Gen3 with factory Sirius adding RB1 and iPod

CuHead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Gen3 with the factory sirius installed. It works great with the factory head unit. I decided to add a MOPAR iPod adapter and upgrade to the MOPAR RB1. I have run into some problems and have tried various combinations to help troubleshoot. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong?

Combo 1) Factory Head + Factory Sirius: This is as purchased, and everything works great.

Combo 2) Factory Head + Factory Sirius + iPod: The ipod adapter says to connect the provided cable from the head unit to the ipod adapter, and then connect the ipod adapter to the original factory harness going to the Sirius unit. After doing this, the factory head "Mode" switch cycles through AM, FM, CD, etc. But when it gets to Satellite, it looks like I am getting a mix of satellite and ipod. The display keeps alternating between "Sirius" and the ipod song name. The sound I hear is ipod only.

Combo 3) RB1 + Factory Sirius + iPod: Same behavior when selecting the AUX. The Sirius channel number and the ipod track number keep alternating. I do hear just the iPod playing.

Combo 4) RB1 + Factory Sirius: Selecting AUX gives you Sirius music, channel number is stable, but no artist or song name.

Combo 5) RB1 + iPod: Selecting AUX gives you iPod music, track number is stable, and get all artist and song information.

With just the RB1 and the factory Sirius, has anybody else seen the artist and song information on the display?

Combo 2 and Combo 3 I think rules out the head unit. Both head units exhibit the same alternating ipod/Sirius response.

My understanding is that the iPod adapter is supposed to multiplex between the Ipod and the Sirius. One forum said it is strange how they do it. You would think that you should hit AUX more than once and it would cycle. But from other forums, they have said that you hit AUX and get iPod. To switch you must hit AM/FM and then AUX, and it will toggle to Sirius. Anybody else have RB1 with factory Sirius and ipod to confirm this?