Gen 5 Viper value retention after 2017 brand discontinuing

lotus425

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently in the market for a $100,000 fun sports car. My plan is to buy used and swap car every 3 years with minimal loss on depreciation to keep the car hobby fun and financially sensible. The Gen 5 viper has been my top choice followed by Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 997 GT3, Audi R8, corvette Z06, Lotus Evora and Nissan GTR. Among the list of choices, seems like the 997GT3 and Nissan GTR retains value the best in the used car market.
Viper's value, performance and exclusivity is hard to beat. However the news about the Dodge brand discontinuing the Viper model after 2017 over an air bag design issue concerns me regarding the used car value of Gen 5 viper after 3 years of ownership.
Will the Gen 5 viper become an ultimate collector item due to its rarity, racetrack performance record, and retain its value after 2017? Will the used viper market plummet after 2017 like the Hummer brand of H2, H3 SUV due to lack of parts availability and factory support of discontinued models.
What's your thoughts and opinion about long term ownership of Gen5 Viper after its extinction after 2017? The current car is much more complicated than Gen 1/2/3/4 viper with computer and complicated electric systems. Parts availability, lack of service facility and competent independent mechanics concerns me.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First post in the wrong section. I like this guy already.

ViperRT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be a touchy subject... I strongly believe the first and second generation Vipers, have the best chance to be collectible vehicles.... This is due to a few reasons, however I don't foresee the first or second generation really plummeting in value if these cars do not become collectible vehicles in the near future.... if you're worried about depreciation you really should look at it first and second generation Vipers...

Every other Viper has a lot of room for depreciation... Since you are looking at a short-term turn around I would avoid the generation 5 Viper... it has never sold very well "new" and I don't foresee once it's no longer made suddenly increasing in value.. Long term it could be worth a lot of money However short-term I don't see it...

I also don't think you can compare the future values to the Hummer brand.... Hummer was mass produced..