Gen 4 ACRX Headers now available from DC Performance!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When the generation 4 Vipers came into production, I was very interested in how these new engines would perform with a long tube merge design header. I figured with the higher rpm and variable valve timing that an equal length merge design might produce the best performance.

In the past when we built a head and cam package for an engine we opted for a merge header for peak power and a tri-y header for midrange power. On the new engine we thought a merge design might be better for both.

I have had a good relationship with American Racing Headers and when a close customer of mine Todd Gomez (Bad Boyz Garage) asked me about what I liked about their design, he indicated that they should design the new ACRX header. He pitched it to SRT and the rest is history.

Fast forward to now, the new ACRX header is now available to the public through a select dealer network. DC Performance is proud to be one of these dealers. If you want the header system preferred by SRT for the new Viper. This is it!

The new ACRX header is an easy to install stainless two-piece design, it features equal length 1 ¾ inch primary tubes with a merged collector. It can be supplied with or without hi-flow catalyst and works with the production mufflers.

Attached is a dyno sheet and pictures of the new header. Results were 50rwhp and 54rwtrq (without catalyst). Besides the impressive power numbers, the price will surprise you.

ACRX Headers with high flow cats $2495.00
ACRX Headers with turnouts $2335.00

We are taking orders now and should be able to start shipping in about 1 week!

Note: This system is for “off road use” only.

You must be registered for see images attach

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a stock 2008 Viper need the hi performance computer with these headers ? Ie Check engine light ...I have a K N Air Filter in the car now and it runs great with no light.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 Corvette ZR1

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Belanger header is a tri-y design and these are a 5 into one design. These headers are tuned for the higher rpm range of the new engine where-as the tri-y is tuned for best average hp.

For those with highly modified Gen 2's and 3's, we carry these headers for your car as well.

Like all headers with high flow cats on the new Viper, it will most likely set a cataylst code and turn on the light eventually. It will not put the car into "limp mode". The Mopar controller will correct this.

For those that want the ultimate power for the track or club racing, this header with the Mopar controller is a great option.

For those not interested in headers, we have side exhaust that will improve the sound of your car and give some midrange power. Belanger makes these for us.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see this all worked out. A lot of effort was put into this product and I beleive that the straight up after market vendors add to the value and fun of owning a Viper.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan,

How 'bout a HP increase number if we opt for the high flow cats?

Still around 50?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple questions:

When you ran with the headers, how come you only ran to about 6k RPMs? It looks like you went right up to the redline without the headers. It almost looks like you were running the Mopar PCM without the headers, and then went with a stock PCM with the headers (which wouldn't make much sense to me, but I don't know much...).

When you say 'easy to install' does that mean easy enough to install/uninstall that I could do these in a few hours? The reason I ask is I'm going to have to worry about smogging the car one of these days, and if it's just a matter of a few hours work to get the car back to 'visual inspection ready' status, these headers might be a good choice... Otherwise, I keep praying to the header gods out there that someone will come out with a good 50-state legal system...

Even though these headers are tuned for high RPMs, they look like they do a darn good job throughout the powerband. I like what I see...

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, do you have Gen 3 HP dyno numbers as well? I would be interested in Gen3 numbers and I am sure lots of folks from Gen 3 crowed will agree with me. Specially HP numbers with the high flow cats.

Reaction score
I would also like to see side by side comparisons to the Belanger headers to see where the gains are. My car picked up 87 crank HP with the PCM and the Belangers. These are definitely cheaper though and do they sound better than the Belanger set up or about the same?

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We will be doing a test with cats soon, American Racing thinks that the cats will only drop the power 3-4 hp. I think it will be more. The tests were done with the stock PCM. Both the Belanger and ACRX headers were engine dyno tested and the ACRX made more power, this is without cats.

They are simple to install with the two section design, but expect to spend about 6 hours changing them out.

Anyone like to make an order and post results?

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, do you have Gen 3 HP dyno numbers as well? I would be interested in Gen3 numbers and I am sure lots of folks from Gen 3 crowed will agree with me. Specially HP numbers with the high flow cats.

I put the stepped American racing headers on my 06 along with the high flow cats and a tune by Roe racing and picked up 59 HP and 83 TQ at the wheeel. By the way these headers are for sale check out the classifieds.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see what these headers can do on a Gen IV with the Mopar PCM and extend the dyno run to 6300RPM. Do they come with any type of ceramic coating like the Balengers?

Are these headers 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see what these headers can do on a Gen IV with the Mopar PCM and extend the dyno run to 6300RPM. Do they come with any type of ceramic coating like the Balengers?

