Getting Near the 10's in my mildy modified 06 Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe I am about to say this but Twister, at least you try to work on your driving skills. 1bad chooses to watch from the bleachers.

And 1bad by your rational there can only be 1 pro street tire drag racer. Even in pro sports like you keep mentioning there's more than 1 QB on a team and there's more than one team. So there should be atleast 60 people around the country at the "pro" level.

What about this.

A full Bolton gen 3 Viper should walk a c6 z06. There are at least two stock z06's in the 10's. I believe one drag radials and the other on a street tire.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed watch the vid of 400's pass in the low 9's on a nitto invo. For that matter watch SW manually shift his Supra into the 7's. Those guys can drive.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try these "Bolt-ons"
Quaffe
Motons

gut the car to the bone.
4.11 gear.
ported intake mani

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A 128 mph trap speed should easily get you in the 10s smith ran that in a horrible DA in my Gen 4 BUT didnt get 10s .Many(including Jamie Furman )will tell you a Gen 2 hooks just the same if not better than a Gen 4 .Yea there a ton of 11.2 so what thats not a 10 second run.My Gen 2 must have run 11.3 -11.2 twenty times

I believe there are some less than 11.2 but my point is you are saying that it is all about driver and that Smith walks on water and yet a bunch of hobby drivers are running a better number (granted it is not a 10) than Smith both in your GTS with MORE power and in a Gen IV. This directly contradicts your theory.

I am curious as to the best 60 foot Smith got out of your Gen II in his passes. Pass that on if you remember. Will help in some of the other comparisons and calculations I am making in figuring what I will need for 10.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe I am about to say this but Twister, at least you try to work on your driving skills. 1bad chooses to watch from the bleachers.

And 1bad by your rational there can only be 1 pro street tire drag racer. Even in pro sports like you keep mentioning there's more than 1 QB on a team and there's more than one team. So there should be atleast 60 people around the country at the "pro" level.

What about this.

A full Bolton gen 3 Viper should walk a c6 z06. There are at least two stock z06's in the 10's. I believe one drag radials and the other on a street tire.

stock weight and 500 rwhp will walk a stock z06 easily..how in the hell the z06 is claimed to run 10's is beyond me....

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there are some less than 11.2 but my point is you are saying that it is all about driver and that Smith walks on water and yet a bunch of hobby drivers are running a better number (granted it is not a 10) than Smith both in your GTS with MORE power and in a Gen IV. This directly contradicts your theory.

I am curious as to the best 60 foot Smith got out of your Gen II in his passes. Pass that on if you remember. Will help in some of the other comparisons and calculations I am making in figuring what I will need for 10.
I too have seen hobby drivers run a better number the differencet the diffeence being EVERY run he makes is within a tenth of each other (hobby drivers ALL OVER THE BOARD and hobby drivers have so much more SEAT IME (its their car ).He ran an 11.3 in a Gen 4 after 4 passes (never so much as sat in the car )i want to see a hobby driver do that.As far as 60 foot times a bad sixty for him is 1.8

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we want to learn something about drag racing, we would probably listen to 1fast400, who owned a race track, has several cars including two TT Viper's both making 1000++++whp, and races them often (with street tires). Not someone who merely relays information. The funny thing is, Evan Smith probably told you the whole 10 second statement, not knowing you would EVER blow it out of proportion this far.

Read more of 1fast400's posts, and post less :2tu:
I dont think you wquite understand GOOGLE RACEWAY PARK in Englishtown NJ (its not a racetrack its THE YANKEE STADIUM of RACETRACKS )Five hundred thousand people go thru there a year thats right 500000.00 .Everything possible is there .If you dont believe what he told me (step up )email me your phone number and i will conference call you with him we talk daily .Then you can report it.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one has answered MY QUESTION.John Coletti ,former head of SVT (FATHER OF THE FGT )could have had ANY DRIVER IN THE UNITED STATES drag test the prototype FGT.Why would he choose Smith and in doing so spend over 100k to do the test .The same is to be asked for Shelby Amewrican .

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen someone with such a strong man crush before. 1Bad, just stop. Everyone knows you're in love with this guy and think he's the best. Englishtown is a great track, I've been there many times, it is NOT the yankee stadium of racetracks. It has killed 2 people in the past few years. Not that it is something they can help, as they can't extend the track, but it still happened. There are quite a few tracks known for producing records. So please get off the jock of this driver you love and the track you love.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me give you guys the test parameters there were no concrete runways available also Coletti could get not ahold of Twister to use his vericom on a public road so Ford Svt had to slum it and move some of their operation a thousand miles to Englishtown. Nine Ball was also unavailable (drilling wells )_to drive so for some strange reason Coletti settled for Evan. The parameters of the test were to measure overall drive strenthy in a drag strip application and TO SEE THE FEASABILITY OF RUNNING 10S ON STOCK TIRES (in corelation with various boost and timing levels ).Cioleet had a thing for Vipers (had me call VCA PRES Joe Houss to come down but Joe couldnt make it )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen someone with such a strong man crush before. 1Bad, just stop. Everyone knows you're in love with this guy and think he's the best. Englishtown is a great track, I've been there many times, it is NOT the yankee stadium of racetracks. It has killed 2 people in the past few years. Not that it is something they can help, as they can't extend the track, but it still happened. There are quite a few tracks known for producing records. So please get off the jock of this driver you love and the track you love.
Its not what is then LOL

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pS IF ITS NOT why would you travel thousands of miles to race there.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People travel 1000's of miles to race at drag strips all over the country. Just look at where nhra teams set records, englishtown isn't it. Once again, not saying it isn't a good track by any means, but quit acting like it's the end all be all of tracks.

Just curious, how many drag strips have you ACTUALLY been to? Between my father, my brother and myself, it's over 200. Is this another case of someone you know went to another track and told you so it must be true?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Twister, stop being so cheap and get a membership so you can post in the members area. That way, when I read a drag racing thread, I don't have to wade through all of the comments by Furmans girlfriend.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People travel 1000's of miles to race at drag strips all over the country. Just look at where nhra teams set records, englishtown isn't it. Once again, not saying it isn't a good track by any means, but quit acting like it's the end all be all of tracks.

Just curious, how many drag strips have you ACTUALLY been to? Between my father, my brother and myself, it's over 200. Is this another case of someone you know went to another track and told you so it must be true?
So you have owned a track KINDLY answer two questions .Why would Coletti chose Smith to test FGT Prototypes and what is the parameter of a track to hold a MAJOR NHRA EVENT (E-TOWN hosts one of the BIGGEST NHRA EVENTS of the year .)Also list the tracks in the US that do 500K people a year CLOSING FOR THE WINTER.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you have owned a track KINDLY answer two questions .Why would Coletti chose Smith to test FGT Prototypes and what is the parameter of a track to hold a MAJOR NHRA EVENT (E-TOWN hosts one of the BIGGEST NHRA EVENTS of the year .)Also list the tracks in the US that do 500K people a year CLOSING FOR THE WINTER.

(edited my response as I was incorrect on ownership).

As far as why someone choose a certain driver, I have no clue, nor do I care. Just because someone choose someone doesn't mean they are the best. There is no way to prove that someone is the best, just that some are very good.

It does 500k a year in people because of the population around it. Not a hard one there. The track I owned turned 100k people a year through the gates and that's for a small 1/8th mile track in the sticks that cost 1/100th of that place. So 500k a year really isn't an impressive number. Royce at MIR likely does more.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a beginning drag racer. I don't hold any records. I can promise you that any times posted (example, 10 second runs) are moot if you're trying to say X driver is better than Y driver, etc.

The only way to tell who's the best driver is to have them race on the same track at the same time sharing driving duties. And then the "fastest" driver is only fastest on that track, that day. Most of the "fast" runs are done at East coast tracks that are privately rented. I've learned a little from going to Infineon...track prep, head winds, DA, tracks that run uphill, etc. You just can't compare anyones 10 second Viper or Z06 run at one track versus another, period.

Like I said before, I'm just learning but I'd bet that the NHRA has a specific setup they feel is optimal for track prep. Are the private rentals prepped in a repeatable fashion or are they extra "sticky"?? Maybe more Vipers could run 10's if the track was prepped to be extra sticky? :dunno: If the track was prepped to be super sticky, then wouldn't that be nearly equivalent to drag radials and make "stock" runs not really stock in the sense that they are not repeatable under normal drag racing conditions?

Being able to get right back into line with a semi hot engine might also be a factor in more hp (until the motor heat soaks), hotter & stickier stock tires, etc....I haven't been able to to that during NHRA bracket racing. Usually have at least 20 minutes between rounds until the very end when you get to the semi's or finals.

Most of the "fast" runs I've seen on video have the driver staging and leaving when he's good and ready, not concerned with leaving on the light...a little different than trying to cut a good light and get a good launch.

So, from what I've seen there are a lot of factors as to how fast a car should run and can run. The driver makes a huge difference in car to car racing, but it's a lot closer if you're just trying to get a good ET without all the other factors (cutting a good light, specific track prep, times between each run, etc)

Cheers,
George

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track is owned by NHRA (if I'm not mistaken), that's the only reason it holds an event. Otherwise they wouldn't still be running at a track that killed two pro drivers due to lack of shutdown.

As far as why someone choose a certain driver, I have no clue, nor do I care. Just because someone choose someone doesn't mean they are the best. There is no way to prove that someone is the best, just that some are very good.

It does 500k a year in people because of the population around it. Not a hard one there. The track I owned turned 100k people a year through the gates and that's for a small 1/8th mile track in the sticks that cost 1/100th of that place. So 500k a year really isn't an impressive number. Royce at MIR likely does more.
Wrong on every answer .First of all the NAPP family owns E-Town, secondly strict qualifications must be met in order to host a major NHRA event (only what 15 or so are held per year -only the finest tracks in the country allowed to hold them ).Five hundred K a YEAR through the door makes in in the top 5-10 tracks in the country (you owned a racetrack )hell the Yankees barely draw 2 million.As far as Coletti ( if know who he is )he personally choose Smith because in his own words to me hes probably the best drag racer there is on stock tires.Think now if a DRIVER WAS NOT EVERYTHING and E-Town was not a great place to test why would Ford spend over 100 k to run a test of a prototype (paremeters are to see if a 10 second run is feasable on street tires)1000 miles from home using Smith as the driver.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a beginning drag racer. I don't hold any records. I can promise you that any times posted (example, 10 second runs) are moot if you're trying to say X driver is better than Y driver, etc.

The only way to tell who's the best driver is to have them race on the same track at the same time sharing driving duties. And then the "fastest" driver is only fastest on that track, that day. Most of the "fast" runs are done at East coast tracks that are privately rented. I've learned a little from going to Infineon...track prep, head winds, DA, tracks that run uphill, etc. You just can't compare anyones 10 second Viper or Z06 run at one track versus another, period.

Like I said before, I'm just learning but I'd bet that the NHRA has a specific setup they feel is optimal for track prep. Are the private rentals prepped in a repeatable fashion or are they extra "sticky"?? Maybe more Vipers could run 10's if the track was prepped to be extra sticky? :dunno: If the track was prepped to be super sticky, then wouldn't that be nearly equivalent to drag radials and make "stock" runs not really stock in the sense that they are not repeatable under normal drag racing conditions?

Being able to get right back into line with a semi hot engine might also be a factor in more hp (until the motor heat soaks), hotter & stickier stock tires, etc....I haven't been able to to that during NHRA bracket racing. Usually have at least 20 minutes between rounds until the very end when you get to the semi's or finals.

Most of the "fast" runs I've seen on video have the driver staging and leaving when he's good and ready, not concerned with leaving on the light...a little different than trying to cut a good light and get a good launch.

So, from what I've seen there are a lot of factors as to how fast a car should run and can run. The driver makes a huge difference in car to car racing, but it's a lot closer if you're just trying to get a good ET without all the other factors (cutting a good light, specific track prep, times between each run, etc)

Cheers,
George
Very true thats the reason we have records for these cars.Interestingly enough 2 guys hold or are in the top 5 of every single American Supercar run down the quarter mile .( Zr-1 ,Z06 Every Gen of Viper and FGT.)

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong on every answer .First of all the NAPP family owns E-Town

Which is why I quickly edited my post as I was wrong on that.

secondly strict qualifications must be met in order to host a major NHRA event (only what 15 or so are held per year -only the finest tracks in the country allowed to hold them )

Countless tracks are nhra certified. The only reason people even get sanctioned is insurance. Tracks are chosen based on population in the surrounding area. Englishtown as a huge ability to draw due to its location. The bellagio of tracks is Zmax, in my backyard. Money bought it's place and novelty. If you think tracks are chosen based on quality of track vs logistics, you understand nothing about business 101.

Five hundred K a YEAR through the door makes in in the top 5-10 tracks in the country (you owned a racetrack )hell the Yankees barely draw 2 million.As far as Coletti ( if know who he is )he personally choose Smith because in his own words to me hes probably the best drag racer there is on stock tires.Think now if a DRIVER WAS NOT EVERYTHING and E-Town was not a great place to test why would Ford spend over 100 k to run a test of a prototype (paremeters are to see if a 10 second run is feasable on street tires)1000 miles from home using Smith as the driver.

I can run 8's on a nitto invo, does that make me the best street tire driver in the world? NO, it doesn't. It makes me a guy with a good setup. I can't speak to why someone tested where they did. People would be testing in florida and texas if records were the SOLE purpose of a test. I had countless people rent my track for testing. Why did they do it? Because we were close to them. I had plenty of nascar drivers test cars, yes nascar guys doing drag racing, at my track. Only because we'd guaranteed everything closed off with no video or pictures.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is why I quickly edited my post as I was wrong on that.

Countless tracks are nhra certified. The only reason people even get sanctioned is insurance. Tracks are chosen based on population in the surrounding area. Englishtown as a huge ability to draw due to its location. The bellagio of tracks is Zmax, in my backyard. Money bought it's place and novelty. If you think tracks are chosen based on quality of track vs logistics, you understand nothing about business 101.

I can run 8's on a nitto invo, does that make me the best street tire driver in the world? NO, it doesn't. It makes me a guy with a good setup. I can't speak to why someone tested where they did. People would be testing in florida and texas if records were the SOLE purpose of a test. I had countless people rent my track for testing. Why did they do it? Because we were close to them. I had plenty of nascar drivers test cars, yes nascar guys doing drag racing, at my track. Only because we'd guaranteed everything closed off with no video or pictures.
As far as tracks to hold a major NHRA event many qualification have to be met (only the best tracks are allowed to )As far as drivers a guy like Coletti or Gary Patterson can have ANY driver in the country test their prototypes (its not a guessing game they choose for a reason ) There are MANY MANY tracks a lot closer to Ford in MICH than Englishtown NJ (Coletti didnt just wake up say i got nothing better to do with 100 k lets go test in NJ and while were at it let Smith drive for the hell of it.)Driver wise your only as good as your records says you are= pull up the drag times records for Z06 Vette ,Gen 2 Vipe,r FGT ,Gen 4 Viper, Mustang Cobra you think its just shear coinsidence hes in the top 5 best times of every one of these cars.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps as far as tracks being certifyed your confused here hundreds of tracks are certifyed NHRA (absolutely no big deal )only approx 15 meet the qualifications to hold a major NHRA EVENT .

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps as far as tracks being certifyed your confused here hundreds of tracks are certifyed NHRA (absolutely no big deal )only approx 15 meet the qualifications to hold a major NHRA EVENT .

The only difference in those certified and those that host an event is proximity and logistics. I couldn't hold an IHRA race because I couldn't host the proper number of spectators. I'm far from confused. I've forgot more about drag racing and things involved in the operation of a drag than you can imagine.

I love how someone who doesn't drive his car, has never owned a track and never really been to any other track than his home track, is an expert on all 3.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I'm now proclaiming myself the best street tire driver in the country. As nobody has been as fast as me on a Invo. Hahaha, the difference between you and I 1bad is that I would never honestly make that statement and I actually drive my own car.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true thats the reason we have records for these cars.Interestingly enough 2 guys hold or are in the top 5 of every single American Supercar run down the quarter mile .( Zr-1 ,Z06 Every Gen of Viper and FGT.)

Well that's my point....what track were these records done at and were they done at a private track rental or a NHRA type of event? I'm not saying these guys aren't fast, but a lot of things can be tweaked to make a run faster trackwise if allowed ;)

Also, are these record runs going off the light or when the driver is good and ready?

We'll never be able to compare exact apples to apples, but I'd like to be at least in the same food group when comparing drag runs. A track prepped to be super sticky might be a worth at least a couple of tenths, right??

Backed when I autocrossed, the biggest joke between the drivers in the stock class was "I paid a lot of money to make that car stock!!" Having a track prepped to the extreme just doesn't make it repeatable at other tracks and times around the country...not to mention altitude, DA, headwinds, etc.

Cheers,
George

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only difference in those certified and those that host an event is proximity and logistics. I couldn't hold an IHRA race because I couldn't host the proper number of spectators. I'm far from confused. I've forgot more about drag racing and things involved in the operation of a drag than you can imagine.

I love how someone who doesn't drive his car, has never owned a track and never really been to any other track than his home track, is an expert on all 3.
Proximoity ,logistics and a ton of other factors NAMELY overall quality of the facility..Its not an event its a MAJOR LEAGUE NHRA EVENT .(THe NHRA just does not hold their Spring Nats anywhere )Atco in NJ has the ident Prox and Logistics as E-Town do you think the NHRA would allow them to hold a major event not a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.