Gen I 1992/early 93 Radiator removal versus late 93 & up & Gen II. Total Insanity!

njsteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to pull the radiator from my January 1993 built Gen 1, that I've owned since new.

Just a heads-up in case anyone out there mistakenly thinks you can pull the radiator from a 1992 or 1993 (with the early style dual fan set up and filler neck) by following the one-hour Gen II procedure. NO WAY!!! It's an 8-hour job on the early cars.

The first two years of production used a fiberglass front bulkhead that holds the radiator in front of it, in the space between the bulkhead and the front fascia. There is NO opening to the rear and the shroud is part of the bulkhead itself. Only the fan motors are removable. The mid-year 1993 with the removable single fan unit and the fender-mounted reservoir, and the newer 94 and 95 (and Gen II) use a front bulkhead that had the radiator mounted behind it facing the engine and a removable fan shroud. On the Gen II you can unhook the rad hoses and the top mounting nut and pull the radiator out in the space between the engine and the bulkhead in a matter of minutes, even with the hood still attached.

On the 1992/93 Gen I, cars you have to remove the hood, remove the hood latches to get the cables out of the way and then remove the entire hinge assembly, which is nearly impossible because 2 of the 3 mounting bolts are underneath the headlight pods, then disconnect and remove the A/C condensor, if so equipped. Because the early cars have that radiator filler cap on the radiator, there is no way to maneuver the radiator the required 5 inches or so to get the inlet and outlet out of their respective holes in the bulkhead while clearing the radiator filler neck around the hinge mounting point. And no, you can't pull the front fascia off to get at the headlight pods because the early 92 and 93 cars used a giant styrofoam reinforcement inside of the fascia that wraps around and over the aluminum crash bar, which wont come out either, when you remove its mounting bolts because the side edges of the front fascia wrap around the inner fenders in a way that will crack the paint and the plastic if you attempt it in anything under 90-degree weather.

So in the end, I used an insane combination of 1/4" and 3/8" drive universal joints, straight and swivel head sockets and some wooden and plastic wedges to pry the headlight pods the extra millimeter or two up, so I could get to the last hinge bolts under the headlight pods.

Just thought you might want to know.

Attachments

• IMG_8455.JPG
    IMG_8455.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8456.JPG
    IMG_8456.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8461.JPG
    IMG_8461.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8460.JPG
    IMG_8460.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
N

njsteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And here's the original radiator. I dropped it off at Fingers Radiator Hospital in North Brunswick, New Jersey this morning. They have been in business for over a century. I had them recore the original radiators my other vintage cars over the past 20 years (70 Cuda, 71 Lincoln, 72 Firebird), and they do amazing work at a reasonable price. https://www.fingersradiator.com/

Attachments

• IMG_8462.JPG
    IMG_8462.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8463.JPG
    IMG_8463.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8464.JPG
    IMG_8464.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8466.JPG
    IMG_8466.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 9

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oof. I have an early 93. I was wondering how different it was because I wouldn't mind getting mine recored eventually. It's good to know, but a shame I can no longer be blissfully ignorant.

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, what you say lines up with what's in the service manual. See attached pages.

Attachments

• radiator_93_Dodge_Viper_SM.pdf
    355.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
N

njsteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post a photo of the fan setup and I can tell you which it is. Does it have the radiator cap on the radiator?

OP
OP
N

njsteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, what you say lines up with what's in the service manual. See attached pages.
LOL. I love how they use generalities like "Move top of radiator until it is clear of radiator support then it can be lifted free from engine compartment". They leave out the part about having to remove every piece of hardware and the A/C system. I have an original first edition service manual from 1992 and several later iterations. The first edition says nothing about A/C. The later editions do but still don't even mention that you need to remove the condensor, either.

Even the Section 23 Body, that it refers to, for removing the hood and hinges says "remove bolts holding hood hinge to upper frame rail" LOL. Nothing about how to get to those bolts underneath the headlight pods.

They are written like the horrible old Chilten manuals..."Engine removal process: Step 1: Unbolt engine, Step 2: Remove engine. Reverse order to replace..."

Last edited:

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post a photo of the fan setup and I can tell you which it is. Does it have the radiator cap on the radiator?
It sure does. But I don't have A/C (f it. I'm in Canada). I have the same rad setup as you. I don't have any problems with my cooling system at the moment (fortunately) and won't get around to it for awhile. My current maintenance/upgrade list is enough for now and next summer. Maybe next year!

1) Spark plugs and wires
2) Rear calliper upgrade
5) Tires (waiting for Michelin to make a new batch)!
3) Autoform hardtop incoming. Must get it painted (probably include rocker panels with that)
4) Take it to a shop to replace some fluids and fuel filter.
5) Replace cats with something high-flow and not 30 years old (I'm *think* it's oem).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala