going to change the thermostat................anything else?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I am looking to change the thermostat (is 180 okay?). Is there any sort of mod that I should do while I have the intake off? I know with my stang that they bored (I don't think that's the right term) out the intake. Is that something that is commonly done with vipers or is there something else that is done when the intake is off?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porting the intake is an overall waste of money unless it's going to compliment other mods such as forced induction and/or heads+cam work. It's pretty expensive for an extrude hone intake job and the benefits may not be worth the extra money. If staying stock, I say don't bother porting the intake.

With the intake off....consider getting it painted/powder coated a different color, valve covers too.

Also check your spark plug wires and replace them if necessary. Easier to get to the coil packs behind the intake with it removed. If upgrading spark plug wires consider AB's wires (QualityWires.com).

Check the condition of the CCV grommet on top of the block directly behind the T-stat housing. It's a rubber grommet that tees into the intake manifold under the TB's. Over time, these grommets can become brittle, crack and/or leak. Almost impossible to service with the intake installed.

Regarding the t-stat, in and of itself, a lower temp t-stat is not going to do much in helping your engine run cooler. Air flow is the biggest factor. Also, consider getting an SCT Flash tune, particularly one whereby the fan turn on/off temps are adjusted to come on lower. This in conjuction with the t-stat helps with cooler temps. Or consider this when you decide to tune your Viper down the road.

I had a 172 degree t-stat installed. Not very noticeable difference in operating temps until I did the tune with the fan settings and a vented cowl. Only once, during winter (35-40 degree weather) did I get a CEL which had something to do about the operating temp being too low. Tator chalked it up to the lowet t-stat and can throw a cell if you plan on driving your Viper in cold temperatures. There were no adverse effects from the CEL coming on.

If you don't have a service manual, you should find out the intake manifold bolt torque specs and torque sequence. The intake manifold gaskets are paper and will need to be replaced. You can get them from VPA and they're fairly inexpensive.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem I had when I did this was getting the coolant back to level. It took
forever.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96-97 had a diff intake manifold gasket than the later years. Sometime in late 97 they switched to the updated unit. The old ones could potentially develop a leak earlier than usual and can be easily identified by seeing the waviness between the runners.

Checking the price the gaskets are only 20bucks a piece at your local dealer so i'd recommend replacing them no matter what. Also i would defiantly replace the pcv valve(or orifice), grommet, and hose.

The Wizard recommended the NAPA 180 t-stat for the gen2 to me. At 25bucks Its much cheaper$ than the $100 mopar unit.
Def replace the OEM gasket though.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also thought that changing the thermostat would help cool down my '95 that was running at a higher temperature. Then I thought about it...after the fact, unfortunately. The t-stat is essentially there for your heater and to keep things warm in the motor. Going from 190 to 180 just made my heater run colder during the spring and fall. Keep in mind that t-stat is fully open when it passes 180 and stays fully open even while the temp is creeping up to 225. Wether you opened it at 180 or 190...it isn't going to make a difference when it is at 225. That's my logic anyways...225 is an acceptable temp for a '95 on a hot summer day.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a PCM change, it won't do much. The grommet is definitely something to do, if you get the intake off. It will leak eventually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets