Gen3 Paxton -vs- TT

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about an upgrade for my '06 Coupe.

Purchased new from Woodhouse with Paxton, Corsa, Quaiffe w/ 3.55 gears, I've basically done nothing to the car in 20k miles of troublefree driving but change the oil and add gas. I don't really beat on the car, and probably drive it tamer than most.

Any difference in durability and reliability between let's say a UGR (or other) TT 93 tune ~1000 RWHP motor and a DLM (or other) Paxton doing like 925 RWHP?

I would imagine the motor build would be similar with the same forged internals, good fasteners, heads, fuel system, etc. Anyone running one of these combos that's 100% reliable?

I would hate to look back and wish I hadn't taken the next step.

Thanks

Last edited:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had heard that both are reliable. Both of those shops are top notch and will do a hell of a job. I know the UR cars have been very reliable because they are built right. If I were you; and money is no object, I would go with a UR TT package. Turbos are less strain on the motor and at that power level, nothing is going to compare with them. Another thing to think about. If you decide that 1000 HP is to much or, you want even more power, all you would have to do is turn up or down the boost (as long as the turbos can support north of 1K). You can get a few tunes for certain boost levels. A buddy of mine had a 99 GTS TT that he could turn down to a very "mild" 750 RWHP (I believe that was the number). He could also turn it to 1200 as well LOL. Good luck.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hate to look back and wish I hadn't taken the next step. Thanks
There is a reason why so many 1000 RWHP Turbo builds end up for sale shortly after they are completed. You really have to know if that is the path you wanna travel. Like anything else, higher levels of power go hand in hand with higher costs to build, higher chances of parts breaking and higher chances of you being scared of the vehicle you just built. Many times, owners have posted their fear of the go pedal. It's not comforting to break tires loose at 120 MPH in 5th gear. If your happy with your current setup and still feel comfortable with the power output, you should continue with being happy. If not, there is room in your current setup to boost your current number without making it scary! :2tu:

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I purchased my 06 TT with an AEM system & Greddy Boost Controller with low & High settings. The car is a real Blast to drive & very streetable. The low setting is enough power to shock most inexperienced drivers. You absolutely need good tires. Built by RSI. Scary is fun @ times, & Hell you can Always drive slow. And you won't forget the rush when those Turbo's are spooling up.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have the paxton on the car why not build the engine and turn it up. If you want more then sell the paxton and you are ready for the TT. I have a 1002rwhp A&C Performance Paxton SRT and I am just finishing a TT SRT. I will let you know which one I like better:)

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing compares to turbos. You can always go slow, nut there is a limit to how fast you can go unless you have turbos. Another poster was right, a turbo can scare the hell out of you if you haven't been in something like that before. Both of mine make north of 1500. On the street i can drive on 12lbs. If i want to do higher gear pulls I can do 17. At 17 you have to be very careful with the throttle, you can't punch it. It has to be very controlled. Jesus it is a rush though.

I beat the **** out of my blue gts and have had zero issues. Both cars done by underground.

Seb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a good boost controller on there that brings the power in progressively IM sure the car will be much more ( controlled ).

Turbos are less of a load on the engine and offer free power as opposed to a blower which takes drive energy to turn. Turbos are often intercooled as well which offer much more of a dense intake charge creating more power per pound of boost over a blower.

Taming a turbo viper comes down to power management. Have the right power management and everything becomes alot more forgiving.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love my paxton but if i could have afforded a TT at the time, id have gone that route for sure. IMO you cant compare the 2.

like said above, you can always turn the power down on a TT.

Seb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do it on a centrifical blower as well. Introduce a wastegate on the charge pipe and put a 4 psi spring in it. When it makes 4 psi the gate will open and discharge to atmosphere. We do it all the time. You then can use the controls to progressively close the gate putting more of the charge back into the engine.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had a twin turbo tested however over the years have had numerious supercharged Vipers tested by Mcmullen Argus Publication guys (Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford ,Gm Hi-Tech ,Super Chevy ECT ).It all comes down to your intended use of the car .If you intend to hot lap them on very warm days constantly bumping the rev limiter i would STRONGLY suggest you explore other options .

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like your perfectly happy with what you have, and you don't really don't use it. Why change?

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with Mystic.

This is my Viper. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my Viper is useless. Without my Viper, I am useless. I must drive my Viper true. I must drive faster and straighter than the other guy who is trying to drive faster than me. I must go faster than him before he goes faster than me. I will. My Viper and I know that what counts in racing is not the bolt on horsepower we buy, the noise of our exhaust, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the driving skills that count. My Viper is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its gauges and its engine. I will keep my Viper clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

If money is no option, go for it, Mad Max 130MPH burnouts with 1700RWHP and twin turbos screaming are bad ***.

If not, spend the money on professional driving lessons and learn how to use what you have to the fullest.

Looking cool, smokey donuts in Publix parking lot, 145MPH+ merge onto I-95, occasional holeshots off a red light against the 45 year old dentist with his gold chains and Corvette... stock is probably fine.

Spend some time driving the car like you stole it (please on a closed road track)taking full advantage of the stock HP.

Upgrades on these things cost a lot and as this forum has stated time and time again, "what are your plans for the car"? I got the S_H_T kicked out of me by an old Jeep Cherokee sleeper with Twin Turbos off a red light and also a modified Subaru WRX. Is that enough to drop the car off for $20K+ on upgrades, Nahhh.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you already have 3.55's go with the Paxton. If you go TT you'll have to swap back to 3.07's

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like twin turbo's. Just sell your car and buy my gts. You couldn't build it for half what it will sell for