GenV (possibly Gen3/4?) racing brakes, who wants them?

Reaction score
Feeler...

If there were a kick butt 6 piston 2 piece front 15" rotor set up with a re sized 4 piston 2 piece 14" rotor racing brake system that was designed specifically for the Gen5 Viper, S.S. lines and race pads, (possibly retrofit to the Gen3/4 based on wheel selection), how many of you would be willing to spend the money (approx. $6500?) for a dedicated race brake upgrade? Oh and yes the color would be exclusive to the Viper!

Poll in the Modifications section.

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on a 1-10 scale I'm at an 8. Who would be the manufacturer? Would they be carbon ceramic?

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
on a 1-10 scale I'm at an 8. Who would be the manufacturer? Would they be carbon ceramic?

Here is some of the reasons why they are not interested in doing carbon systems;

There are several problems with Carbon that I have heard from brake manufacturers:

First – most OE applications you see out there are carbon ceramic. They require a much larger caliper and pad area. Most cars run 19” front and 20” rear to accommodate them.

Second – In race conditions (or track conditions), you can exceed the max rotor temperatures and expose the rotors to oxidation. The rotor life is killed and the cost of replacement parts is not acceptable to wealthy owners. (Porsche GT# guys are changing to two piece iron rotors for their track cars).

If it was just pure racing, we could go to carbon/carbon rotors/pads. This is different since both are consumables and the entire system/car can be designed to realize the desired results. The cost to run is very high and wouldn’t work for a street/track application.

I’m of the opinion most car companies offer CCM’s to get weight out of the car, but for real track day enthusiasts, it winds up costing much more to maintain and the benefit is not as great as you would expect.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some of the reasons why they are not interested in doing carbon systems;

There are several problems with Carbon that I have heard from brake manufacturers:

First – most OE applications you see out there are carbon ceramic. They require a much larger caliper and pad area. Most cars run 19” front and 20” rear to accommodate them.

Second – In race conditions (or track conditions), you can exceed the max rotor temperatures and expose the rotors to oxidation. The rotor life is killed and the cost of replacement parts is not acceptable to wealthy owners. (Porsche GT# guys are changing to two piece iron rotors for their track cars).

If it was just pure racing, we could go to carbon/carbon rotors/pads. This is different since both are consumables and the entire system/car can be designed to realize the desired results. The cost to run is very high and wouldn’t work for a street/track application.

I’m of the opinion most car companies offer CCM’s to get weight out of the car, but for real track day enthusiasts, it winds up costing much more to maintain and the benefit is not as great as you would expect.

Agree with Mark 100%. I overheated the PCCB in my 996 GT3 and the rotor even changed color and had a dark tint to it. Then it developed hairline cracks between the holes of the rotor and a few cracks spanned across 3 holes. And one has to be careful in changing wheels at the track as the disks are so fragile and brittle, any contact with a heavy wheel or torque wrench could chip off or crack the rotor. And since the disks don't dissipate heat as good as steel rotors, more heat is retained in the caliper and the rest of the braking system and would boil the brake fluid much sooner. I was looking at over $10K to replace them so I traded the car in to get rid of my problem.