Good luck to the true believers

Discussion in 'Sneaky Pete's Place' started by GRANGER73, Feb 3, 2016.

1. GRANGER73

GRANGER73 Viper Owner

Celebrating the three month anniversary of my original post that I hoped might start some type of meaningful dialogue in an attempt to define the mission of the new VCA, and hopefully put an end to the VOA clone mentality once and for all. However, I find it is extremely difficult to maintain a positive dialogue when a couple members attempt to dominate every thread (although one does have some street cred). It's very disconcerting. Anyhow, my efforts have provided zero results, and I know when the horse is dead, so I surrender. But before I retreat, I would like to leave those interested with my observations.
    It's pretty obvious that the mission that drove the club on its attempted resurgence back in January of 2014 has proven to be ineffective. The bylaws are a shambles; website is outdated; no magazine; failed raffles; member participation on the forums is averaging less than 30 people, undisclosed liabilities, and although promised many times, a cogent turn around plan has yet to be presented. The club is operating as a rudderless ship right now.
    For the record, this has a whole lot to do with the previous club management (group 1 and group 2) and very little to do with current management (group 3). Many members of G1 and G2 have either disappeared, or they continue to ply their wares for a competing institution. This is not meant to be an indictment of the VCA or its current management (G3). It's my personal observation of the situation as I see it today.
    Again kudos to G3 for their efforts to attempt to right the ship. We are told that a lot is going on behind the scenes. In fact several members seem to be privy to what is being discussed privately. They must be part of a new membership class that I'm unaware of. Unfortunately many that think they are helping the cause, are sorely misguided. Enough is enough.... time to do something, and In my opinion one of two things needs to happen:

1. If in fact there is a purposeful mission being developed, it needs to be shared with the membership. How about some insight as to what the plan entails? Remember that nasty word transparency?
    2. Or, If there is no plan, then let there be an OPEN adult discussion on a forum designated to discuss exactly what the future mission should be. Let's at least try for a consensus.

Lots of questions to be asked and answered. It is imperative that a mission statement be formulated outlining the goals of the new VCA going forward. Without some type of plan that is agreeable to the MAJORITY of the members, it's useless to proceed. Once that plan has been established, the bylaws need to be addressed. I was part of a major re-write project several years ago, and I believe that is what it will take to ensure that the guidelines are adequate to govern the management team. Finally a grasp of the obvious, the website must be redesigned to reflect any changes.
    I re-state my opposition to becoming a VOA clone, for the last time. Is the VCA going to be a miniature version of the VOA, trying to offer the same basics i.e. magazines, regional clubs etc., or will it really attempt to explore the many other opportunities that present themselves? I guess only time will tell. I can count on one hand those who have offered real support, so I now officially suspend my campaign to try to generate that dialogue. Good luck to those with more stamina than I. Hopefully they suffer fools better than I.

Granger

2. ViperJeff

ViperJeff VCA Legacy Member - UT/AZ

Sorry Granger

I can honestly say, I saw it coming

Jeff

3. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Has Left the Room!

Without Morpheus we are lost....oops wrong system.

Really though, It's unfortunate Granger. I was hopeful too.

4. newredrt10

newredrt10 VCA Member - Great Lakes

Granger, Shooter, please don't surrender. I do read your posts and have taken actions on some of them. If you look at the web site, you will see we have started to work on it. We will be pushing the limits of this old technology, and we maybe restricted to working with this software for awhile until our budget allows us to up grade. Granger it was your input that started us in the direction we have taken. The regions have been changed and the storage limits for pictures has been raised. There will be more later. The mission statement and by laws are in the works, and they will be the last thing we finalize. The direction we have taken is to reorganize the regions with people who want to recover the Viper nation and right now they're few and far between. Any takers? It may seem we are rudderless but we are not. We just keep being hammered on all sides. This week, it's aggravated responds to our membership renewals. You would figure after two years it would not matter anymore. The second thing was an email and telephone call from a person who's husband had past away and received a membership renewal for him. We understood how this could be a painful reminder and took action to correct the problem, but you can understand my change of feelings when I find the other club is using it as propaganda. You also talked about us becoming a clone, its the other way around. They're using our name Viper Club of America to direct people to their local club sites. As far as the special class of people in the VCA yes there is one. They're the people that call me directly. Anyone can join this class just by calling me. Granger and Shooter keep doing what your doing. Raise any questions you want.

Thank you
    Bill

Sent from my iPad

5. shooter_t1

shooter_t1 Has Left the Room!

Thank you for the update Bill. It is much appreciated.

6. LadyCruzer

LadyCruzer VCA Member - South

I don't get on the forums as much as I should, but I have been part of Group 3 for the last 2 1/2 years. I work 60+ hours a week and am not able to spend as much time on the VCA as I would like to . That being said, I would love to know what Granger and Shooter have as ideas of how to make the VCA unique. Seems to me that the other club has cloned themselves from the VCA-- using the same web designer, web master, magazine designer. Our bylaws were revised after the split, we have introduced E memberships, legacy memberships, R memberships for raffle participation, so these are all things that are unique to the VCA. We need members who are willing to volunteer and organize events in their regions. I would love to see Shooter rejoin. Would either of you like to help us?

If so please contact newredrt10.

7. GRANGER73

GRANGER73 Viper Owner

The mission statement MUST be finalized first. This is a difficult to do, but it forces you to do your homework, and think through all aspects of what you want the club to be. In any endeavor it's the first couple of mistakes you make that seals your fate. Every miscue that follows just compounds the problems created by your first error.
    Once that is accomplished, a pro forma budget must be prepared. This will likely cause you to reach the conclusion that your final goal is not attainable, at least in the short run, based on current revenue. You will have to then generate a 2-3-4 step plan that allows you to reach that final goal. For me, I need to see some serious consideration that that process is well underway. EX. The magazine. Great goal, but not in the cards for the short run.
    Additionally a VOA jar needs to be setup. Every time someone mentions the VOA as it relates to the clubs direction, needs to pay a fine.

(Unbeknownst to me the idea of a VOA cuss jar was first proposed by Sam Goldfarb about three weeks ago in the thread "Ideas to make he VCA better")

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  8. Sam Goldfarb

Sam Goldfarb Viper Owner

That's a great idea, don't know why I didn't think of that! Wait I did several weeks ago!

9. GRANGER73

GRANGER73 Viper Owner

So acknowledged.

10. ViperJeff

Granger,

I understand what your saying, however, let me add that some things can be done on a zero budget and if possible shouldn't wait. The web updates, forum updates and a few other items can be done before the budget has been finalized. For example, my position is a volunteer position and I just don't moderate. Unlike some, I've jumped out of line and asked myself "What can I do for My Club". I really don't expect that to be what everyone does, but as you have seen, there are a few of us. All of these things done using our own time and resources. All these things to improve on what we have. I guess I'm a bit different abd believe that more than one thing at a time can be worked on and I surely don't want Bill to think he's on an island.

Yea... Guilty.... True believer here

and no.... I don't think you're wrong and appreciate you staying in the dialog
    Jeff

11. ViperJeff

Sam, for the life of me I can't figure out a guaranteed way to collect. Not that I ignored you :D

12. GRANGER73

GRANGER73 Viper Owner

The web site, the forums, volunteers, moderates have little, if anything to do with the direction/mission of the club. Ahead full speed. The development of a mission statement is a really tough project. Lots of soul searching. Who is out target member? Does he have to be an owner? What do we have to offer that is missing in the market? What is within our present capability? As I previously mentioned, in any undertaking it's the first few mistakes you make that can come later up to bite you in the ass. In my opinion without establishing that goal it will be tough to proceed as a unit.
    I'm staying in the dialogue, contrary to my prior statement, because I don't want to see a lot of effort go to waste. What is the mission? What is our goal? Need to know. Simple request...can someone justify producing a hard copy quarterly magazine?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  13. Sam Goldfarb

Sam Goldfarb Viper Owner

Tax lien on their property! Eventually they'll want to sell their house and .......

14. ViperJeff

understood... thanks :smirk: