Got schooled by CA Smog tech

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to get a car smogged today, and got schooled. We talked afterwards and he was actually a good guy...

Anyhow, in all seriosity, here are some tips for those who have 'grey area' cars that need to get smogged.

California is apparently sending out a ton of under-cover agents to smog shops to try and catch them at passing cars that shouldn't pass. The fines and penalties to the shops are BIG, and I suppose this is California's way of finding a new revenue source... Basically, the under-cover guys will go out in modified cars and try to get them passed at smog check stations. The cars run the whole range of types and styles - from mid-seventies muscle cars through late model imports, exotics, and luxury. They'll typically have something on them (like headers, intake manifold, exhaust) that is visible, but doesn't have an ARB number prominently displayed.

Basically, if you drive up in a car that sounds like it has a modified exhaust, the smog check guys will automatically scrutinize you big time. Apparently, the under-cover agents always show up in cars that have aftermarket exhaust systems - the sound is supposed to give the smog check guys a 'fair shot' at failing them by giving them some tell-tale signs that the car isn't stock and needs to be looked at closely.

Two major things will either cause the smog guys to REALLY scrutinize you or possibly fail you just to be on the safe side. One is if you drive a modified car and don't 'know' the car really well. They'll ask you questions about what you did to the car, how long it took, did you do it yourself, how hard it was, what shop worked on it, etc. If you look at them like a deer in headlights, or are full of crap, they'll worry about you.

The second thing is they'll ask you up front how you want to pay for the smog check. If you say 'cash' you can pretty much expect your odds of getting failed on the visual check to quadruple... I was told that, since the name on the "DMV Renewal" notice (you have to show that to them for them to even start the process) typically won't match the name on the credit card of the agents, they always pay in cash. So, when you bring in your renewal notice, hand it to them along with a credit card so that there's no question.

I've gone through hell with smog check stations in the past for no obvious reason, and the guy I talked to today really put it all into perspective for me. One time, a guy 'failed' me because he couldn't 'see' the cats on my GTS and wanted to send me to a referree station (NOT a good thing). I argued with that guy to no avail and drove off thinking he was the biggest a-hole on the planet. After today's conversation, I remember that I was paying cash that time - so that might explain things...