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK!!
We have tested this throttle body for over 2 years, and we have over 30 testimonials from very satisfied customers,
so that’s why we have a 100% money back Guarantee!!

Our new Billet TB retails for $590 and I look forward to helping you all in any way.
Thanks!
Gary
812-453-4862
812-477-1740

Attachments

• DSCF2038.JPG
    DSCF2038.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 256
  • throttle body run (Medium).jpg
    throttle body run (Medium).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 221

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like your throttle body is a direct bolt-on replacement for the stock unit with no other mods whatsoever to the car. Is that correct?

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like your throttle body is a direct bolt-on replacement for the stock unit with no other mods whatsoever to the car. Is that correct?
yep. our TB comes with pictures and complete instructions. its a really painless process, and you wont even get dirty!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very interested. Can you explain where in the new design is the additional power created? The larger bore, smoother airflow etc.? Trust me I am not doubting your claims one bit. Prior to any performance part purchase I always want as much information about the product and how it works and the improvements over stock. While i understand the benefits of better tolerences and the benefits of the shaft bearing you dont speak much about how it creates the additional power.

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very interested. Can you explain where in the new design is the additional power created? The larger bore, smoother airflow etc.? Trust me I am not doubting your claims one bit. Prior to any performance part purchase I always want as much information about the product and how it works and the improvements over stock. While i understand the benefits of better tolerences and the benefits of the shaft bearing you dont speak much about how it creates the additional power.
good points. we tested other TB's over the years without much success in finder one that made more power without a trade off in other areas-like idle and throttle response. its easy to go too big, or not enough. one of the ways that we do make power with our TB is the machining process, it allows tighter tolerances around the blade area-(and the blade is also polished after be machined), for improved throttle response and great idle qualities. this and a carefully designed blade and bore size and shape allows for smoother transition for the airflow into the intake, whil keeping port velocity high.
the stock throttle body is a dual butterfly design. it has 2 round openings. this is fine for a massed produced unit, but it is done with bean counter in mind and the fact that since the stock TB is cast, they dont have to worry about clearance issues, since having 2 blades, with a tapered bore allows for good throttle response but at the a lower cost. think of it as striker heads/ported heads VS stock heads. the stock heads are ok,(sorta) but with budget constraints what they are, they could be better. our TB is the same comparison.
i posted some pics here of what a stock unit looks like compared to ours. our unit isnt completely assembled in these photos, i just grabbed one for these shots here.

Attachments

• DSCF2131 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2131 (Medium).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCF2132 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2132 (Medium).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF2133 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2133 (Medium).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF2134 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2134 (Medium).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF2135 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2135 (Medium).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 216
OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one more side view. sorry i am no photographer!:)

Attachments

• DSCF2136 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2136 (Medium).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 200

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it appears you've essentially made a TB that omits the OE divider and now uses one large butterfly. Any numbers on how much more area your TB's passageway has than the OE unit?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I am very impressed. Essentially you eliminated the dual butterfly design with one single butterfly with more volume, better clearences and smoother flow?

A few more questions, just to confirm, no idle problems? No low end power loss? No surging? If these are all no, you have me sold...

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I am very impressed. Essentially you eliminated the dual butterfly design with one single butterfly with more volume, better clearences and smoother flow?

A few more questions, just to confirm, no idle problems? No low end power loss? No surging? If these are all no, you have me sold...
the trick was the correct cross sectional width and area, along with the right profile leading into the apeture. that combined with a some other details wroking in unison makes for an efficient unit that improves airflow with no restrictions. by using a manometer on both sides of the throttle body during testing we could determine that different designs posed pressure changes in positive and negative fashions. it took a while of testing to determine which was the most efficient overall design to go with. by using a different style of shaft bore, and multiple sealed bearings, there isnt minimal side to side movement, and no vaccum leakage thru the shaft bore or bearing area. on a stock TB we could measure more leakage here, which leads to vacuum leaks, and on a boosted engine, another source for pressure loss.
no to all, except it works like a champ.:2tu: a few of my customers have given me testimonials with their email if you would like to ask some of them how they like it.
i appreciate the valid questions, it helped me to put into words, what i need to properly explain about our throttle body. i love this forum!:)

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very impressed. You will hear from me shortly. Sounds like a great product overall.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you see any issues with passing all 50 states emissions tests? Have you run a California emissions test on this throttle body and have it been C.A.R.B. approved. If you have approval then i think you have a great product here. What is the cost to VCA members?

Robbie

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you see any issues with passing all 50 states emissions tests? Have you run a California emissions test on this throttle body and have it been C.A.R.B. approved. If you have approval then i think you have a great product here. What is the cost to VCA members?

Robbie
it wont affect emmisons as the engine will stay in closed loop mode just as before, and the ecm will adaptivley also learn during open loop (wot). thats the beautiful thing about it, it doenst affect emmisions, it has the same affect on an emmisions test as a new airfilter-none. your monoxide levels might actually be better due to the engine being more efficient even at idle.
i priced this $50 below what others sell for, so how about for the VCA guys we do free shipping and free X-metal t shirts? and maybe you guys could send me pics of your cars afterwards so i can put them on my site?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered mine. Looking forward to the install. I will post some comments and pics when done.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it wont affect emmisons as the engine will stay in closed loop mode just as before, and the ecm will adaptivley also learn during open loop (wot). thats the beautiful thing about it, it doenst affect emmisions, it has the same affect on an emmisions test as a new airfilter-none. your monoxide levels might actually be better due to the engine being more efficient even at idle.
i priced this $50 below what others sell for, so how about for the VCA guys we do free shipping and free X-metal t shirts? and maybe you guys could send me pics of your cars afterwards so i can put them on my site?

Is there any chance of doing a group buy?

Also, do you know what sort of gains might be expected with install of your throttle body plus a DC Performance PCM reflash?

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any chance of doing a group buy?

Also, do you know what sort of gains might be expected with install of your throttle body plus a DC Performance PCM reflash?
you should see a gain that coincides with mods you have. the more efficient you make the engine wih exhaust, programming etc, the same percentage gains will go with the new throttle body addition. (like adding a catback with headers etc)

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One question before I order one, does it come completely assemblied or do need to remove the stock spring, arm and TPS and add it to the new one?

Thx

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One question before I order one, does it come completely assemblied or do need to remove the stock spring, arm and TPS and add it to the new one?

Thx
yes, you remove the 4 screws that hold the stock blades onto the shaft, pull the shaft out, insert it into the new TB and use the new supplied screws we give you to bolt the new blade on.
infact, our instructions show it step by step, with pictures. its about a 20-30 minute job from start to finish, including removing the old tb and installig the new one onto the vehicle, and firing it up.:2tu:
I have had customers with little to no mechanical abilities change over to our TB, and i checked back with them and they remarked it was a piece of cake!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
X-metal,

PM sent.

Dan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary I just got my throttle body and must say it is a work of art.

In Looking over the directions i noticed that I have to install the throttle blade. Question is there any potential concerns of the throttle blade locking in place if not installed 100% correct? Is it difficult to get centered?

Another question regarding the TPS - what is the likelihood it will need to be adjusted? Should I just go out and geta volt meter anyway?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey nader. I just installed mine Friday. Do use the piece of paper thing the front page of the instruction worked good for me:) . It "plate" doesn't touch anywhere and is very smooth. I had no problems with the tps sensor at all. Just take your time and it's a breeze. You will be impressed with the throttle response. I am going to shoot some photos and give result after my dyno this friday on it. PM me if you need any input on the install or im sure gary will help you too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth