Gen 5 Forged Rods, Pistons and Crank strength and durability?

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Have any of the builders/fabricators or tuners here attempted to find the limits of the Gen V OEM bottom-end?

I'm thinking about picking up a new Gen V and fabbing up twins on it like I did on my C6Z (and many other cars) and I'm trying to figure out if I should plan to just go ahead and replace the rods and pistons immediately or if the internals will survive 1000 RWHP (under boost conditions not Nitrous!!).

I'm hopeful I can fab up the kit (with some 70mm turbos), work out the kinks, enjoy the car (read: LEARN the car) at 1000 RWHP, then build the bottom-end and then turn the boost up (I'd like to land around 1400 RWHP when the motor is complete)... So, I'm just curious if any of the big names lurk or post here and would be willing to share their *EXPERIENCE* on how much power the OEM bottom end can handle before she slings a rod or puts a hole in a piston....?

(I fully understand fuel systems, E85 conversions, drive train weakness/points of failure, cams et cetera... I'm looking for someone with experience to speak specifically to Gen V OEM bottom-end limitations)

Thanks!!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a tuner, but the biggest issue for adding boost to the Gen V is getting control over the computer. Until we can get the electronics figured out, it will be difficult to crank in the boost. Always takes a while when a new, more complicated computer is released.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

Thanks for the info. I'm not terribly worried about the computer. This is actually something I can do pretty easily (I've been a [boosted applications] tuner for many years and have worked on a lot of custom stuff over the years that I helped develop).

After reading and doing a bit more research on the Gen V platform it seems like no one really knows the answer to my question. The few Gen V TT builds I've found online - they went ahead and built the bottom-end.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody has boosted a stock engine yet. The pistons are forged material, but not a design intended for high boost. I believe they are ACR-X pistons, and do not have the thick top ring land like a boosted piston would have. Seeing that the inferior Gen 3 internals handle 700 rwhp no prob, I would think 900 is reasonable to achieve on a Gen 5. I think the main challenge is being able to get all the digital dash gauges and body control module to play nicely with any aftermarket ECM.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine Ball and Viper Smith,

Thanks so much! Yes, I've been hard pressed to find much out about the actual forged components - so thank you for the piston detail.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the Gen 5 OEM setup MAF or SD? If MAF, do you know where it maxes out?

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RSI does have a stock motor one boosted but they did not bring it up to 1000

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the Gen 5 OEM setup MAF or SD? If MAF, do you know where it maxes out?

MAF, unfortunately. Computer is also limited due to MAP sensor range. I love how easy my Gen 3 is to mod, but I still like my Gen 5 better as a whole.

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mdc and Nine Ball, thanks for all the info!

Nine Ball, are you the same Nine Ball that's been around for many many years and I know from the other forums?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mdc and Nine Ball, thanks for all the info!

Nine Ball, are you the same Nine Ball that's been around for many many years and I know from the other forums?

Same guy. I created LS1tech.com back in 2001, and also frequent the other GM sites.

Tony

OP
OP
D

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Good to see you again, thanks again for the info! I'm looking at a couple of 2014 GTSs tomorrow.

Edward E. Traylor, III

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery