GEN I Value

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Hickey:

If you buy a Viper, drive it and enjoy it. Then, if you and the snake part ways in a couple of years, you can look at whatever depreciation there is as the cost of driving enjoyment.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said, I will definately drive it. I can't see spending all that mony on a car and not driving it. The Saleen was my daily driver 6 months out of the year then I parked it in the winter. The guy just left with the Saleen and in a way I miss it, but look forward to finding Viper and using this board as a source of information.

-Rick

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I look at the Gen 1 cars like the first years of the Vette. First generation cars should bring a pretty penny down the road if kept as close to mint as possible. The Gen 1 cars are no frills with no side windows, sidepipes, no airbags etc. This kind of stuff collectors will search out in years to come. I can see it now "factory sidepipe car" "still retains side curtains" and so on...

I think I will be taking my Gen 1 to the grave...

OP
OP
R

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy coming from Georgia to get my Saleen should be here in about an hour, so I will soon be looking for a Viper. My question is how well do you think the 94-95 Gen I cars will hold ther value once the new style Viper comes out. I don't want to buy one now and totally lose my butt if I decide to sell it in a year.

Thanks

-Rick

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you buy a 94-95 Gen I right -- low $40's, maybe high $30's -- I don't think you're looking at the car taking a big hit in value when the Gen III's come out. There may be a point in time right after the 2003's debut that the Viper market gets flooded with used Vipers as Viper owners who cannot afford to keep two Vipers try to sell off their older Vipers to make room for a 2003. However, to many people, the Gen I and Gen II Vipers will remain the classic Viper, and, as such, should hold their value in the long run.

If you buy a Viper, drive it and enjoy it. Then, if you and the snake part ways in a couple of years, you can look at whatever depreciation there is as the cost of driving enjoyment.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Gen 1's seem to be holding steady at around $40K (for a low mileage car). Depreciation should be minimal (in my opinion) over the next few years as they surely are a "bargain" 400 HP, unique styled, classic Snake!

My guess, even in 2-3 years, you should still be able to sell between $32-37K if you keep it stock and keep the miles down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21