Are these headers 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"?

1 3/4" for Gen 4 and no Ceramic coat, thin walled 304 Stainless (lighter than Belangers)

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
=BAD BOYZZ SERIES= Gen 4 Race Headers
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks DC Performance for the kind words!

It's a proud moment for my Company BAD BOYZZ GARAGE. I'd say it's a team effort from Nick Fillipedes of American Racing Headers Inc. for believing in me & SRT for taking a member of it's Viper Nation serious when it comes to our passion in the Viper, for the Next Generation of Performance Products.

The All New Gen 4 Race Header is a piece to be proud of. Nick nailed it and I know we all will benefit from the results!

American Racing Headers Inc. was gracious enough to name the Gen 4 Race Headers =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= , in recognition of my company's involvement. This is a great new product edition to add to my =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= Performance Products & Apparel Line!!

Only in America!!

See ya at the Track!!

Last edited:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the header you are speaking of above (Gen4 ACRX header) and the Gen3 one you mentioned below?

Got a 521 motor 10.5:1 with Greg Good Premium heads 2.080" and cam and all the other goodies in production now! Goal... to easily break 650rwhp.

For those with highly modified Gen 2's and 3's, we carry these headers for your car as well.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same Collector!! Different Exhaust Flange & Primary Tubes because of different Head Configurations between Gen 4 - 3 - 2. The Gen 3 is also ready to run the straight thru 1 3/4" design, but I reccomned only on modified Viper Engines ( ie high compression / big valves / higher lift camshafts with longer durations )!! FYI

We made on the engine dyno 551hp & 576tq on on stock fresh Gen 3 Viper Engine with no cats! The engine was broken in for approximately 2 hours, turned off & on to seat & heat cycle components before we cracked the throttle wide open! We used the Gen 3 Stepped Header System 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" to 5 into 1 Race Merge 3" collector straight up!! The Straight thru design of 1 3/4" made the same numbers but sacraficed a few HP & Trq numbers along the way.

Last edited:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I am trying to understand is American Racing making an ACRX header as these for guys with a highly modded gen3 motir or is Dan refering to the same Gen3 American Racing 1 3/4" header that is already in production?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I sell these headers for Gen 2-3 and 4 Vipers. They come in a stepped tube design and a single tube diameter design. On our Gen 2 and 3 engine builds with cam changes we have had the best peak numbers with these headers. On a stock engine both these and the Belangers seem to work just as well. We use the step headers for the NA cars and the fixed large tube headers on the SC models.

If you are planning an engine build, I can provide you with the camshaft, cylinder head and header combination that will best suit your needs.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer a couple of questions posed...this is not a 'few hour' DIY install, and you have to lift the motor to get the OEM manifolds off the car. As for sound, both cars were at Sebring, the Belanger race exhaust has a lower end throaty growl and is louder throughout the RPM range. If you want less noise, then the ACR-X system is for you, it sounds a lot more like the stock exhaust at lower RPMs. (The first time it rolled by me, I thought it had a stock exhaust and was surprised.) I have Belanger/Mopar dyno charts and I think they are posted somewhere already.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can answer a couple of questions posed...this is not a 'few hour' DIY install, and you have to lift the motor to get the OEM manifolds off the car. As for sound, both cars were at Sebring, the Belanger race exhaust has a lower end throaty growl and is louder throughout the RPM range. If you want less noise, then the ACR-X system is for you, it sounds a lot more like the stock exhaust at lower RPMs. (The first time it rolled by me, I thought it had a stock exhaust and was surprised.) I have Belanger/Mopar dyno charts and I think they are posted somewhere already.

Unless something is that differnent than a GEN 3. There was no motor lifting when I did my headers, and it took me less than 5 hours to complete the job. The only snag I had was a cross threaded O2 sensor from the factory, the dealer had one in stock so no problem.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idk about Gen III, but the passenger side of the Gen IV exhaust has a big round section that simply would not slide out (between the motor and frame) without lifting the motor of my car about an inch. I might have been able to take a torch to it or cutter of some kind, but I wanted to preserve the system for possible future re-installation. Being hand built cars, maybe some have clearance and some don't but be prepared to lift the motor if you do the install yourself.

NASTY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to the guys at American Racing headers first of all for proving to chrysler llc and the guys at arrow racing that they really are the superior header and the only header that belongs on the viper acr-x.If chrysler racing and arrow racing say its so then im sold thanks guys:2tu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets