Gen I wrap around instrument panel plastic - very discolored - paint

Discussion in 'Viper Detailing Tips & Tricks' started by Titan1969, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Titan1969

Titan1969 Enthusiast

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a black '95 that was not well maintained by the owner for 10 years. Appears he did not use the smaller cockpit cover to block UV rays and the plastic that wraps around the gauges across the instrument panel is various colors of grey, brown and yellow :(
    Should I try and find a light grey aerosol paint, scrub, lightly sand and paint this plastic? Or have you done something else I should consider?
    Thanks in advance.
    Great website.

2. ROCKET62

ROCKET62 Has Left the Room!

Might want to search the site for suggestions - and in a nutshell - get ready for some "fun" work. Easy off oven cleaner will work the best to strip off the old stuff. Do not use any sharp objects or sandpapers as you will scratch the plastic. Take your time and it will turn out better than new.

3. Titan1969

Titan1969 Enthusiast

Thanks AZTVR!:headbang:

4. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Looks like a lot of work; but, great payback in self satisfaction if it comes out decent. Post a picture if you do it. Good luck.

5. Bad Brad

Bad Brad Viper Owner

Titan 1969 I have a first Gen, I did the Vinyl wrap first, looked ok , then after awhile it started to lift up on the edges in a few spots, etc, I then took the dash Off, easy 8-10 screws took the dash to have it Hydro Graphics dipped, looks like carbon fiber, can send photos if you write me at
    [email protected] still have difficulties with this site posting photos. anyway looks great , clean , permanent , like carbon fiber, did the door handle plates also to have the whole wrap around effect. You'll love it.

6. ViperJeff

ViperJeff VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ Staff Member

Have you tried using the gallery instead of attachments