Gen3 Replacement amplifier - few questions...

BlackViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated. I was trying not to start up yet another thread about stereos, but I searched and couldn't find the answer to what I thought were some basic questions replacing the OEM amp in a Gen3. I'm looking to replace the stock amp with a better one. I've already replaced the speakers and put in an RB1 radio but it still seems the stereo system is not as good as it could be. I've read the OEM amp is not all that good. So, I'd like to take out the old amp and put a new one back under the passenger seat. Those of you that have done that, what amp did you use? Also were you able to easily wire it into the existing system? Is there a pre-made harness I should buy? Again, sorry if this has been covered already and I missed it in my searches, but if you have some experience with this mod or can post some links I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :drive:

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive not found much stereo advice here at all. I would go aftermarket like Kicker or another name brand multichannel depending on how many speakers you have. As far as wiring to the existing harness, this might work, and give you RCA outs http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Rad...ash=item5420bbdbce:g:~GcAAOSweW5VGtzS&vxp=mtr.

I plan on using my Kicker 550.3 regardless of what Viper i get, because its a rare amp and will work nicely with some rare stuff ive collected over the years from their better quality days :)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think you'd have a hard time finding a "direct" replacement for the stock setup. The factory amp is 7 channel and includes all the crossovers and signal processing within it for the 7 speakers in the system (tweeters in dash, woofers in doors, mid range behind the seats, and sub inbetween the seats). You could probably get by with a 5 channel setup and external crossovers if you want to keep all the speakers, but you're already starting to get away from "plug and play" pretty quick at that point.

Currently I just run a 4 channel (configured as a 3 channel, two bridged to power sub) with external crossovers and no speakers behind the seats/headrests (car didn't have them when I bought it). Kicker speakers all the way around because they were about the only ones I could find that fit in the stock locations with little to no modification. Sounds pretty good with the engine off, but the bottom end falls out with my exhaust pretty quick. I've never quite understood why people knock the stock system so much as my dad has an 03 that's completely stock and it sounds better than all the work I've put into my aftermarket system. Granted my car was butchered to start with, so it still sounds better now than when I bought it, but I'm almost debated trying to hunt down stock components as I think they seem to work well together.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant hard finding an aftermarket 7 channel, not a factory one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth