Gen1 Cooling-what is Normal

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 96 RT/10, white with blue stripes. 6600 miles only. My question is, from a temperature prospective is my car operating normally? I am in Northern Califonia, so
we do get some hot temps, usually no more than 100 degreed ambient. Normal cruising the temp stays at 190 or maybe goes just a little above to the thick mark right beside the 190. gauge is pretty much still straight up, like 12 o'clock position. When I get on the gas and pull some speed, it moves up toward the thin tick, which is between 190 and 250, I will assume it is around 225. When this happens I usually ease off and the temp will come back down in a few minutes. Is this normal, or do I have a problem? I am a little scared to Rod the car more in case the temp keeps going up...thanks

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fan won't come turn on until the temperature is around 230. Normal driving - I see right around 195. At the track (road racing) the temp will stay near the 230 mark. Stop and go around town 195 - 230, depending on when the fan turns on. If you are concerned about this and want it lower, try upgrading to the 99 fan module. It should lower the top number by 10 deg or so.

rhansenjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 is similar. 190 most of the time, will go to 220 at idle when not moving. Fan comes on and brings it back to 190.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I also live in Northern Calif. and I have a 95 that I spend quite a bit of time at the track with. These cars do run hot and the best thing you can do is add the late model fan, very easy to install and avaliable from Jon B. at the parts rack. Also get the bleeders, they are a big help. Another thing that I did was to cut out the left side hood speaker hole and vent the molding that goes around the windshield. This dropped the temps. by at least 10 degrees. it lets a lot more air circulate around the motor. E-mail me if you want some pictures. Where are you located?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten